• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic Cage Collection

132 posts in this topic

aman-

I stated before I've bought several Cage Planets. I prefer having vs not having the book a Cage book, but I personally ascribe only a small premium (<5%) to them. I'll always choose the superior book when buying but if everything is equal, why not the Cage book. I wonder what motivated him to buy that particular issue, and what Metro was thinking when trying to assemble the Planet run for him. Overall the grades are high, but not the highest, and the QP tends to be better than average, but nothing extra special.

I like Cage as an actor and person, but am not enamored by anyone's celebrity. And I hate manufactured collectibles. I would argue that the Dallas Stevens designation smacks of manufacturing, but with the Cage books, there's some legitimacy there.

I show Nic Cage the Mile High Planet run which I had just acquired for my own collection. He wanted to purchase the Planets run but I had no interest in selling it. I proposed the next best thing - putting together a high grade unrestored run for him. It took me about 30 days to assemble and the rest is history.

Stephen

Why so long? poke2.gif

West

aman-

I stated before I've bought several Cage Planets. I prefer having vs not having the book a Cage book, but I personally ascribe only a small premium (<5%) to them. I'll always choose the superior book when buying but if everything is equal, why not the Cage book. I wonder what motivated him to buy that particular issue, and what Metro was thinking when trying to assemble the Planet run for him. Overall the grades are high, but not the highest, and the QP tends to be better than average, but nothing extra special.

I like Cage as an actor and person, but am not enamored by anyone's celebrity. And I hate manufactured collectibles. I would argue that the Dallas Stevens designation smacks of manufacturing, but with the Cage books, there's some legitimacy there.

I show Nic Cage the Mile High Planet run which I had just acquired for my own collection. He wanted to purchase the Planets run but I had no interest in selling it. I proposed the next best thing - putting together a high grade unrestored run for him. It took me about 30 days to assemble and the rest is history.

Stephen

Why so long? poke2.gif

West

a HG unrestored complete Planet run in 30 days - that is pretty AMAZING....... acclaim.gif

can anyone list ANY of these supposed benefits the Cage promootion aded to our little hobby? Point to ONE extra sale by ANYone intrigued by the fact that Nic Cage owned it? Nic who????

I once bought a car because it was owned by Jon Voight. thumbsup2.gif

Chris

The subtle irony is that the "Nic Cage Collection" is really the "Metropolis Comics Collection" that just happened to be in Nic Cage's possession for a short amount of time.

Kudos to Stephen for being so open about this collection.

aman-

I showed Nic Cage the Mile High Planet run which I had just acquired for my own collection. He wanted to purchase the Planets run but I had no interest in selling it. I proposed the next best thing - putting together a high grade unrestored run for him. It took me about 30 days to assemble and the rest is history.

Stephen

So what were your criteria for putting together this run for him? I can't imagine for the low number Planets you'd have a lot to choose from in 30 days of searching, although I really don't have a handle on the depth of your buying resources for these kinds of books. Of course I'm trying to get a sense on how stringent the filter was with this collection and whether it is something special or something you had little trouble assembling. Based on the CGC census numbers, many books are in the top 5; however, I'm not sure how many HG raw Planets are still out there.

aman-

I showed Nic Cage the Mile High Planet run which I had just acquired for my own collection. He wanted to purchase the Planets run but I had no interest in selling it. I proposed the next best thing - putting together a high grade unrestored run for him. It took me about 30 days to assemble and the rest is history.

Stephen

So what were your criteria for putting together this run for him? I can't imagine for the low number Planets you'd have a lot to choose from in 30 days of searching, although I really don't have a handle on the depth of your buying resources for these kinds of books. Of course I'm trying to get a sense on how stringent the filter was with this collection and whether it is something special or something you had little trouble assembling. Based on the CGC census numbers, many books are in the top 5; however, I'm not sure how many HG raw Planets are still out there.

If the book was unrestored and in Fine or better, it made it's way into the run. However, most of the books were VF or better.

Stephen

can anyone list ANY of these supposed benefits the Cage promootion aded to our little hobby? Point to ONE extra sale by ANYone intrigued by the fact that Nic Cage owned it? Nic who????

Chris

Did Jon own the car before or after he filmed Deliverance? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

Did Jon own the car before or after he filmed Deliverance? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bought it from George Costanza I will have to ask him when I see him. yay.gif

C

Chris

Did you buy it just because Angelina may have ridden in it? confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Chris

Did you buy it just because Angelina may have ridden in it? confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Just because I removed the upholstery and bed sheets out of it should not be seen strange, weird or even slightly stalkerish.....I am just a big fan thumbsup2.gif

Chris

You should be turning your inventory every year. why isn't there a premium for church copies anymore? has anyone told John Verzyl?

And why wouldn't comics like Luke Cage be original owner comics? It's likely that Cage could have purchased them from the stands. I don't know why he had multiples of some issues though.