• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do to get your Holy Grail? (Other than crime!)

42 posts in this topic

Hey everyone...

This question is for the underpaid comic collectors out there, who don't have the loot to just go & "buy" their Grail if an opportunity presented itself...Aside from illegal activities, what would you do to try to obtain your grail? For instance, if it's AF #15, would you sell most of your high grade ASMs off to get it? Or if you are collecting multiple titles, would you sell them off to obtain said grail in another title, even if you KNEW you would probably start over collecting that title at some point? Just curious....

Bored again Drew tongue.gif

No, I'm getting ready to get off work...I'm just contemplating again selling off my X-Men collection....curious to see how many people have done the same thing before...How are you doing, Danny? hi.gif

Yeah, my grail of grails is "Amazing Fantasy" 15. I have the reprint. I don't currently have purchasing it as a goal, because it is a goal that cannot be met in my current situation.

That said, if someone was going to give me a copy to complete a dare, I would do anything really. The only thing I can think of that I wouldn't do is skydive. I think I'd probably die trying because I'd get so scared I'd forget to pull the cord. But literally anything else you can think of -- eating something weird, doing something naked, anything on Fear Factor, selling "x" item... Whatever it is, I'd probably do it.

It's a question of condition, though. I would sell my whole collection for a VF or better copy. But my collection isn't worth a VF copy. So there's a catch-22 already.

As for your X-Mens: don't sell them. I just sold my Spider-Man run to finance a Fantastic Four 48, X-Men 12, and X-Men 14. I love these books (FF48 is my favorite book that I own) but I already miss the Spider-Man books.

That said, if someone was going to give me a copy to complete a dare, I would do anything really. The only thing I can think of that I wouldn't do is skydive. I think I'd probably die trying because I'd get so scared I'd forget to pull the cord. But literally anything else you can think of -- eating something weird, doing something naked, anything on Fear Factor, selling "x" item... Whatever it is, I'd probably do it.

When you skydive, the chute will automatically deploy if you don't pull it. Also, the instructors who jump with you have their hands on you until you pull the ripcord to make sure you DO PULL the ripcord. (They climb out of the plane with you and you all let go together.) You don't get to jump alone until you complete a fair number of jumps first.

In case of a tandem jump, they're attached to you and they pull the cord generally.

Summary: go skydiving grin.gifheadbang.gif

Bored again Drew tongue.gif

No, I'm getting ready to get off work...I'm just contemplating again selling off my X-Men collection....curious to see how many people have done the same thing before..

Getting ready to do just that. I've decided to sell off big chunks of my collection to fund my pursuit of DC war books.

And a few select other books.

AF 15 and Amazing 1 are also grails for me, but those are powerball win types of purchases unfortunately.

Well My grail is nice Mcfarlane original art. and The ultimate 100 sketch cover produced that grail so I am selling many things to be able to try and afford it.

I know the person that owns the splash page of ASM 300...

That guy collected OA years ago, before I even though about it.

He also owns the COVER to Hulk 340!

Or atleast he used to.

I wonder if the old boy remembers me (he is a millionare ya know)

it would be cool if he posted some of those OAs here

but I am sure he is much too busy running his software company.

hail.gif