• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage auction. Did you get what you wanted?

33 posts in this topic

Thanks to Heritage I added a few more Timely's to my collection, including the very tough Daring Comics #9 8.0 and Larson Marvel Mystery #8 8.0. What did you guys get? Add anything special to your collection? Tell us!

Timely

I picked up six books so far.

Five Atlas books (a few are White Mountains and a few are Circle 8) and one DC (that is also a White Mountain copy). cloud9.gif

Prices were quite reasonable and all and all a good day. Unfortunately, the few other Golden Age books I really wanted have too high of reserves for me to bid. Such is life. Also, would have liked to bid on some of the Gaines copies but just can't justify the prices (considering there are multiple ultra high grade copies around). boo.gif

Glad you got some nice books Timely. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Timely,

I've seen the Larson #8 many times while going through various

catalogs - it sold several times in the 90s and looks incredible -

congratulations.

The Larson #9 is another book that was first graded restored by CGC

and then came back blue label on the resub. Your trimmed Church

copy is only the second book I've heard of where this has happened.

Very very depressing. I was the under bidder on 6 books. I don't hold out much hope for my chances tomorrow either.

Where are the market crash guys now. I bid considerably above guide for every book and still got beat out.

frown.gif

Bought nothing. I guess the market is higher than I'm currently prepared to bid. It looks like I'll have to turn seller again. Congrats to those who bought what they wanted. Good luck all.

For those who didn't win or decided not to bid, what type of books are you bidding on?

Also, a lot of books didn't sell so you might be able to get them in a second chance auction (but most didn't sell because the reserve was too high).

Not to tell anyone how to collect, but if you feel that the market price of books is too high, usually the only way to get around that is to buy a slightly lower grade.

I would love to only buy NM books, but I wouldn't be able to get many books. I see nothing wrong with owning a lower grade copy of a book that fits well into your collection, and waiting until you can afford a nice copy.

I didn't win squat! mad.gif

The winning bids were outrageously high on most the books I looked at, and the new "Buy it Now" prices are a friggin' joke. For example, a book will have an estimate of $1,000, and the BIN price is $1,200? confused.gif

So far I've only won one item. I had bid on bunches of SA Actions and Supermans but they all topped out at what I consider to be ridiculous prices. Over $1000 for Action #300 CGC 9.4!

These kinds of prices might briing some of those DC collections out of the woodwork.

The other book I was interested in was the Superboy #1 9.0. It didn't make reserve and is now available on the BIN for over $13K. WUWT? Didn't a Superboy #1 9.2 JUST sell last year for around that price? The market can't be THAT hot for Superboy comics. If someone buys that for $13K, I might try and sell my 7.5.

I am stunned at some of the winning prices on these books. I was gunning for the Action #50 and #61 MH's, thought I overshot on my max bid on-line, then got absolutely blown away by phone bidders. Probably better off that happened. But pissed off and out of frustration I went to plan B and picked up that More Fun #68 MH, Superman 14, and Batman 8. Probably shouldn't have done that either, but I'm a little light on DC's. And I just had an itch that needed to be scratched last night. Mr. Timely, was that More Fun book one of yours? And that MM #8 is a great book!!!

am stunned at some of the winning prices on these books. I was gunning for the Action #50 and #61 MH's, thought I overshot on my max bid on-line, then got absolutely blown away by phone bidders. Probably better off that happened. But pissed off and out of frustration I went to plan B and picked up that More Fun #68 MH, Superman 14, and Batman 8. Probably shouldn't have done that either, but I'm a little light on DC's. And I just had an itch that needed to be scratched last night. Mr. Timely, was that More Fun book one of yours? And that MM #8 is a great book!!!

While I have to admit a little ignorance of the books you wanted and ended up getting, I like the one's you did get more. They have great covers, and you paid around the estimates (instead of significantly more).

Also, do you always spend between $15-20K when you have an itch? I'd hate to see what would happen if you had poison ivy. 27_laughing.gif

I am stunned at some of the winning prices on these books. I was gunning for the Action #50 and #61 MH's, thought I overshot on my max bid on-line, then got absolutely blown away by phone bidders. Probably better off that happened. But pissed off and out of frustration I went to plan B and picked up that More Fun #68 MH, Superman 14, and Batman 8. Probably shouldn't have done that either, but I'm a little light on DC's. And I just had an itch that needed to be scratched last night. Mr. Timely, was that More Fun book one of yours? And that MM #8 is a great book!!!

Those two MHs went for crazy money! I was watching those and couldn't believe the hammer prices.

The Action #1 didn't sell and it doesn't seem to be offered in the post-Auction sale. I wonder what the reserve was on it? (This is the one with the holes punched through the comic).

No, and if it came off a little brazen my apologies. Those were not my intentions. I just earmarked a long time ago this year to be the one I really get my collection going and take it to the next level. Trust me, these are not my normal spending habits.

I used to own all those Actions as well as the More Fun #68. The More Fun #68 is a 9.6 but CGC (Borok) does not like feathering on the spine, so they knocked it way down. The ink reflectivity on the book is incredible, hopefully you can see it through the CGC case. The colors are 100% perfect. You will not be disappointed!

Timely

Thanks to Heritage I added a few more Timely's to my collection, including the very tough Daring Comics #9 8.0 and Larson Marvel Mystery #8 8.0. What did you guys get? Add anything special to your collection? Tell us!

But pissed off and out of frustration I went to plan B and picked up that More Fun #68 MH, Superman 14, and Batman 8. Probably shouldn't have done that either, but I'm a little light on DC's. And I just had an itch that needed to be scratched last night.

Whoa, is it a bit chilly in here? I think I've got some major shrinkage going on in my (wannabe 27_laughing.gif) BSD region. ooo.gif

I take it you gentlemen are not married? grin.gif

But seriously, I ended up like Bonds and didn't win anything. Didn't really expect too, though, since I'm saving up my wad for Chicago. Plus there's a decently priced eBay auction I'm watching and some books on ComicLink I'm still debating on buying. We shall see ....

Alan

Compared to last year, I thought the prices were very reasonable...Or else I paid way too much last year! It seems like people are having a patient attitude now. Why buy everything now if other great books will be available next time around?...I think initiallty (when CGC first surfaced), collectors underestimated the true availability of quality high grade material...After a couple years, I think collectors are more patient will their buying practices...I know I am...

So what did you get this year?

I got shut out on some original art (but was only the higher bidder on two when internet bidding ended on Heritage's Site).

I wanted a few Golden Age books but the BUMP pushed most of them too high, so my last chance will be Saturday.

Good Luck everyone. Hope you all fill a hole or two in your collection (at a reasonable price of course).