• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's That Time Again..

177 posts in this topic

Reminds me of a guy I saw on the local news recently. He said because of continually rising gas prices, he only puts in 3 gallons at a time. screwy.gif
He then had to hurry home and post on a message board about everybody being nerds 27_laughing.gif

Here's a somewhat cautionary tale re: those checks the credit card companies send along with your bill...

I get those checks every month like most everyone else...couple of months ago I decided, 'what the heck, I'll use one of these checks to make 7 more advance payments on the car, pay off the $4k from that check when the next Visa bill arrives, get another 4k miles on my airline mileage plus account, and be further ahead on the car payments."

Of course, that turned out to be the month when I also charged $10k in airline tix and hotel/apartment reservations for a trip to the UK, and $5k in other charges... I get the bill, pay off all but the $4k from the credit card check, and figure I'm okay 'cause the credit card check stated 2.9% interest 'til Sept. or so. Turns out that the FIRST $4k of my payment for the month went toward the credit card check, so the $4k I didn't pay off was left on the card at 22.9% or whatever usurious rate the cc company charges for 'regular' balance left on the card...!

They're sneaky devils, those cc companies... gotta watch 'em all the time!

'Sneaky' is far too mild a pejorative, Garth. I've never owned or used a credit card in my life, I'm proud to say. Sure, I forego some perks, but my life's not missing anything (except X-Men #1-11), and the feeling I get from denying those *spoon* companies a little business is worth all the miles from here to Mars. And no one's keeping a frakking database of everything I buy.

What do you have against Western NY?

-----------------------

Cuz in the past, every time I had to fly up there, it was in the middle of a snowstorm, even in the middle of the summer! makepoint.gif

What do you have against Western NY?

-----------------------

Cuz in the past, every time I had to fly up there, it was in the middle of a snowstorm, even in the middle of the summer! makepoint.gif

Allright, you got me there. tonofbricks.gif

I've never owned or used a credit card in my life, I'm proud to say. Sure, I forego some perks, but my life's not missing anything (except X-Men #1-11), and the feeling I get from denying those *spoon* companies a little business is worth all the miles from here to Mars. And no one's keeping a frakking database of everything I buy.

Ted, is that you?

i spooned myself in the spoon with credit cards a few years back, almost everyone i knew did too. spooning sucks.

ah what the hell you live and learn.

I've never owned or used a credit card in my life, I'm proud to say. Sure, I forego some perks, but my life's not missing anything (except X-Men #1-11), and the feeling I get from denying those *spoon* companies a little business is worth all the miles from here to Mars. And no one's keeping a frakking database of everything I buy.

Ted, is that you?

27_laughing.gif No, but see, I'm not the only one!

Here's a somewhat cautionary tale re: those checks the credit card companies send along with your bill...

I get those checks every month like most everyone else...couple of months ago I decided, 'what the heck, I'll use one of these checks to make 7 more advance payments on the car, pay off the $4k from that check when the next Visa bill arrives, get another 4k miles on my airline mileage plus account, and be further ahead on the car payments."

Of course, that turned out to be the month when I also charged $10k in airline tix and hotel/apartment reservations for a trip to the UK, and $5k in other charges... I get the bill, pay off all but the $4k from the credit card check, and figure I'm okay 'cause the credit card check stated 2.9% interest 'til Sept. or so. Turns out that the FIRST $4k of my payment for the month went toward the credit card check, so the $4k I didn't pay off was left on the card at 22.9% or whatever usurious rate the cc company charges for 'regular' balance left on the card...!

They're sneaky devils, those cc companies... gotta watch 'em all the time!

'Sneaky' is far too mild a pejorative, Garth. I've never owned or used a credit card in my life, I'm proud to say. Sure, I forego some perks, but my life's not missing anything (except X-Men #1-11), and the feeling I get from denying those *spoon* companies a little business is worth all the miles from here to Mars. And no one's keeping a frakking database of everything I buy.

I got rid of all my Credit cards 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. yay.gif If I don't have the cash I don't buy it. and I still have a sizable comic collection. Heck I paid cash for my FF #1 took a couple months to save up to buy one, but well worth it. cloud9.gif Teaches one to buy only what you want rather than impulse buys.

Marvel and Julius:

I envy you. If I could get away with having NO credit cards, I'd do it... but between travel and business expenses, it's just too difficult without one. I only have one card, and pay it off every month, with very few exceptions.

Yes, "sneaky" is being far too kind... they're life-sucking leeches who prey most efffectively on those who can least afford it. Just like those check-cashing outlets that take 3% for providing the 'service'...

