• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e-bay seller

15 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone ever bought a book from a seller "coachjoe10 ". He has alot of silver age stuff listed now, but to me it just looks like the books arent up to the advertised grade by just looking at the scans. Maybe I'm a little too picky on my silver age, but any comments by anyone who has bought from him would be appreciated. Thanks!

drx

I've had one NM book that was a disappointment - it had a tiny corner crease, which in retrospect, would be allowable if you use CGC grading as a NM-.

I had another NM book that was just outstanding.

I think you just really need to examine the scans and ask questions. I think he "ranges" more than the outstanding folks on this board, but is probably right on with the rest of the pack.

tongue.gif Went and looked through most of these auctions, and everything appears to be significantly over graded. tongue.gif

He is just one of many, many high-volume eBay sellers (see Samco, Norsemanic, etc...) who somehow get top prices for their overgraded books while still maintaining an excellent feedback rating. Very, very frustrating for those of us selling correctly graded books but often getting lower prices... frustrated.gif

He is just one of many, many high-volume eBay sellers (see Samco, Norsemanic, etc...) who somehow get top prices for their overgraded books while still maintaining an excellent feedback rating. Very, very frustrating for those of us selling correctly graded books but often getting lower prices... frustrated.gif

I've bought from him twice I think...even sold him a GA book just last week. I found his grading to be just a bit soft, but not too much. Mainly no deduction for corner rounding and lack of color gloss, etc. So NM books were NM- to VF/NM.

I've bought from him several times and he has great service and his scans clearly shows he over grades by at least a point and I just adjust my bids accordling.

I sure know what you mean about the frustration of seeing perfect feedback and the decent prices he gets. I wouldn't put him in the same class as Samco1, who I feel is the worst grader of all the big sellers and doesn't have a Negative or Neutral in over a year. I can't stand his listings when he describes books as "looks VF+" and the fine print shows it's actually a FN with several problems.

Good luck,

fay thumbsup2.gif

I bought a couple books from him a year ago, was quite happy with the grading and added him to my favorite sellers. But since that batch of auctions, I've bid on nothing. Every one I've looked at has been overgraded. My impression was that his grading tended to be loose, and I just happened across some auctions where he nailed it.

Mile High Comics are recommended by Marvel for back issues. Anyone ever dealt with them on back issues? How are they for pricing and grading accuracy? I am sure I bought from their eBay store before and I can't remember if I was happy with what I got or not.

Do a search - there are threads ad nauseum on the subject. In a nutshell, 80% here think they overgrade, while the other 20% are happy because they don't pursue high grade stuff.

I bought a couple books from him a year ago, was quite happy with the grading and added him to my favorite sellers. But since that batch of auctions, I've bid on nothing. Every one I've looked at has been overgraded. My impression was that his grading tended to be loose, and I just happened across some auctions where he nailed it.

That's the thing - if everything VF and up you call NM, occasionally your grading is "accurate". I can't tell you how many times on eBay I've hit the pot of gold with the first couple purchases, then subsequent purchases end up like this poop.gif

Yes, I didnt think it was just me, and I'm just seeing what his scans show. It amazes me that sellers like this maintain such a high feedback, and some of them dont even offer refunds. Buyers need to do more research on grading and not go by the cheesy guide in the Overstreet buyers guide. The actual Overstreet grading guide was much more helpful to me when I started selling books on E-bay. Buying books and then finding out you overpaid by a least a grade aint fun. Thanks for the feedback on this subject.

drx I

Just wondering if anyone ever bought a book from a seller "coachjoe10 ". He has alot of silver age stuff listed now, but to me it just looks like the books arent up to the advertised grade by just looking at the scans. Maybe I'm a little too picky on my silver age, but any comments by anyone who has bought from him would be appreciated. Thanks!

drx

Welcome to the Boards!!! hi.gif I stay away from eBay now after getting burned a few times. I pretty much stick to the Marketplace now. For the most part, their grading is a LOT better than on ebay, & generally there are no headaches involved if you want to return a comic for a refund

I agree about coachjoe, samco, and now anitamac. Overgrading while still getting excellent feedback. People will hopefully learn. (Unless they're just stupid...)

Christo_pull_hair.gif