• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay Fee Increase

65 posts in this topic

Jeez,

I hadn't heard about this hike yet. I'm so sick of Feebay. I doubt I'll even bother selling much on there anymore unless it's on one of their special promo insertion fee days.

I mean shoot, they just raised the fees to the $0.35 and that had me boiling. frustrated.gif

Dear goldenageauctions,

An important part of any business strategy is the regular evaluation of pricing structure. From time to time, we make pricing changes to correct unhealthy dynamics in the eBay marketplace, as was the case last July. Typically, however, we make changes on an annual basis at the beginning of the year.

Today, I'm here to tell you about fee adjustments for eBay.com and eBay Motors which go into effect on January 30, 2007.

Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.

Core Listing Fees: Auction-Style & Fixed Price*

Fee Type

Starting Price:

Starting Price $1.00 - $9.99

Old Fee $.35

New Fee $.40

Final Value Fee

Selling Price:

$25.01 - $1000.00

Current Fee 3%

New Fee 3.25%

Come on, this is just carefully crafted horse manure. They've got people by the short hairs and there's nothing you can do about it besides start your own auction house. Kind of like starting your own grading service, watch the apologist for ebay jump out of the woodwork just like they do for other enterprises. I buy less and less from ebay and I only buy from people who don't rape you on shipping.

Fee Type

Starting Price:

Old Fee $.35

New Fee $.40

Final Value Fee

Selling Price:

$25.01 - $1000.00

Current Fee 3%

New Fee 3.25%

Looks like it's time to raise the shipping costs... insane.gif

Core Listing Fees: Auction-Style & Fixed Price*

Fee Type

Starting Price:

Old Fee $.35

New Fee $.40

Final Value Fee

Selling Price:

$25.01 - $1000.00

Current Fee 3%

New Fee 3.25%

893censored-thumb.gif

It's getting worse and worse.

They are killing the little guy with small priced items.

I remember it used to be $0.25 to list anything under $9.99... frown.gif

Fee Type

Starting Price:

Old Fee $.35

New Fee $.40

Final Value Fee

Selling Price:

$25.01 - $1000.00

Current Fee 3%

New Fee 3.25%

Looks like it's time to raise the shipping costs... insane.gif

That's suppose to go up soon too... 893censored-thumb.gif

These days i will only list during a 10 or 15 listing day. Otherwise not worth the loss of revenue. time to watch shipping rates go up smile.gif

These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.

[/b]

How does this keep the marketplace strong for sellers when they are taking more money from our pockets.

Am I that dumb that I don`t understand. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

If anything lower your fees then you will get more listings.

John

Actually, I have heard a lot of sellers who have been asking for this for a long time.

Their thinking is that higher fees will cut down on competition as people decide it isn't worth the effort.

Less competition, and less listings they think will lead to higher ending prices.

That is the theory I have heard anyway.

Not sure if I agree with it or not though.

Come on, this is just carefully crafted horse manure. They've got people by the short hairs and there's nothing you can do about it besides start your own auction house. Kind of like starting your own grading service, watch the apologist for ebay jump out of the woodwork just like they do for other enterprises. I buy less and less from ebay and I only buy from people who don't rape you on shipping.

Reminds me of what I've seen banks do. In the beginning, they have low fees and accept all accounts. But as they get bigger, they realize that small accounts aren't profitable so they start creating account minimums and fees to discourage small accounts.

I think eBay is becoming more focused on power sellers and driving away small-time sellers.

So you buy a comic that's $3 in Guide for 50 cents, 16.7% of Guide. Sounds like a good deal and you want to flip it. You add a ten-cent backing board and list it on ebay starting at 99 cents, costing you 40 cents. It sells for the opening bid because it's a common enough book and there are enough copies around that it's only cover price in the Guide. Ebay charges you a Final Value Fee of 6 cents.

Your sunk costs: $1.06

Your turnover: $0.99

And that's if your buyer doesn't want to pay via Paypal. And that's if all your items sell. And if you don't have a BIN of $3 on the book as a listing upgrade. So even if you buy $3-in-Guide stock at a sixth of Guide, your buyer pays by MO, and 100% of your items sell at what most people would call FMV of $0.99 each, you still lose money, even if you place no monetary value on your time spent sourcing the book in the first place, creating the listing and shipping the book.

And if ebay feels you are overcharging on shipping to make perhaps 50 cents on the book instead of a seven cent loss, or asking paypal users to pay a surcharge to cover your contributions to building their private volcano lairs, they can suspend your account.

If anyone can reach a conclusion other than that selling dollar comics on ebay is utterly futile, I'd love to hear from you.