Actually I was in debt up to my ears 5 years ago due to credit cards (thanks mainly to my ex) Dumped her and with a little effort, my new wife and I have enough in my untouchable saving (can't use for fun stuff like comics) to not have to work a year or two. In my case it came down to self discipline. I can understanf if business expense get in the way. I don't need to travel. (No I did not file Bankrupcy worked my way out of the hole.)

How do you travel anywhere? How do you rent a car? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm all for not having debt, etc. etc. etc, but there are things that simply require plastic.

If you "use" plastic (instead of having it use you) you can reap serious benefits. Besides the obvious "time before you pay up" convenience benefit, if you shop for the "best reward cards" you can make a lot of $$$$.

I make well over $1K a year (in Cash, not miles or gifts) from various credit cards while they make $0 from me directly (they obviously get their 3% +/- from merchants)... because I either pay off the entire balance at the end of the month... or in cases where I need a free 6 to 12 month loan (or more)... I obtain 0% Balance transfer / 0% interest cards for the above mentioned time period. If you have good or great credit you can get what you want when you want for the most part.

Credit Card compaies are loan sharks pure and simple, but with discipline and by "borrowing" within your means... you can make them a source of income.

I would suggest checking out creditcards.com and obtaining...

• (1) Advanta Business card (regardless if you have a business... you can have one). Several (including the Advanta) give you 5% cash back on gas and auto related expenses... 5% off of utilities including gas, electric, cable internet, phone, cell phone, etc. Some discount all computer related equipment and goods from office supply stores by 5% as well.

Note: Some utility companies make it difficult to pay with these cards (or won't accept them) or have a small fee. You have to do the math to see if you come out ahead in those cases. So, likely, you won't be able to get cash back off ALL the above mentioned, but even if you ONLY use it for gas... you can save 10 to 13¢ per gallon. Add that up over a year.

• (2-3) Citi Reward cards (I think they just changed the name). I say (2-3) because you can easily reach your $300 cash back limit (per card) in one calender year and will have to jump to a new card to keep the gravy rolling. This card offers 2-3% back on Grocery and other useful categories. With grocery bills exceeding $300 every 10-14 days, add that up.

Note: Citi varies its percentage cash back offers. It used to be 5%, dropped to 3% around 2 years ago and recently dropped it to 2%. However, they, like many businesses have "retention departments" which you can call and "request" the better rate. You'll only receive it if you ask.

Hope this helps... I have (3) cash back checks on my desk right now totaling over $500... earned from just January of this year. And no, only 10% at best is the result of comic activity. Going back 3-4 years, I was averaging over $2K a year in rewards when I was using cards heavily for comic business.

How do you travel anywhere? How do you rent a car? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm all for not having debt, etc. etc. etc, but there are things that simply require plastic.

Marvel and Julius:

I envy you. If I could get away with having NO credit cards, I'd do it... but between travel and business expenses, it's just too difficult without one. I only have one card, and pay it off every month, with very few exceptions.

This is true, as you and the Airborne Pastry below point out - there are some things one needs that one can't pay cash for, at least until I am elected to high political office. For those, I have a bank debit card linked to an account with no credit line, and what I do is put money into the account ahead of any purchases I make (and keep a token balance for emergencies). The only time I've had a *credit* card demanded is by car rental companies, so I use Enterprise, which takes debit cards.

Among other things, it's a great way to keep spending discipline - if I don't want something badly enough to go to the trouble of getting cash, or travelling to buy it instead of clicking online, well, then I guess it's not that important.

Yes, "sneaky" is being far too kind... they're life-sucking leeches who prey most efffectively on those who can least afford it. Just like those check-cashing outlets that take 3% for providing the 'service'...

thumbsup2.gif

just curious... am I the only one "using" credit cards in this way?

Anyone else reaping the max?

confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Nope, you're not the only one! We credit cards to the max as well, and I haven't carried a balance in, well, who knows...15 years? I should check out the cash benefit cards, but we always seem to sign up for a "new" AA card when they offer free airline tickets, which we've used to go to Europe, Hawaii, Mexico next summer, etc.,. thumbsup2.gif

Among other things, it's a great way to keep spending discipline - if I don't want something badly enough to go to the trouble of getting cash, or travelling to buy it instead of clicking online, well, then I guess it's not that important.

Personally, I find the best way to keep spending discipline is... to be disciplined. Just because I have a $100K spending limit on my credit cards doesn't mean I have to go and spend $100K. confused-smiley-013.gif