• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just read X-Men #12 for the first time...

16 posts in this topic

Silly post I know, but I just thought I'd share the fact that I actually found time to read a comic tonight! acclaim.gif I enjoy collecting comics but with a hectic job and family with 2 small children, I rarely find the time to sit down and actually READ one! Well today I opened up a package of books I bought and one of them was X-men #12 which featured not only the origin of Professor X, but of the Juggernaut as well. The copy wasn't high grade and I realized that I had never read this particular issue. So I sat down, shut the door (to keep out destructive little hands) and dived in. I soon realized I either didn't know (or forgot) that Juggernaut was Xavier's step-brother! Anyway, it was a very cool read and I'm glad I took the time to enjoy the book... it kind of reminded me why I collect these things in the first place! Of course, it ended in a cliffhanger before the X-Men actually got into their first battle with Juggy. So now I've got to get a copy of X-Men #13 and find time to read it as well! insane.gif

My Birthday book!

July 12th, 1965. I love the fact that the cover of this book says July and 12 on it.

Excellent read to.

Artboy99

I can't believe someone on these threads are older than me...

you old fart!

grin.gif

I only wish I was that young again! sorry.gif I bought that one off of the racks!

This is awesome, but I am trying to get my "Whatcha Reading" thread

important enought to be pinned by people posting in this thread about

what they're currently reading...

What are you currently reading?...

crazy.gif

foreheadslap.gif Whoops...shoulda read all the other thread titles first! Oh and BTW...I'm a fellow old fart...June 1965! acclaim.gif

That comic is one of the best. I am astounded that Lee and Kirby could turn out so many great comics each month at such a high level of quality. For Lee it was more than ten scripts a month, promotion, edits and art direction. For Kirby it was several pages each day, most every day. There was no thought of "art" with a capital A or doing something for the ages. It was making a living, entertaining kids, getting product out there mixed with self respect and respect from members of the industry. They were the Beatles of the comic world.

I love the Juggernaut story. I like it even more when I think of the conditions it was created under.

crazy.gif

foreheadslap.gif Whoops...shoulda read all the other thread titles first! Oh and BTW...I'm a fellow old fart...June 1965! acclaim.gif

I break 40 this year...Dec 67

That is a wonderful comic. IIRC, you don't actually see the Juggernaut until (near) the end. The whole story is this invincible, partially seen monster coming for Xavier. Basically, they put successively stronger barriers in his way, and he keeps smashing through them. By the end of the story (continued next issue), you have no smegging clue how the X-Men (don't forget, relative lightweights in the MU at the time) could possibly stand against this creature. It totally looks like 'Game Over'.

On a smaller scale, it's akin to the first appearance of Galactus - an enemy so powerful it blows your mind and you wonder 'How are they really going to get out of this?'.

crazy.gif

I break 40 this year...Dec 67

Bah, you are still a kid, why when I was your age.....