• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If I had the money to collect original art, this would be a grail...

8 posts in this topic

It's gorgeous -- and, boy howdy, do I love Good Girl art. But is this a reason this is your grail...as opposed to just a terrific piece of OA?

I've always thought that my grail piece would have to be by a special artist (even if only special to me), with a "significant" character (again, even if only to me: Angel from the X-Men is my fave rave but there are others) and would be representative of a comic or comic event that really mattered to me at some point in my life.

Which is probably way too many "grail" rules for me to ever find my particular favorite piece.

And not too pricey (comparetively). $5k for a Chiodo painting (with "make an offer") of 3-D Alien Worlds #1 (PC) cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-CHIODO-3D-ALIEN-...VQQcmdZViewItem

hail.gif1572310-AW3D1.JPG

$5k in one go is a lot of money. If it is a 'Grail' for you, why not ask for time payments - or a bank loan spread out to acommodate affordable repayments? confused-smiley-013.gif

$5k in one go is a lot of money. If it is a 'Grail' for you, why not ask for time payments - or a bank loan spread out to acommodate affordable repayments? confused-smiley-013.gif

I remember another member of this board saying the one thing he couldn't imagine doing in this hobby was to take a loan to fund an art purchase and I secretly thought, I'd do it in a heartbeat if it would net me a "grail" piece.

Of course I might have some difficulty explaining to the bank why I'd borrowed money for a new car when I don't drive but hey. blush.gif)

Joseph

I remember another member of this board saying the one thing he couldn't imagine doing in this hobby was to take a loan to fund an art purchase and I secretly thought, I'd do it in a heartbeat if it would net me a "grail" piece.

Of course I might have some difficulty explaining to the bank why I'd borrowed money for a new car when I don't drive but hey. blush.gif)

Joseph

Over the years, I've taken out quite a few bank loans to buy original art. The bank clerk goes through the motions of expressing an interest in the type of art you're borrowing the money to buy. I just say, "Oh, it's illustration art . . . probably by someone you've never heard of." cool.gif

Better than saying, "I'm buying COMIC-BOOK art!" blush.gif

Actually, I quite like that Chiodo painting myself. $5k seems like a good price. Done a number of deals with the owner, Ken Danker (Monster's Collectibles) - he's flexible and easy to do business with. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I could always re-pay a visit to my bank's 'loan arranger' (geddit?), to fund another art purchase. "Oh yes, I'm buying an original painting, y'know!" wink.gif

i have to agree as well if you see something you really want. ask the person if they will time payment, the worse thing they can say is no. for every one that say no there is one that will say yes. ;]

larry ;]