• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The winner is!!

32 posts in this topic

after endless show after show and dealing with comic dealers who constantly lie and talk out of their arse!! I'm more then willing to take my chances on the net and after tallying up the plus & minuses I'll take Ebay over a comic show period!

Only reason (imo) to attend a major comic show is to meet the creators and artists. The rest is a waste of time, just trying to rip you off.

Oh, and BTW...I don't agree with a word that you're saying.

There are no more scam artists working as comic dealers than there are in any other sales position...insurance, car sales, advertising, etc.

And for every story you can tell about how bad a dealer is, I can tell you one about a 'customer' who tried to steal, or damaged your stuff whilst handling it without any care and consideration, or tried to sell you his 'primo' stuff that was restored up to the eye-balls...and he knew it.

Sure, I've got problems with certain dealers...but I also have great respect for many.

It really depends on what you are looking for and which show you go to.

I always boaden my scope when I go to a show.

For example, the last show I went to I was looking for High Grade SA ASM's

and since I had other things I was looking for

High Grade BA X-men for example

I walked out happy as hell because I found a key I was looking for at a very decent price.

But if you must stay away from shows. I would say that buying from the guys that are in the

CGC marketplace are a Great Deal better that tossing lotts on eBay.

There really are some nice dealers right here on the boards

(and don't think I am a seller, because I have never sold a comic in my life and hope not to)

thumbsup2.gif

after endless show after show and dealing with comic dealers who constantly lie and talk out of their arse!! I'm more then willing to take my chances on the net and after tallying up the plus & minuses I'll take Ebay over a comic show period!

Only reason (imo) to attend a major comic show is to meet the creators and artists. The rest is a waste of time, just trying to rip you off.

You've been talking to the wrong dealers. What shows have you been to? Have you dealt with Superworld? Bob Storms? Redbeard? SoCal? A-1? Bedrock?

What have they lied about? Give us some details. Name names or don;t name names but provide some conversations you've had. Thing about a show that, bottom line, has it all over ebay is the book is in your hand. You can see it and gauge condition. And if you are sufficiently educated, you should know what it is and what its "value" is and take it from there.

Bottom line? You go to a show or ebay to obtain comics. If you get the books you want, in the condition you want, at a price you want there should be no problems.

One last thought - if you engage many ebay sellers in conversation the way you can at a show, you will probably find a shocking amount of blown smoke.

I don't have the time right now to address all the things you bring up. And I don't want to attack what your personal experience may be (up to this point)

But hang out here, read up on what is what, see who to seek out at conventions, and hopefully you can come back and make a post about some of the great books you bought once you knew who to seek out, what questions to ask, and not ask.

And most of all go into the con without expectations, and sometimes things find you..rather then the other way around.

I am sorry you have bad experiences up to know, but believe me.. Conventions are a blast, and there are deals to be made, and books to be found.

Gotta run

Kenny

And a shout out to Mr S.

How is the hand?

popcorn.gif

I am a dealer and I sure would like to know what the 893censored-thumb.gif you are talking about. After you have bought the over graded , restored , pages missing , coupon cut out , low quality pictured , " I am not a professional grader but" books on ebay from grampa`s collection. You will rethink your position on buying at conventions.

At least at a convention you can actually touch the book. makepoint.gif

John

Welcome to the boards!

I for one would LOVE the opportunity to go to a Comic Con, as the last one I attended was in 1982...I am curious to see how much they have changed from being a bunch of tables set up in the flea market/expo center to the entertainment showcase they are today...you not only have the opportunity to meet some of the legends & current talents of the industry, but also get to try and haggle for that key issue you've been searching for. As for eBay sellers, I have had two kinds of luck with them ------ bad and worse!!! It's a *spoon* shoot to be sure, and remember the old saying "the House always wins.."? Check out the sellers in the Forums here. They are a great bunch of guys who sell from a "collector's" point of view...

I've been less than satisfied in terms of great HG material...the busy crowds...the manual searching (doing it from my keyboard is much easier)...but...

I've come to enjoy cons as a way to meet people I've met virtually (like here) and with dealers whom I have done business with and never met. In short, I make it a social and networking event. I've since enjoyed these events much more...and it's become less stressful for me.

Just my two cents.

I've been less than satisfied in terms of great HG material...the busy crowds...the manual searching (doing it from my keyboard is much easier)...but...

I've come to enjoy cons as a way to meet people I've met virtually (like here) and with dealers whom I have done business with and never met. In short, I make it a social and networking event. I've since enjoyed these events much more...and it's become less stressful for me.

Just my two cents.

Book in hand.....talking comics......meeting other collectors.......finding that elusive book............ cloud9.gif

eBay.......................crapshoot. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Chuck says Hi hi.gif

I vote for shows over eBay.

Another benefit of shows is getting to know dealers and vice versa. There's nothing like asking a dealer what's new and having them say, "I just got in a collection of [books you collect, are looking for, want, etc.], you can look at them before I put them out for the public."

Here is a little tidbit - this is a comic forum. Generally, there are plenty of great dealers here who you basically called rip off artists.

That makes you an idiot_.

Next time, think before write.

Welcome to the boards!