• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Opinions on the GA Marvel Masterworks?

20 posts in this topic

Anyone purchase these and enjoy the reproduction quality?

I've been considering buying them, but most people have told me that the repro value is poor. The most recent one is pretty good supposedly, but the day glow coloring always gets me...

I did and I am! The only thing that's not "ideal" is the lettering is clumsy, but that's how they were. I'm working on the Marvel Comics Vol 1 now, and the Subby stories are amazing! I've got the Sub-Mariner one and MC vol 2 too, plus All-Star 1, Captain America 1, and the Atlas Era Vol 1 on order! smile.gif

FYI: http://collectedcomicslibrary.blogspot.com/2006/12/9-new-essentials-in-2007.html

9 New Essentials in 2007

Thanks to my friends over at the Marvel Essential and DC Showcases Yahoo! Group, it was discovered that there are a few more Essentials on the way from Marvel. No exacts dates are given. But you'll notice that FF and Silver Surfer on the list, just in time for the upcoming movie.

Essential Spider-Woman Vol. 2

Collects Spider-Woman #26-50, Marvel Team-Up #97 and Uncanny X-Men #148

Essential Defenders Vol. 3

no contents yet

Essential Silver Surfer Vol. 2

Collects Silver Surfer (1982) #1, Silver Surfer (1987) #1-18 and Annual 1, and Marvel Fanfare #51

Essential Marvel Two-in-One Vol. 2

Collects Marvel Two-in-One #26-52 and Annual #2-3

Essential Dazzler Vol. 1

Collects Dazzler #1-21, Uncanny X-Men #130-131 and Amazing Spider-Man #203

Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 6

Collects Fantastic Four #111-137

Essential Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1

Collects Marvel Comics #1-8

Essential Golden Age Sub-Mariner Vol. 1

Collects Sub-Mariner Comics #1-8

Essential Golden Age Captain America Vol. 1

Collects Captain America Comics #1-8

I would nromally be all over those, but i find the reproduction is so murky and bad!! they did a better job in the 1960's in "Fantasy Masterpieces"... I don't know how they went downhill instead of improving things! The DC volumes are so much bettter.

And yes, the coloring just looks plain poor. I'll still buy them at some point, but I won't pay full cover price for them.

That being said, what a great reference tool! Worth it just to read the stories.

Essential Golden Age Marvel Comics Vol. 1

Collects Marvel Comics #1-8

Essential Golden Age Sub-Mariner Vol. 1

Collects Sub-Mariner Comics #1-8

Essential Golden Age Captain America Vol. 1

Collects Captain America Comics #1-8

Good to know. I hadn't noticed those in the schedule. The only one I ordered is the Atlas era coming out soon. I'll post my opinion about it once I get it.

I don't know how they went downhill instead of improving things! The DC volumes are so much bettter.

I've often wondered if DC doesn't simply maintain a better archive of good b&w stats of the GA material for reprint purposes than Marvel has over the years. The archives are uniformly pretty great, and if you ever notice the cover repros in particular they are usually absolutely flawless.

Looking at the credits, it would seem that both DC and Marvel are using at least some of the same people to remaster their material at this point.

Greg Theakston here,

I worked on the ALL WINNERS series, as well as the CAP reprints, and can tell you that I've spent an average of three hours on each page, using the "Theakstonizing" process.

Got the second volume of ALL WINNERS two days ago, and have to tell you the the repro is very satisfactory.

Marvel has gotten it's sh... er, stuff together in their GA reprint series.

Well worth your dollars.

And yes, I have issues with the day-glow effect as well.

Will Eisner did too. Requested that DC use a 10% less value on the color so it wouldn"t glow so much.

Worked.

From the trenches,

Greg Theakston

Greg Theakston here,

I worked on the ALL WINNERS series, as well as the CAP reprints, and can tell you that I've spent an average of three hours on each page, using the "Theakstonizing" process.

Got the second volume of ALL WINNERS two days ago, and have to tell you the the repro is very satisfactory.

Well worth your dollars.

Will Eisner did too. Requested that DC use a 10% less value on the color so it wouldn"t glow so much.

Worked.

From the trenches,

Greg Theakston

Thanks for helping to make these stories available in a quality format! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have a hard time resisting some of these reprints of GA, since I've read a few of the originals. Archives also seem to have a decent resale value if space ever becomes a concern or if your interest change. It's just great to be able to read some of these stories at your leisure. You can always keep a stack of old comics nearby to have that "smell" that most collectors love when you're reading an archive or masterwork.

