• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As much as I appreicate Edgar Church.....

29 posts in this topic

My GOD, that:s a beauty!! hail.gif

Thanks. It's hard to find a Reilly copy that isn't.

I will admit to not having seen alot of Reillys, but there were at least a couple early Fox books that were fairly ordinary. Get past those or that time period and the quality is superb.

gossip.gif Love that Adventure. Looks brand new! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great idea for a thread! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute. sorry.gif

Compared to the Churches, so much less seems to be known about the whereabouts of some of the other top pedigrees, such as Reilly and Allentown. I'd love to see other threads devoted to these and other non-MH GA pedigrees so we can at least assemble in one place those we know about.

Marvel 29 SF Copy. That is not a chip in the top right corner, it just was not colored red for some reason.

marvel29f.jpg

marvel29b.jpg

Bill;

An absolutely beautiful copy of a SF copy. Just love the colours on this book. cloud9.gif

Reminds me of the time I was holding two SF books in my hands and passed on both of them. foreheadslap.gif

This was back in the very early 90's during one of my first SD conventions. Was at Jon Warren's little booth and I pulled out three really nice GA Timely books. Two of them were Marvel Mystery in the mid 20's and the third was either a Cap #29 or #31. Typical me as I held onto these 3 books for the longest time as I hummed and hawed about them while a line was starting to form behind me. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Ended up passing on the two MM and picking up the Cap book since it was the best condition of the 3 books. I wanted to limit myself to only one of them in order to leave some money for other books that might come up. Well, the next guy in line grabs the two MM without hesitation and then asks why I had passed on both of the books. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

He then explained that both of the books were the SF copies and showed me the G codes and what they meant. He later came up to me and told me that he had traded one of the books (or in part of a trade) for the Larson copy of Exciting Comics #9.

The collector was Steve Carey who obviously knew a lot more about GA books than me. Just surprising that Jon Warren who was OS's pricing editor at the time didn't know they were the SF copies.

Still waiting to acquire a SF copy of any book for my collection and doubt I will ever be able to do this given the current prices in today's market for this pedigree. frown.gif

Marvel 29 SF Copy. That is not a chip in the top right corner, it just was not colored red for some reason.

marvel29f.jpg

marvel29b.jpg

Bill;

An absolutely beautiful copy of a SF copy. Just love the colours on this book. cloud9.gif

Reminds me of the time I was holding two SF books in my hands and passed on both of them. foreheadslap.gif

This was back in the very early 90's during one of my first SD conventions. Was at Jon Warren's little booth and I pulled out three really nice GA Timely books. Two of them were Marvel Mystery in the mid 20's and the third was either a Cap #29 or #31. Typical me as I held onto these 3 books for the longest time as I hummed and hawed about them while a line was starting to form behind me. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Ended up passing on the two MM and picking up the Cap book since it was the best condition of the 3 books. I wanted to limit myself to only one of them in order to leave some money for other books that might come up. Well, the next guy in line grabs the two MM without hesitation and then asks why I had passed on both of the books. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

He then explained that both of the books were the SF copies and showed me the G codes and what they meant. He later came up to me and told me that he had traded one of the books (or in part of a trade) for the Larson copy of Exciting Comics #9.

The collector was Steve Carey who obviously knew a lot more about GA books than me. Just surprising that Jon Warren who was OS's pricing editor at the time didn't know they were the SF copies.

Still waiting to acquire a SF copy of any book for my collection and doubt I will ever be able to do this given the current prices in today's market for this pedigree. frown.gif

Ugh! What a story. Steve had/has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Maybe we should make him sell us the Larson Exciting 9!

sumo.gif

If I stil had it, I would! (not) 27_laughing.gif

lou has a good memory...Jon Warren didn't seem to care much about designating pedigree status (lou, remember he had those books in cheap plastic flip folders 893whatthe.gif) as I recall him saying his books were priced "as is" (and though expensive, they weren't ureasonable).

I actually was sort of a buying agent for Richard Evans at the time, and passed along all those Timely books to him. I could have a pretty darn impressive collection with just all those pedigree Timelys that slipped through my fingers <sob, sob>

Ah, the Good Old Days...

STEVE

Hey I know Rich, met him when he was working for Howard Rockman (sp) at Over the Rainbow in New Mexico. I remember going to Rich's place and geeking out on his incredible collection. He had an incedible collection of Timely's (still does) and I got to see the Mile High Captain Marvel Junior 1. It was pretty incredible!

If I stil had it, I would! (not) 27_laughing.gif

lou has a good memory...Jon Warren didn't seem to care much about designating pedigree status (lou, remember he had those books in cheap plastic flip folders 893whatthe.gif) as I recall him saying his books were priced "as is" (and though expensive, they weren't ureasonable).

I actually was sort of a buying agent for Richard Evans at the time, and passed along all those Timely books to him. I could have a pretty darn impressive collection with just all those pedigree Timelys that slipped through my fingers <sob, sob>

Ah, the Good Old Days...

STEVE

Richard has many agents. I used to supply him with Timely's as well. Including the aforementioned 29!

He has a truly great collection! thumbsup2.gif

Sweet books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tim;

I think a San Fransico would look really nice in your collection! thumbsup2.gif

Mine too! cool.gif

Actually, I'd love to own one of the San Francisco Sub-Mariners. But considering they are virtually all 9.4s and 9.6s, I'd have to sell a kidney or other valuable body part just to finance it.