• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found out some GREAT news today Confirmed!!!

21 posts in this topic

I was unable to stay or the Phx Con art auction which had a Suydam Marvel Zombie cover the Spiderman 50 homage. It only went for $150.00 according to my LCS guy that attended apparently only 10-15 people participatedin the auction . Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif I hope this is wrong 'cause I would kill myself for not rearranging my schedule better.

I'm not doubting you, but I seriously don't buy this. The LCS guy had to be mistaken. If there were more than 2 functioning brain cells in the room, that painting would hit at least a grand.

I paid $100.00 for my sketch that he did. which is why if this is true I would be very upset. Hopefully somebody who went to the auction can confirm or disspell this story. It was a charity auction and its a sad if it did not go for more regardless of the artist. You would think other dealers in the room would buy it for more in order to flip it.

If this is true then I an REALLY kicking myself for not driving up from Tucson ...

Agreed.

At our Fallcon we have a annual art auction, and have sold some

amazing covers for unreal (at least to me) low prices. It could

have been that the high bidders were not there.

I'm curious if that was the correct final selling price.

Confirmed Price now I am really Depressed. frown.gif

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:55:09 -0700

From: "Matt Solberg" <matt@phoenixcomicon.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: "Brian Rickard" <marvel_junkie@yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: Question about Art auction at the Phx Con

Hi Brian,

The Suydam piece went for $150 at the Art Auction. Hopefully you'll be

able to join us next year at the auction.

Matt Solberg

Director

Brian Rickard wrote:

> I was wondering if you could tell me the results of the art auction I

> was unable to attend that portion of the convention and was interested

> in how much the pieces went for. Specificly the Suydam Spiderman

painting.

> Thanks for your time Brian

> frown.gif

I went to the Heroes con auction which suydam donated a piece for but It was one of those gilicee oil painting reproductions not an original. A suydam zombies cover would fetch way over 2 grand so are you sure it was the original and not one of the fancy reproductions. I tried to by an aliens cover from him once and he told me I couldn't afford it and when he told me 12 grand he was right. If it was real somebody got it for about 1 % of what Suydam would have charged and 3% of what it was worth. I am truly sick because I considered going to that show.

I saw one of those Marvel Zombies covers sell on eBay for over 10k...so the very idea of one of the original paintings selling for $150 at public auction? Well, it makes me question the sanity of everyone present. I certainly don't feel those covers are worth 10k...but anyone with common sense should have bid at least 1000.

A suydam zombies cover would fetch way over 2 grand so are you sure it was the original and not one of the fancy reproductions.

Has anyone actually confirmed that it was an actual painting and not just one of these repros?

The end price on this particular auction sounds like the sort of price that the repro would get. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A suydam zombies cover would fetch way over 2 grand so are you sure it was the original and not one of the fancy reproductions.

Has anyone actually confirmed that it was an actual painting and not just one of these repros?

The end price on this particular auction sounds like the sort of price that the repro would get. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On the bright side... Well, if it was the real thing, someone got a great deal. thumbsup2.gif

I emailed Matt again to see if it was. I personally didn't look to well I passed by the booth briefly since I knew I wasn't going to be there for the auction. I will post his response.

I am happy again. I never heard of these giclees before this thread. It makes more sense now.

Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:41:18 -0700

From: "Matt Solberg" <matt@phoenixcomicon.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: "Brian Rickard" <marvel_junkie@yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: Question about Art auction at the Phx Con

It was a giclee which is a reproduction on canvas.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Brian Rickard wrote:

> Thank you for getting back with me on the Suydam piece. I have one

> other question, was it an original piece or a reproduction item that

> is produced?

>

> Thanks again,

> Brian

On another note I got a thank you letter from Nicole, Arthur's wife for emailing a detailed scan of the sketch he did for me for their upcoming book. And I may be able to commission a small painting from him this Fall his time permitting. Like I said in another thread. Arthur and Nicole are truly great people who care about their fans and are true professionals.