• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Share my sorrow...weep for me...stop me from banging my head against the wall...

63 posts in this topic

So you wait years for a particular book to show up on eBay. Literally YEARS. Finally, it does, and it's a long week waiting for the auction's conclusion so you can throw in your bid, then wait patiently for that magic moment when the book arrives. The thrill of holding it in your unworthy hands after all this time!

Your precious is only a 4.5, and the very copy being auctioned last sold for about $400, so you make sure you've got the money ready in your Paypal account. Heck, you pad it to just over a grand to be sure!

The moment arrives. With just a minute to go, the bidding is at $725, but you have no fear as you enter your bid of 1,051.99. You're high bidder!

But all good stories have a twist at the end, and this one is no different. With 26 seconds to go, someone bids $1076.00! At first, you feel betrayed, screwed by fate, but then you realize...wait! There's still time! So you enter a bid of $1151.00 and hit enter. The "confirm your bid" screen comes up and you hit enter again. You watch the little blue bar make it's slow progression from left to right. When it's almost halfway there...DISASTER! Internet Explorer suddenly closes! With no provocation whatsoever! You hadn't cursed it or anything!

Still, you're unsure if you're bid went through or not, so you furiously re-open Internet Explorer and race to My eBay, where the full brunt of the tragedy quickly becomes apparent. Mocio123, your eBay nemesis for all things Nedor, has beat you once again.

There is no joy in Mudville tonight. Only sorrow, and pain, and a blister on your big toe from the three set tennis match you won 6-7, 6-4, 7-5.

But make no mistake, the next time a cover comes along for a first issue, a war cover, a Hitler cover, a Tojo cover, a Schomburg cover, all these things wrapped up in a pretty plastic case, I'll be there...oh yes, I'll be there.

Share my sorrow...

Wonder Comics #1 CGC 4.5 off-white pages

Your story is a sad one. My nemisis on Ebay keeps doing the same damn thing to me. It's just wrong. It's even worse when you know that they have at least 3 other copies of that same book and you still don't have one sumo.gif

Your story has done some good though... it has reminded me that I need to make sure my bid on Hake's isn't going to get sniped... Thank you sir thumbsup2.gif

Share my sorrow...

Wonder Comics #1 CGC 4.5 off-white pages

Jeff, you will get thru this...we will help you recover. We ALL have a painful story about "the one that got away". I watched in horror as my dreambook went to another Ebay bidder in the last 3 seconds back in 2005.....but I did not have a computer malfunction...just an unexplainable case of last second cold feet that had me place a more conservative snipe bid than planned, and I was out-sniped!

A copy of this book will surface again...more than one was printed. We will all look out for you, and if any of us find a copy, we will let you know. Your brothers on the Boards got your back! thumbsup2.gif

Steve

Sorry to hear that Jeff, but look at the bright side, at least you know that there's someone else out there that's willing to pay through the roof to get his hands on the type of collection you own.

Good point, Skybolt. And, I have a chunk of change in my Paypal account if something nice comes along. thumbsup2.gif

It was disappointing because, although the scan in the eBay listing was small, it appeared to be one of those copies where most of the damage must have been on the back cover. The front cover presented nicely. I can only complain so much about my eBay nemesis, as he's usually high bidder when I list a Nedor on eBay, as well.

sorry to hear about your misfortune Jeff, we've all been there before,.. outbid by some hose head at the last minute...another copy will come up,.

I agree with Sal in using a snipe service,. best thing I ever discovered thumbsup2.gif

I lost a book on heritage a few weeks back because I tried to bid in the last ten seconds and the computer froze. The book was mislabeled and it went cheap. it was a crippen book from the title I collect. I was really dissapointed... then I remembered that it's only a comic book, not life or death... just decaying paper.

if you had used an online sniping service with a 4 second buffer, you likely would have won the book for less than 1100 bux, man.

Yep BidNip is what I use.

And, I never move money into PayPal, I just use it like an ATM card, if I want to pay for something, PayPal does an automatic withdrawal from my bank account.

Oh yeah...sorry about the lose.

It is a bummer nearmint, but you did take a shot at it and, as buttock pointed out, you made the winner pay through the nose! devil.gif

nearmint:

Yes, it does sting at first. But that goes away (a little bit anyway).

Look on the bright side -- the hunt goes on! I'm serious -- isn't part of the fun of acquiring any collectible the time and trouble of finding it?

Hasn't this happened to everyone: once you acquire one of your grails, the "importance" of having it is suddenly diminished? It's not universal, but it does happen. It's an odd thing about collecting: often "wanting" something is more fun than "having" it.

Plus, it's like real estate. If you miss the deal of the century, there's always another deal around the corner.

cheers,

gozer