• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,858 posts in this topic

1605.jpg

Terrific copies indeed topnotchman. :cloud9::cloud9:

Great job on keeping the trek from Showcase #4 to Flash 175 on track everyone. It will be a little while before I can assist again, as my next issue is # 121

:news:

It might be fun to do in this thread what the Brave and Bold thread did recently (thanks to Silver) Let's see if we can list all of the Flash books from 105 to 175, perhaps more if there is interest. Of course if someone does have Showcase #4, feel free to start the ball rolling. :popcorn: I will have to wait until #108, as that is my earliest.

Edited by frozentundraguy

It's one of the first books I bought when I started collecting books in the 1970s:

Good stuff! Did you find it at a convention or at your local comic shop? Was it even a wall book at the time?

???

I bought it at the first local convention I ever attended. The convention was at the Hyatt Hotel on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, CA.

A friend of mine and I were at the old Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. After buying a couple of records we decided to walk down Sunset looking for a place to eat when we noticed a sign in front of the Hyatt: Comic Book Convention today. Neither one of us had even attended a Comic Con before. Admission was only fifty cents so we said "What the Heck". Ended up buying the Flash 113 and an Adventure Comics 290.

I think this was circa 1976.

SLR

Cool! How extensive was your comic collection at this point? And were the comics on display at the con overwhelmingly Marvel as they were at comic cons in Toronto in the late seventies?

And was your buddy a comic collector as well?

???

Edited by Hepcat

We're talking nearly 40 years ago but if memory serves me correctly all I know is that there were mostly DCs. But I'm a DC collector so it may just be my perception.

I don't remember if the comics were displayed on a comic rack or if they were spread out on a table.

Yes, my friend Raymond was a comic collector, too. He enjoyed DC Science Fiction books.

Sadly, my buddy took his own life in July of 1984.

His mom, Lillian, gave the comics to his brother Lenny and I bought them from Lenny about two years later since he didn't really care about comics.

Don't remember how many comics I had at the time. I'm guessing about five or six hundred. I collected only DCs.

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams

Gotta take a clearer pic because the book is really beautiful. It's one of the first books I bought when I started collecting books in the 1970s:

DSCN1697.jpg

Superb book to add to your collection way back in the 70's Steve. You were fortunate to locate such an outstanding book. :applause: