• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Ever Get The Urge To?

44 posts in this topic

"I hear yah,

I sold a box and a half of HG slabs last year and bought tickets for 4 to visit my parents in Greece"

Uhhgg, don't get me started on travel! My cousin is getting married in some fancy part of Florida and my frequent flyer miles are blocked. After airfare, hotels (can't stay somewhere lousy with the baby), renting a car, eating, etc., etc., it's going to cost at least $2000-2500. That's a heck of a lot of forum BINs!!!!

Sell it all confused-smiley-013.gif

Say to yourself what the heck I am doing will all this stuff?

Why the hell do I have multiples of this issue?

What am I thinking with these books encased in plastic all over my house?

Only to get a box from the mailman, open it up and go cloud9.gif

I love this eee yay.gif

Never ALL, some....sure.....box....... cloud9.gifoh yeah yay.gif

I won't have to worry about that for awhile, as I'm just starting all over again - I just woke up one day this past September & said to myself, "I'm going to start collecting comics again". I have about 450 right now.....paltry compared to the 99.9% of the forum mambers....I do know that if I DID have to sell them, I would be alright,as I hadn't collected or even picked up a comic to read in 20+years...I'm in the army, went to war, raised a family...so I can say my life has been pretty fulfilling thus far, regardless of the BS I went through as a kid with the wicked stepfather abuse & everything else...I'm still here, still breathing and rekindling my love for the hobby. I'm just curious where it's going to take me. I am engaged again, we'll see how THAT pans out, as I seem to always be looking for my next ex...but as far as getting rid of all my comics, as long as I can go fishing or put on some vinyl, I'll be alright...

I love this eee yay.gif

I'm glad my comics cheered up your miserable day, punk acclaim.gif

I love this eee yay.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I know frown.gif

I go downstairs and its a disaster with books/slabs/statues/OA all over the place.

For the first time in my life I finally decided to actually put them in a spreadheet. I figure I should be done by the end of the year acclaim.gif

ya know, I used collectorz.com software to inventory my books currently just shy of 5,ooo...took 2 years, and I'm still scanning covers, but it keeps involved with my stash grin.gifyay.gif

I love this eee yay.gif

greggy's all sweetness and kindness, as usual grin.gif

I love this eee yay.gif

I've been thinking that about the majority of my collection. Actually, I'm hoping to put the bulk up for sale this weekend here on the Boards. There's some that I'd only sell if I had to, due to the fact that I'd never be able to get them back.

I love this eee yay.gif

greggy's all sweetness and kindness, as usual grin.gif

He was kind to me in the beginning. Until he saw I had a beard. blush.gif

Selling my Silver and early Bronze ASM run the end of last year was mighty tough, seeing as it's always been my fave title. Plus, I had 13 years of collecting put into it. Admittedly, the cash is nice, but I honestly miss all those cool books.

As for my books from 1972 onward, I don't ever plan to sell them. Having bought them off the rack starting in high school, they are a fun way to keep touch with my youthful past (or is it my pastful youth?). Anyhoo, maybe I'd part with the Hulk 180 cgc 9.6 or Hulk 181 cgc 9.4 for the right price... devil.gif

I think about it all the time. Then I start going through stuff, looking at the art on the walls, the statues on the bookcase and I get that feeling of when I bought it...and I don't want to part with it.

Now that I've ventured back into comics (although not high grade) , it gets me more active, I enjoy looking at stuff that I had never seen before. My 14yr old is really, really into it now, so that adds to the enjoyment of it. My father would not be caught dead looking through a box of comis, pulling something out and saying "This is cool !".....

I've actually done it a few times. I am not sure if it is four or five times that I completely sold off my collection. Sometimes I would start reacquiring books right away, other times I waited a year or two.

Kind of long term "binge and purge" comic anorexia or something?

I look at some of the stuff I have now, and think "Ah, I should move that stuff, too much money tied up in it". Then I think of not having them and blow it off.

I hear yah,

I sold a box and a half of HG slabs last year and bought tickets for 4 to visit my parents in Greece

I think that's the secret to not regretting the sale Nik, buying something tangible and meaningful with the $$$. thumbsup2.gif

Please let us know in advance what is coming on the market. GA Timely's, Atlas Superhero and heck even some GA DC's. popcorn.gif

Don't get excited, I'm talking about mostly Modern with some BA stuff. My collection isn't huge - 6 long boxes + 40 slabs (and the stuff in the safe that I'll probably never sell). I'd love to get rid of the Modern stuff (wouldn't we all), & concentrate on GA.

I hear yah,

I sold a box and a half of HG slabs last year and bought tickets for 4 to visit my parents in Greece

I think that's the secret to not regretting the sale Nik, buying something tangible and meaningful with the $$$. thumbsup2.gif

Never regretted it for a minute Jason,

Books can always be replaced, having my parents play with their grandchildren = priceless.

Reading your first post in this thread I see you answered your own question...i.e..in the end collecting still makes you happy, so all bets are off

But....a few random thoughts

I imagine it is all about maintaining some level of perspective about what we do as collectors(of comics, or anything of value)

In a perfect world we would buy what we want, when we want.(sounds fun but I imagine the thrill of the hunt is taken out of the equation) Most, if not all of us are not able to think this way. We make decisions daily that revolve around our hobby that affect not only us , but also our family.

Comics to me serve a purpose. I enjoy them on numerous levels, yet realize they do not represent what is most important to me. Friends and Family

In this past year I decided to let go parts of my collection I held so dear, some of it I sold. some I gave away as trade, some I just gave away. In each scenario it reminded me of how fleeting all this is. The more I sold the easier it was.

I think what drives many collectors to collect, is to build a collection that will live beyond our years. A legacy of sorts. A time capsule for those in the future to enjoy, that and we just frikken love this chit.

But at the same time, that collection can and should be used to enrich those around us by selling them in the here and now as needed

Recently I sold some books here in marketplace, and offline to buy things for my family that I would not have otherwise been able to buy. Frivolous, over the top gifts that they will keep for years to come. Among them Ellen's painting, and my wifes diamond earrings. It was a no brainer decision for me to make. I should not have bought half of the books I did back in the day, but I did.

Face it, this is a self indulgent hobby , any collector worth his salt is selfish on some level. It is the nature of the beast aqnd makes us good at collecting wisely I would not recommend anyone to sell off their treasure to pay off a phone bill unless you absolutely have to, bills and debt will always be ever present. Find another way. But selling some books to pay it forward is rewarding on a level I had not really anticipated.

So yes Nik, Sell them if the reason to sell will outweigh the regret and remorse of losing that which you enjoy so much.

Easy choice , isn't it?

btw, great topic and conversation

Ze-