• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your most obnoxious encounter with a non collector.

60 posts in this topic

Mine was with my brother in law several years back. He and his wife were visiting and had already surpassed the three day fish rule by a week. He was talking about his gun collection so I decided to talk about my comics. Never one to know when to leave well enough alone, I decided to bring out a few examples of WWII covers. I handed one to him and started explaining the finer points of that particular book. My brother in law liked to use his hands and he proceeded to use them by bending the book several different ways, back and forth, side to side, he even tried to roll it up like a newspaper. Since it was in a mylar he could only do so much to it, so I didn't scream until he turned the mylar upside down and gave it a shake, causing the Pep 30 to slip right out onto the floor. Fortunately, it was in a mylite and only dinged a corner a bit, but we both bent down at the same time to retrieve it and bumped heads. I, of course, got the book first, saving it I believe from this inhuman beast. He could tell by then that I cherished these books and before I could retrieve the rest of them, began thumbing through them. When I told him he couldn't pull them out to read, he started calling me a nancy boy and wanted to know where I hid my beanie baby collection, since everybody knew that sissies collect those along with comics. "What the hell good are they" he said. "You can't shoot moose or girly-men with them, so what's the point?" I explained to him what they were worth and that impressed him a bit, but he still eyed me suspiciously and never turns his back on me. The guy's a tool.

Mine was with my brother in law several years back. He and his wife were visiting and had already surpassed the three day fish rule by a week. He was talking about his gun collection so I decided to talk about my comics. Never one to know when to leave well enough alone, I decided to bring out a few examples of WWII covers. I handed one to him and started explaining the finer points of that particular book. My brother in law liked to use his hands and he proceeded to use them by bending the book several different ways, back and forth, side to side, he even tried to roll it up like a newspaper. Since it was in a mylar he could only do so much to it, so I didn't scream until he turned the mylar upside down and gave it a shake, causing the Pep 30 to slip right out onto the floor. Fortunately, it was in a mylite and only dinged a corner a bit, but we both bent down at the same time to retrieve it and bumped heads. I, of course, got the book first, saving it I believe from this inhuman beast. He could tell by then that I cherished these books and before I could retrieve the rest of them, began thumbing through them. When I told him he couldn't pull them out to read, he started calling me a nancy boy and wanted to know where I hid my beanie baby collection, since everybody knew that sissies collect those along with comics. "What the hell good are they" he said. "You can't shoot moose or *spoon* with them, so what's the point?" I explained to him what they were worth and that impressed him a bit, but he still eyed me suspiciously and never turns his back on me. The guy's a tool.

You should have whacked the Neanderthal with one of your Beanie Babies.

Jack

those tags can hurt

Mine was with my brother in law several years back. He and his wife were visiting and had already surpassed the three day fish rule by a week. He was talking about his gun collection so I decided to talk about my comics. Never one to know when to leave well enough alone, I decided to bring out a few examples of WWII covers. I handed one to him and started explaining the finer points of that particular book. My brother in law liked to use his hands and he proceeded to use them by bending the book several different ways, back and forth, side to side, he even tried to roll it up like a newspaper. Since it was in a mylar he could only do so much to it, so I didn't scream until he turned the mylar upside down and gave it a shake, causing the Pep 30 to slip right out onto the floor. Fortunately, it was in a mylite and only dinged a corner a bit, but we both bent down at the same time to retrieve it and bumped heads. I, of course, got the book first, saving it I believe from this inhuman beast. He could tell by then that I cherished these books and before I could retrieve the rest of them, began thumbing through them. When I told him he couldn't pull them out to read, he started calling me a nancy boy and wanted to know where I hid my beanie baby collection, since everybody knew that sissies collect those along with comics. "What the hell good are they" he said. "You can't shoot moose or girly-men with them, so what's the point?" I explained to him what they were worth and that impressed him a bit, but he still eyed me suspiciously and never turns his back on me. The guy's a tool.

Shoot "homos"? This man needs to be sterilized with one of his own guns. Preferabely a sawed-off shot gun.

Your most obnoxious encounter with a Canine.

I was in my room doing inventory on my books.All of my key books were on the floor.maybe 200 of them.While I was deep in thought making my comic catagory list, I heard the sound of paper tearing behind me. My dog who LOVES to chew paper had just ripped the cover to my Spiderman # 1 to bits. .Not these new chromium delux number 1s But the real macoy from 1962 .He was holding down the book with his paws and biting chunks out of the cover and throwing the chucks into the air and going back in for more. Luckily I guess, it was a low grade copy but the scary thing is it could have easily been my Action 1.Thats why I was not balistic about it.Thank god I didnt put the Action 1 down in that spot.That would have been a photo for the recored books.Also,

He was lucky I loved him so much.

"Civilians" aren't allowed to touch any of my comics, even the krappy moderns. That's how I avoid obnoxious encounters.

I know. What the heck was I thinking? This was several years ago and I guess I was trying to impress people, which never turns out right when you try too hard.

Your most obnoxious encounter with a Canine.

I was in my room doing inventory on my books.All of my key books were on the floor.maybe 200 of them.While I was deep in thought making my comic catagory list, I heard the sound of paper tearing behind me. My dog who LOVES to chew paper had just ripped the cover to my Spiderman # 1 to bits. .Not these new chromium delux number 1s But the real macoy from 1962 .He was holding down the book with his paws and biting chunks out of the cover and throwing the chucks into the air and going back in for more. Luckily I guess, it was a low grade copy but the scary thing is it could have easily been my Action 1.Thats why I was not balistic about it.Thank god I didnt put the Action 1 down in that spot.That would have been a photo for the recored books.Also,

He was lucky I loved him so much.

Yet another reason to get your books slabbed....

I decided to sell my Western comic collection about 3 1/2 years ago. I had about 200+ GA books. I chose to contact an ebayer from the area, that had an extremely good rep selling books on ebay. He came to look at the books, which I had all spread out in neat stacks on our large dining room table. He started grabbing the books, for a quick look, and then threw them 6 to 8 feet back on the table, with no respect for the books whatsoever. Many of them were about 7.0 to 8.5 I was shocked, but kept my cool. I ended up selling him about 85 books for dirt cheap. I must say, he was one strange character, and not at all what I expected.

Mike

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm not exactly sure what he was thinking. My wife and I were thinking he was pretty weird. The books were bagged and boarded. I did have one book he never had owned. It was a Western Roundup #1 I can't imagine anyone doing this sort of thing, whether or not you have seen 100 comics of the same issue. I was going to show him my FC collection of over 200 books, which included many NM copies.