• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone remember when Cigarette TV commercials were oulawed in '69?

25 posts in this topic

Well I remember when I stumbled upon a bunch of the "Winston Superking Man" TV commercials on 16mm film. It was really a hoot, but I stumbled upon this 1961 Flintstones commercials for Winston, I hope this link works:

Well I remember when I stumbled upon a bunch of the "Winston Superking Man" TV commercials on 16mm film. It was really a hoot, but I stumbled upon this 1961 Flintstones commercials for Winston, I hope this link works:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1TBBp4dC8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1TBBp4dC8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's insane. Didn't Barney get cancer??

times sure have changed!

Yep, and in 20-30 years, our kids will probably be laughing at all the beer and liquor commericals and sponsorships.

"You mean they actually had an NFL Bud Bowl.. with bottles of beer playing football?" 893whatthe.gif

Don't forget the Flintstones was a prime time cartoon ... not Saturday morning.

I already knew that, and I didn't find it any less surprising.

You do remember they banished Joe Camel to never never land because there was just the slightest chance that kids would be attracted to it,..right?

Winston was the sponsor of Flintstones at that time. As such, they could integrate their product with the characters. That commercial actually runs into the end credits Special status. I cant remember exactly, but their might not have been any OTHER commercials other than Winston in the whole half hour. This was in the transition era from old school (50s) advertiser sponsorship, to the free for all ad agency managed spot purchases an many different shows, And it was a whole minute long! Seemed to go on on forever didnt it?

I always remember the anti-smoking one something to the effect..."Like Father Like Son". Show a kid in a car I think copying his das driving,and maybe something else,then the dad grabs a cigarette out of a pack to smoke,and the kid does the same thing. Maybe a late '60's-early '70's commercial. That one and the pollution commercial with the Indian.I've seen the Indian one on You Tube,if anybody knows the "like father like son" please post a link. Thanks! Joey

Downright scary if you watch the children towards the end:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhvHB62ph8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhvHB62ph8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

confused-smiley-013.gif

Here's one of those drive-ins that just ended on Ebay for $375!

998ZZZAGFA.jpg

REMCO MOVIELAND DRIVE-IN THEATER

I always remember the anti-smoking one something to the effect..."Like Father Like Son". Show a kid in a car I think copying his das driving,and maybe something else,then the dad grabs a cigarette out of a pack to smoke,and the kid does the same thing. Maybe a late '60's-early '70's commercial. That one and the pollution commercial with the Indian.I've seen the Indian one on You Tube,if anybody knows the "like father like son" please post a link. Thanks! Joey

It was that very add which prompted my father to quit smoking thumbsup2.gif