• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a Bronze X-MEN thread?

1,202 posts in this topic

How about discussing some of them for once?

That's a fair request and I enjoy talking about books.

One of the things that attracted me to the "new X-Men" when they came out in the 1970s was the great covers. The stories were fantastic, but I will never forget walking into my LCS one afternoon and seeing a newly-arrived run of X-Men 94-130+ all posted on the wall side-by-side and being struck by how different the covers seemed from previous X-Men books and from a lot of other books at the time. A lot more color, more action and a sense of something dynamic seemed to jump from many of the books and it was really reinforced when they were all put together. Most of my favorite X-Men covers are still from this period.

I personally consider X-Men 143 to be a "bronze book" even though it was published in 1981 and 1981 is generally considered to be copper age. I think that the storyline/art break from 143 to 144 was more defined than it was from 137 to 138.

Nice books by the way....

I think the "slow burn" Phoenix storyline hooked me and kept me there for years afterward. I really dont think the X-men went sour until around 220 or so. I think Jim Lee was wasted in the 250s and 260s.(Other then that Cap America issue that I still love to this day. I had him autograph it a few years back.) It was storytelling at its best for a long time in this book. I dont think anyone realized until years later just how good it was. My problem these days is that I can find anything even close to it. JSA is the only thing I could even come close to comparing to it and its a wide comparison.

Is it just that these stories of my childhood and teenage years were just so far ahead of everything else or am I just being too picky? If I pay $3.00 for a book I want to go WOW when I read it. Other then JSA, Trials of Shazam, and occasionally Exiles for fun comics just dont go WOW anymore. I have to settle okay and it pisses me off.

I think the "slow burn" Phoenix storyline hooked me and kept me there for years afterward. I really dont think the X-men went sour until around 220 or so. I think Jim Lee was wasted in the 250s and 260s.(Other then that Cap America issue that I still love to this day. I had him autograph it a few years back.) It was storytelling at its best for a long time in this book. I dont think anyone realized until years later just how good it was. My problem these days is that I can find anything even close to it. JSA is the only thing I could even come close to comparing to it and its a wide comparison.

Is it just that these stories of my childhood and teenage years were just so far ahead of everything else or am I just being too picky? If I pay $3.00 for a book I want to go WOW when I read it. Other then JSA, Trials of Shazam, and occasionally Exiles for fun comics just dont go WOW anymore. I have to settle okay and it pisses me off.

You are right about that. I guess that as we grow older our tastes in reading grows as well and we come to expect more from what we are reading. Even though i do still enjoy reading x-men i have also enjoyed reading titles from the (yes i know i will burn in hell for saying this) Vertigo imprint. But even with those, there seems to be a lack of good quality "Wow" story arcs, though i have been enjoying The Fall of the Shiar Empire story arc.

I too have been enjoying Uncanny X-men lately. I buy online now so I pay 30-40% of cover, but I have to wait a month so I am a little behind, but so far Brubaker has not disappointed. I worry that they will try to turn him into Bendis and burn him out with so many books. The guy has done an excelent job with CA, X-men and DD.

I personally consider X-Men 143 to be a "bronze book" even though it was published in 1981 and 1981 is generally considered to be copper age. I think that the storyline/art break from 143 to 144 was more defined than it was from 137 to 138.

Nice books by the way....

I actually feel the other way. 137 put an end to the climax that Byrne/Claremont had spend so long building up, 138 is for me a "transit" book looking back at the X-men since 94 (and quite a good read) and the CA for me starts with 139. that is where the new style starts and where the alien arc slowly begins (if i remember correctly) The books were the ones drawing me into comics and the danish version of 128 being the first comic book i bought off the newstands here in DK cloud9.gif it was not until years later i read the 94-128 issues.

That being said i collect the 94-143 run but dont consider myself being a CA collector so.. confused-smiley-013.gif