• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Copper age Comic Books...

46 posts in this topic

Thought I would try this for each forum and hope these become well received threads. I'm always looking for a good speculative investment. So here's a couple of my picks to start. (Hopefully your posts will be for more than just liking it, like a long running series or low print runs of quality stories.)

Here's my picks:

PC (Pacific Comics) Alien Worlds and Twisted Tales had beautiful covers and these where by the company that caused Marvel and DC to up the quality of their paper and printing.

Eclipse Comics, another Copper age independant, that had some beautiful stuff. The good / quality stuff before 1986 seems to me a good choice as the wharehouse stock was destroyed by water.

Undervalued Copper Age Comics

1. TMNT #1

2. Grendel #1, 2, 3 / Primer #2

3. Creatures on the Id #1

4. Flaming Carrot #1

5. Usagi Yojimbo #1

6. Zen #1

7. Nexus #1, 2, 3

8. Oktoberfest #1

9. Whitmans

10. Megaton (all)

Honourable Mention: Dark Horse Presents #1

Visions 1 and 2. Very, very limited and the first two appearances of the Flaming Carrot.

I'm not so sure about Zen No. 1, though. Although it's a tough book to find, does it have enough of a following to be considered "undervalued?"

How about Starslayer 2 with the first Rocketeer? That's an undervalued book, but it could be helped if Dave Stevens would give up more Rocketeer stories.

I've seen loads of Destroyer Duck 1s in NM out there for cheap. It's definitely undervalued, but not much. There was a bunch of those printed.

The last issue of Jonah Hex is undervalued, as is the last issues of Justice League of America, G.I Combat, House of Mystery, Sgt. Rock, Unknown Solder, Flash, World's Finest and Wonder Woman. Try finding those at your local comic shop in high grade.

As proven by the last issues of Flash Comics, All-American Comics and All-Star Comics from the Golden Age and Star Wars from the copper age, final issues always have shorter print runs than the other issues.

Mike B.

1. TMNT #1

How is this undervalued popcorn.gif

I'd say its over valued. But, having a black cover, an only 3,000 copies printed, does make finding a high grade book difficult. Still think it is to pricey for what it is.

1. TMNT #1

4. Flaming Carrot #1

8. Oktoberfest #1

seeing as how these books already have high value, I reckon they are not undervalued.

5. Usgi Yojimbo #1

6. Zen #1

7. Nexus #1, 2, 3

10. Megaton (all)

These I think would have popped already if they had value.

My picks:

Visions 1 and 2

Quadrant 1-5

Tick #1

Dark Horse Presents Sin City issues, especially #50

Conan 270-275 (I know, 275 is already $25. Still took me 6 months to get one on eBay)

First Comics (Nexus, BW#1 in particular, Jon Sable, American Flagg, Badger)

Black Kiss

I'd love for the PC horror anthology books to pop, but I don't see it happening... still, best books of the time period.

Man, I'd forgotten about the Tick. Try finding the New England Comics newsletter the Tick first appeared in... that's tough to do... I've never found one for sale...

I'd also forgotten about Quadrant... the Peter Hsu artwork was beautiful and forbidden for me at that time since I was just a kid...

I've not been able to find a single high grade copy of Conan 275, but isn't that a modern comic and not copper?

And yeah, I don't think TMNT is undervalued, at all. Quite the opposite, in fact, as are the Grendels.

Mike B.

Early 80's final issues in high grade would be a fun hobby. Ghost Rider, Powerman, Jonah Hex JLA and some others mentioned already.

You could even go that route with the cartoon books. Get the last issues of the Whitmans and Harvey's before they started back up in the late 80's.

Fish Police #1

Trollords #1

Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters #1 (or whatever it was called)

[fill in name of *HOT* B&W from early/mid-1980s].

Someday the speculators who got badly burned on these books will look back fondly on them with nostalgia and will want to reacquire a copy for their collections. tongue.gif

1. TMNT #1

4. Flaming Carrot #1

8. Oktoberfest #1

seeing as how these books already have high value, I reckon they are not undervalued.

5. Usgi Yojimbo #1

6. Zen #1

7. Nexus #1, 2, 3

10. Megaton (all)

These I think would have popped already if they had value.

My picks:

Visions 1 and 2

Quadrant 1-5

Tick #1

Dark Horse Presents Sin City issues, especially #50

Conan 270-275 (I know, 275 is already $25. Still took me 6 months to get one on eBay)

First Comics (Nexus, BW#1 in particular, Jon Sable, American Flagg, Badger)

Black Kiss

I'd love for the PC horror anthology books to pop, but I don't see it happening... still, best books of the time period.

I agree with the Visions #1 and 2 but I think of it as Bronze age. As for Quadrant and Tick I was going to put those two but then I decided to put TMNT#1 instead.

As for TMNT #1 being undervalued, well........

Here is my reasons:

1. Technically, it should be the 1st app. of TMNT not Gobbledygook

2. Black cover which is hard to get in high grade

3. Print run of 3000 copies

4. One of the most popular comic books of the Copper Age

I am not saying it deserves a huge bump but it should be worth a little more!!!

The last issue of Jonah Hex not from what I've seen is undervalued, as is the last issues of Justice League of America yes , G.I Combat, House of Mystery not from what I've seen , Sgt. Rock yes , Unknown Solder yes , Flash yes , World's Finest and Wonder Woman not from what I've seen . Try finding those at your local comic shop in high grade.

As proven by the last issues of Flash Comics, All-American Comics and All-Star Comics from the Golden Age and Star Wars from the copper age, final issues always have shorter print runs than the other issues.

Mike B.

Almost always. The reason most series' end is because they are cancelled due to low sales, but some end naturally (or to be restarted with a new #1 in a month mad.gif).