• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 5 most recognizable Super Heroes?

92 posts in this topic

Wow I'm really puzzled by all the Wonder Woman entries, very surprising.

Really? I don't think I know anyone that isn't familiar with Wonder Woman. I know plenty of people who are not familiar with several of the names mentioned in this thread.

Really? I don't think I know anyone that isn't familiar with Wonder Woman. I know plenty of people who are not familiar with several of the names mentioned in this thread.

Sure I'm familar with WW but that has to be one of the least collected and posted series I can think of and its not like the character is marketed endlessly like the other top 4 heros mentioned and Wolverine. Robin has to be miles ahead interms of being more recognizable, even the Flash?

Robin has to be miles ahead interms of being more recognizable

I think most people don't think of Robin separately, so once they've said "Batman" they've mentally checked the Batman & Robin box.

Spiderman

Superman

Batman

Wolverine

Super Mario (oh, wait, wrong genre of pop culture)

uh...I'll go with the Hulk for today's kids...he's popular here in Germany & he is used in different commercials

Sure I'm familar with WW but that has to be one of the least collected and posted series I can think of and its not like the character is marketed endlessly like the other top 4 heros mentioned and Wolverine. Robin has to be miles ahead interms of being more recognizable, even the Flash?

You have to think longevity... Wonder Woman has been around since 1941. She's a symbol for female power, was featured in the television series from 1975-1979. Appeared prominently in Superfriends and in the Justice League as cartoons. She has more commercial items made over that period of time as well. (My wife has Wonder Woman plush dolls, Wonder Woman cookie jars, etc. And there is even a Wonder Woman Barbie.)

00004304-20041113175802-40484289.jpg

Superman

Spiderman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Hulk

Where DC's edge may be is the next five where I think characters like Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, still are more familiar than the average X-*spoon*.

That's my opinion.

This topic came up at another board and it kind of spurned me to take an unofficial geek poll (you can tell I have no job) - as I was going to use the info to do an essay (which hasn't come about yet). I asked 50 americans and 50 Italians. I asked them for 10 - every single one had Superman, Spiderman, and Batman listed/mentioned and only twice were they not the first 3 mentioned. Wonder Woman and Hulk were the other two characters who showed up 85% or more.

One character that surprised me was The Punisher which showed up on 65% the same amount as the Joker. Cartoons represented well to, as Optimus Prime and Snake Eyes were on roughly 30%.

Definitely not conclusive in anyway, but rather an amusing process that involved more than lisiting - I had questions of alter ego's and abilities as well.

could a villain rank in the top-5?

Joker/Penguin/Riddler/Catwoman perhaps?

edit: doe - i see the post above mentioned the Joker...

I put Magneto in there above Penguin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wolverine would not be recognizable to much of the general public. He just does not have the exposure as Spidey, or Supes, or Bats.

One thing no one has mentioned is the Superfriends effect. The various justice league characters were on tv throughout much of the 70's and 80's. Sure it was Saturday moring cartoons but you can't discount that factor.

Spiderman

Batman

Robin

Superman

Wonder Woman?

The Hulk?

Wonder Woman has been around since the 40s and had a hit TV show in the 70's. Very recognizable. Same can be said the The Hulk.

hello all...

I just asked my 4 year old son, to name the first super heroes that came into his head...

spider-man, superman, batman and robin, hulk, fantastic 4....

all, no doubt ,based on movies we have seen, and the Bm/Robin cuz those are comics we collect together

rick

You have to think longevity... Wonder Woman has been around since 1941. She's a symbol for female power, was featured in the television series from 1975-1979. Appeared prominently in Superfriends and in the Justice League as cartoons. She has more commercial items made over that period of time as well. (My wife has Wonder Woman plush dolls, Wonder Woman cookie jars, etc. And there is even a Wonder Woman Barbie.)

00004304-20041113175802-40484289.jpg

The question is "to the general public", right?

In that case, all that really matters (at least in the USA) is "...was featured in the television series from 1975-1979. Appeared prominently in Superfriends and in the Justice League as cartoons." Worldwide, movies probably matter more, so Hulk takes a leap.

The general public is barely aware that comic books (in pamphlet form) are still published.

Jack

Superman

Batman

Spiderman

Hulk

--these are the BIG 4--

The final fith person is not as easy.

Possibilities include:

Captain America

Wolveine

Wonder Woman

Fantastic Four members

Flash

seems to me that whatever position you place Batman, Robin would follow.

here is mine:

Superman

Batman

Robin

Spiderman

Wonder Woman

just e-mailed my wife. here is hers:

Superman

Spiderman

Green Goblin (hahahaha)

Hulk

Batman