• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old label versus new

When buying a slabbed comic, does the label make any difference in how much you are willing to pay?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. When buying a slabbed comic, does the label make any difference in how much you are willing to pay?

43 posts in this topic

I would pick an old label over a new label any day. I was actually just finished writing down this topic in MS Word to post tomorrow. Well, someone beat me to it!!

I was looking at my CGC books the other day and just can't believe how some of these comics got that grade in the old labels. I get so tempted to resubmit to CGC because I know that I would get a higher grade now!!!

I would pick an old label over a new label any day. I was actually just finished writing down this topic in MS Word to post tomorrow. Well, someone beat me to it!!

I was looking at my CGC books the other day and just can't believe how some of these comics got that grade in the old labels. I get so tempted to resubmit to CGC because I know that I would get a higher grade now!!!

Yep. old labels are my preference as well. thumbsup2.gif

If there's no evidence of SCS, I'd take the old Blue label everytime.

Buy the book, not the label. makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

That is "buying the book". The only reason I would be buying a blue label is to crack it out & resub it for a yellow one.

PQ bumps are pretty much guaranteed, and grade bumps are probable. gossip.gif

I still prefer the old red modern label confused-smiley-013.gif

I've yet to witness a grade bump upon resub of an old red label book. Old Blue labels on the other hand.... thumbsup2.gif

You've been here long enough to know it's the lore and not the facts that count when talking about labels cloud9.gif

Find my books yet poke2.gif

I still prefer the old red modern label confused-smiley-013.gif

I've yet to witness a grade bump upon resub of an old red label book. Old Blue labels on the other hand.... thumbsup2.gif

You've been here long enough to know it's the lore and not the facts that count when talking about labels cloud9.gif

Find my books yet poke2.gif

I'll dig out your crappy Cap books later.... poke2.gif

It's not "lore"....I speak from experience. sumo.gif

when buying an old blue label, anyone ever worry that it may have been sitting on a shelf or in a comic store the past 5 years exposed to sunlight day after day?

That's why you always ask for clear and concise scans before buying...

A good rule of thumb is: If the labels blue hues seem off (lighter darker etc)

then the book could of been photoshoped for a better appearance.

Anywho I would rather have a 9.0 where I was happy with its apperance than a 9.4

where I wasn't happy with its apperance.

thumbsup2.gif

I don't care about the labels as much as the inner well. I'd pick the old style red label inner well (tapered edges) over the flat rail construction which is prone to slab damage.

My X-Men 94 is an old red label with tapered inner well. It's slab damage free and may be slightly undergraded to boot. yay.gif

A good rule of thumb is: If the labels blue hues seem off (lighter darker etc)then the book could of been photoshoped for a better appearance.

I'd be careful with this line of reasoning because the blue labels have been printed with varying hues. I actually confirmed this a couple of years ago when I received a blue label slab that was somewhat lighter and called cgc who confirmed this.

I'll post an example later.

after reading this thread i began to wonder if when cgc was created did people know/think book prices would rise the way they have for the super high grade books. or was it simply to guarantee a grade? any one have insite on that?

A good rule of thumb is: If the labels blue hues seem off (lighter darker etc)then the book could of been photoshoped for a better appearance.

I'd be careful with this line of reasoning because the blue labels have been printed with varying hues. I actually confirmed this a couple of years ago when I received a blue label slab that was somewhat lighter and called cgc who confirmed this.

Really???? I have dozens of CGC books with no variance...

(I would like to see this)

I just thought this would be a key thing to judge by.

But for real, people can usually tell by looking close at the image and see it

has been significantly touched up.

Strange hues in backgrounds are a give away too.

blush.gif

blush.gif

These were all scanned using the same scanner.

This is the usual blue hue:

DD-77-label.jpg

And here are two that are slightly lighter:

DoctorStrange-179-label.jpg

DD-28-label.jpg

blush.gif

These were all scanned using the same scanner.

This is the usual blue hue:

DD-77-label.jpg

And here are two that are slightly lighter:

DoctorStrange-179-label.jpg

DD-28-label.jpg

Thanks for posting.

These are still in the "Royal Blue" family.

The photoshoped images I have seen before are either sky blue (like UNC's colors)

or dark blue (like Duke's colors)

As you can image both colors are on the opposite side of the tint spectrum

it only makes sense that they are arch enemies.

GO TARHEELS!

thumbsup2.gif