Hi Greg,

I reread my earlier post, and just wanted to apologize if I sounded negative... these are such a great tool for collectors. How else would I read MARVEL MYSTERY #1 to 8??? I think what I meant to say it is really the coloration I found distracting... it is unfortunate they couldn't work from some reference copies of the original inside material. But I haven't seen any recent editions like ALL WINNERS.

I have read your restored reprint material in the Kirby volumes (I love the black and white work you have done!! ), and the Marvel Timely reprints, and I have to say I'm a huge fan of what you do. No one else is covering that material!

Ryan

ps. Greg, I am curious why more reprint series don't just feature original scans/photographs , like the Archival Photography SPACE FUNNIES of two decades ago? I love seeing the original textures of the page, and the original colors.

Greg Theakston here,

Well worth your dollars.

Worked.

From the trenches,

Greg Theakston

Very interesting information... I will have to check them out as I am starting to become more attracted to at least reading some of the GA material. However, I notice that the paper stock and coloring generally seems to be better in DC's archives... is there any particular reason why?

Hi Greg,

"I reread my earlier post, and just wanted to apologize if I sounded negative... these are such a great tool for collectors. How else would I read MARVEL MYSTERY #1 to 8??? "

For only about a hundred bucks.

" I think what I meant to say it is really the coloration I found distracting... it is unfortunate they couldn't work from some reference copies of the original inside material. But I haven't seen any recent editions like ALL WINNERS."

All Masterworks are reconstructed using the original colors as guides.

"I have read your restored reprint material in the Kirby volumes (I love the black and white work you have done!! ), and the Marvel Timely reprints, and I have to say I'm a huge fan of what you do. No one else is covering that material!"

Ryan

A.C. Comics is doing a good job as well. MISS FURY is next from us, though the numbers were so low I probably won't do a second volume, ditto THE BEST OF JACK COLE. WILL EISNER: EDGE OF GENIUS is up after that. ALEX TOTH: E.of G. came in strong, so all three will be issued.

"ps. Greg, I am curious why more reprint series don't just feature original scans/photographs , like the Archival Photography SPACE FUNNIES of two decades ago? I love seeing the original textures of the page, and the original colors.

"

Yes, but the poop printing comes along with those. Show-through, specs, clogged lines, etc.

Regards,

GT

Hi Greg,

I reread my earlier post, and just wanted to apologize if I sounded negative... these are such a great tool for collectors. How else would I read MARVEL MYSTERY #1 to 8???

Ryan

Ryan,

The repro on MM #1-4 sucked big-time. I didn't bother to buy it. Tainted the entire process, and reputation of the line. Marvel is finally getting over the mis-fire with better product.

Reminds me of the FANTASY MASTERPIECES G.A. reprints. Horrid! As a kid who didn't know too much, I knew they stank, big-time.

Amazing how everything gets better with better repro, and a dolup of Daisy. Sorry, the commercial come on while I was writing this.

Regards,

GT

Hi Greg,

I reread my earlier post, and just wanted to apologize if I sounded negative... these are such a great tool for collectors. How else would I read MARVEL MYSTERY #1 to 8???

Ryan

Ryan,

The repro on MM #1-4 sucked big-time. I didn't bother to buy it. Tainted the entire process, and reputation of the line. Marvel is finally getting over the mis-fire with better product.

Reminds me of the FANTASY MASTERPIECES G.A. reprints. Horrid! As a kid who didn't know too much, I knew they stank, big-time.

Amazing how everything gets better with better repro, and a dolup of Daisy. Sorry, the commercial come on while I was writing this.

Regards,

GT

Hey Greg,

Any plans for Marvel to release more obscure Timely titles, like DARING MYSTERY, MYSTIC COMICS, or USA COMICS?

And where can I get release info on the MISS FURY reprints you spoke of? Is PURE IMAGINATION publishing that?

thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

Expect Cap V2, Torch V.2, Sub-mariner V2, U.S.A. V.1, Daring Mystery V1. Marvel Mystery V.3 over the next eighteen months.

Regards,

Greg Theakston

Pure Imagination

Thanks Greg ... its nice to see Marvel paying attention to the more obscure titles like DARING MYSTERY and USA, in addition to the mainstream ones. I have always been curious about the content of the lesser known titles.