• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic Cage Collection

132 posts in this topic

The books from Nicolas Cage's collection, other than about 50 misc horror comics, that were not sold in the Heritage auction were books from the last 30 years and worth less than $20 each. Every book of any value were sold in the auction.

S

thank you stephen smile.gif happy holidays!

everybody else - who else here owns or knows anyone who owns any of the Nicky Cage collection comics?

I bought one of his Hulks - I think I bought it from drbanner - I think it was issue 170 or thereabouts. Probably not one of the books you are wondering about....,

My impression is that Cage wasnt a lifelong Vintage Comicbook collector.

He amassed the entire collection in a very short period of time.Is that correct???

yes he had some good headhunters looking out for him and sending him copies to approve before purchase, but like all millionaires, he overpaid for his convenience.

Certainly you are not referring to the unrestored VF Action #1 that I sold him for $150,000 or the Allentown Detective #38 I sold him for $60,000 or the VF Amazing Fantasy he bought for $10,000?

S

Wholesaler! poke2.gif

A V.F unrestored Action 1 ?

Not a cgc graded copy ,right? The only V.fs on the census are the 8.5 kramer [pce]copy and the 7.5[ slight work] but in blue label. I thought he only had the 4.5 Action 1 that he sold for 86k

You raise some interesting questions? Were there 2 Action #1s? Yes. Did I sell him 2 copies? Yes

Perhaps this is a topic that can be addressed in a seperate thread. It is a very interesting tale.

S

I always wondered why a man worth 100 million dollars could only pull off a V.G+ 4.5 ACTION #1. That did occure to me many times over the last 5 years or so.

I always assumed that was the best copy available.

You ever see that copy? Beautiful front cover [easy 6.0] all the damage was on the back cover knocking an otherwise 6.0 down to 4.5

I always wondered why a man worth 100 million dollars could only pull off a V.G+ 4.5 ACTION #1. That did occure to me many times over the last 5 years or so.

I always assumed that was the best copy available.

You ever see that copy? Beautiful front cover [easy 6.0] all the damage was on the back cover knocking an otherwise 6.0 down to 4.5

I saw it on JP's site it was a sweet presenting copy.

For the Incredible hulk 170 cage collection person - yes i am referring to who else on here owns some cage books whether big or small smile.gif

and stephen F./Metro I was referring not to the immense bargain prices, the allentown books were nice, I was referring to the $6,000 marvel mystery 89 .

For the Incredible hulk 170 cage collection person - yes i am referring to who else on here owns some cage books whether big or small smile.gif

and stephen F./Metro I was referring not to the immense bargain prices, the allentown books were nice, I was referring to the $6,000 marvel mystery 89 .

You must be talking about the Marvel #89 that I sold for him $2500 (invoice 15958). The same book that was later falsely claimed to be the Mile High copy (certainly not by me). Is that the book you are talking about?

Are you making the claim that I sold this book for $6,000? I can provide the paperwork if you would like.

S

Or are you talking about the Marvel #62 (Mile High) that I sold him $6000 that later sold at auction for $6600. Is that the type of overpaying you are talking about?

S

You must be talking about the Marvel #89 that I sold for him $2500 (invoice 15958). The same book that was later falsely claimed to be the Mile High copy (certainly not by me). Is that the book you are talking about?

Are you making the claim that I sold this book for $6,000? I can provide the paperwork if you would like.

S

My understanding is the MMC #89 was sold to Cage by PCE. The book was sold to PCE by me. I showed the book to John Verzyl who also confirmed it was a MH and used to own it! It was certified as a MH by CGC.

West

S

My understanding is the MMC #89 was sold to Cage by PCE. The book was sold to PCE by me. I showed the book to John Verzyl who also confirmed it was a MH and used to own it! It was certified as a MH by CGC.

West

To be clear, I sold him the book January 9, 2002. It was sold to him to upgrade a lower grade copy I had sold him years earlier. You can confirm with Roter that this book DID NOT come from him.

OK. Let's the details out. When did John sell it? How much did he sell it for? Who did he sell it to? I know who I bought it from. I know how much I paid. And I know how long that person had it.

The Adventure #82 I sold to Cage was not a Mile High but it was later slabbed as a Mile High.

S

S

West

To be clear, I sold him the book January 9, 2002. It was sold to him to upgrade a lower grade copy I had sold him years earlier. You can confirm with Roter that this book DID NOT come from him.

OK. Let's the details out. When did John sell it? How much did he sell it for? Who did he sell it to? I know who I bought it from. I know how much I paid. And I know how long that person had it.

The Adventure #82 I sold to Cage was not a Mile High but it was later slabbed as a Mile High.

S

John Verzyl sold it to Ernie Gerber in 1987 along with the certs he gives out. I bought it from Gerber in 1991 for $995 as it is listed in his auction catalog (he also had the #88 which was sold to him by Verzyl and was also certified by CGC as the Edgar Church/ Mile High copy). I had the book for a number of years and showed it to Verzyl many times, yes he did want it back. I put the book up on PCE where Rotor said a client of his was really interested in the book. I assumed that client was either you or Cage. The book sold on PCE. About 3-4 years later it turned up for sale in Cage's collection where I bought it again. I still had the old cert which acts like a fingerprint confirming it was indeed the same copy. I send the cert with the book back to CGC where they talked to Verzyl and confirmed it for the 4th time that it was indeed the Edgar Church/ Mile High copy.

whew! flowerred.gif

West