• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling My Stan Sakai Usagi YoJimbo art Opinions.

19 posts in this topic

I am considering selling My Stan Sakai Commission original.

This piece was part of a charity auction awhile back.

I am trying to raise money to bid and win the Todd Mcfarlane Sketched cover of Ultimate Spiderman # 1 that will be in the Upcoming Hero Ebay auctions.

This Piece means alot to me but the Mcfarlane would mean more.

I realize that there is gonna be some stiff competition for this piece. At first I thought I could win the Mcfarlane for 500 But I have begin to think it will hit a thousand maybe more.

If I did choose to sell the Sakai piece what would be a fair price and would anybody here be interested?

I can get a scan up later.

Kris

If you're talking about the Ultimate Spider-Man #100 100 original drawing covers, my brother and I were just talking about this yesterday and thought the McFarlane one might fetch 3-4k.

If you're talking about the Ultimate Spider-Man #100 100 original drawing covers, my brother and I were just talking about this yesterday and thought the McFarlane one might fetch 3-4k.

I was wondering how much that would go for. Unless I am wrong, a decent panel page is around the 3-4K range and surely that spidey must be bigger/better than one drawn on a comic book. If I had 3-4K (I'll have to sell my entire collection to raise that!), I would spend it on a panel page instead so I would guess a little lower.

Not that there are too many McFarlane sketches out there to compare prices with or anything!

Malvin

I am considering selling My Stan Sakai Commission original.

This piece was part of a charity auction awhile back.

I am trying to raise money to bid and win the Todd Mcfarlane Sketched cover of Ultimate Spiderman # 1 that will be in the Upcoming Hero Ebay auctions.

This Piece means alot to me but the Mcfarlane would mean more.

I realize that there is gonna be some stiff competition for this piece. At first I thought I could win the Mcfarlane for 500 But I have begin to think it will hit a thousand maybe more.

If I did choose to sell the Sakai piece what would be a fair price and would anybody here be interested?

I can get a scan up later.

Kris

Kris, is the Sakai piece one figure or two? How big is it? He still accepts commissions, so I would think the FMV would be in the $100-$200 range...more if t's larger than 11X14.

I thought the MacFarlane was a small comic book sized sketch cover. No way will it hit $3k for 7 x 10 inch sketch which is NOT on bristol board.

I'd say there is a VERY good chance that it will go that high for a number of reasons:

-It's my understanding that Marvel produced the skech cover variant specifically for this auction in an edition of 100.

-McFarlane is, along with Romita SR, the most desirable of the bunch and he doesn't sketch nearly as often as Romita.

-The McFarlane skech is damn nice.

-There are some hardcore McFarlane collectors out there and his Spidey panel pages go from $750-$5000 depending on the content. There was a decent splash from Spider-Man #3 on sale for $15000 last week. Yes, I meant to type that third zero.

-It's a charity auction. They're known to get nutty.

So do you think the sketch cover is, on its own, worth four figures?

I've not seen it. Is it dynamic, exciting, cool?

Or is it worth four figures only because of the artist behind it?

Yes I definitely do. I can't afford a McFarlane Spidey cover and to me this would be the next best thing. Add the fact that it's part of a very special limited edition and appeals to comic collectors and OA collectors and that it's for a charity and we'll all see the price up there.

I don't think the 4 figure price is only because of this particular artist as I assume many others will reach the 4 figure mark. These aren't really 'variant' covers per se as they are all original art and one of a kind. I see brand new variants that aren't even one of a kind or original art selling for 25.00. This isn't much of a stretch for a much more desireable item and you'll be one of only 100 people in the world to own one of these original hand drawn covers so I would think its an appreciable investment for sure. Maybe at some point in the future someone might try to collect all 100 of these? Who knows...

Lots of people pay 200.00 for a regular sketch at cons and this is better in my opinion in many respects, the least of which is it's rarity and collectibility and provenance.

To thecollector I hope you win it because it seems like you genuinely want it and it's always nice to see it when people work at something to get what they really want so good luck!

Here's the McFarlane image:

McFarlane.jpg

here is a scan of the stan sakai piece.

That's a nice piece. Very nice. Personally...I'd hold onto it. headbang.gif

Personally, I'd opt for a bank loan if I was heavily into McFarlane's art (which I'm not).

Problem is if you sell the other piece of art to help raise funds, there's no guarantee you'll win anything.

Why gamble?