• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #29 Unrestored... How tough is this book in any condition?

70 posts in this topic

I can understand that perspective, but it sounded like the book was a "keeper" so why bother now. Anyway, it may be "generational" and where i started with the hobby. I understand all the reasons why to CGC and why they are in holders. However, in this "plastic age" of comics, I have set all free from their plastic cages. The books i have look just fine in their mylites, backing board and sure-locks. Anyway, congrats on the acquistion. Frankly, this is my favorite Batman cover. Jon

Not generational. I'm 31 and I crack any GA slab I get. I can't stand the things, not to mention they do nothing to prevent, and may accelerate decay.

I can understand that perspective, but it sounded like the book was a "keeper" so why bother now. Anyway, it may be "generational" and where i started with the hobby. I understand all the reasons why to CGC and why they are in holders. However, in this "plastic age" of comics, I have set all free from their plastic cages. The books i have look just fine in their mylites, backing board and sure-locks. Anyway, congrats on the acquistion. Frankly, this is my favorite Batman cover. Jon

Not generational. I'm 31 and I crack any GA slab I get. I can't stand the things, not to mention they do nothing to prevent, and may accelerate decay.

Young, yes, but you're old-timer in collecter years, going for the gold when you were a teenager. poke2.gif

Young, yes, but you're old-timer in collecter years, going for the gold when you were a teenager. poke2.gif

Well I certainly feel old.

Well, you're the oldest you've ever been.

What a remarkable coincidence, so am I! 893whatthe.gif

Well, you're the oldest you've ever been.

What a remarkable coincidence, so am I! 893whatthe.gif

See, you guys suck. Me, I'm as young as I'm ever going to be! yay.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif There's a flaw here somewhere, just not sure where.

sounded like the book was a "keeper". congrats on the acquistion. Frankly, this is my favorite Batman cover. Jon

Thanks Jon,

this book is a "keeper" for me, and I agree --- one of the best if not "the" best Batman covers ever made.

Steve

Can't argue with you there Steve! thumbsup2.gif

hello all...

been away for the weekend, so just got to see this thread....tec 29 and 28 are the 2 toughest pre Robin tecs to get in unrestored condition, in my opinion (and I am most definitely not the end all expert, but I have done a "fair" amount of searching)....

to land either, is an accomplishment..

rick

hello all...

been away for the weekend, so just got to see this thread....tec 29 and 28 are the 2 toughest pre Robin tecs to get in unrestored condition, in my opinion (and I am most definitely not the end all expert, but I have done a "fair" amount of searching)....

to land either, is an accomplishment..

rick

Agreed!

don't feel old! I am 32 and I collect GA too! My first GA book was a Timely--Human Torch #4 in VG back in '95 I think. I think I traded 20 low grade silver age books (ASM 2,3, Hulk 2-6, etc) for that ONE book..It was a GRAIL for me at the time since I hadn't owned anything past 1961...

Is this book tough because once it a collectors hands your rarely going to see it for sale?

This is pretty much true of all the highly collectible books and/or ultra high grade books. Most folks throwing around 10k for comics have enough money to simply say "not for sale"

That prices keep going up doesn't help either.

So either wait for the crash or wait til they die. As they say they aren't making any more of them (and very few surface either)

Beautiful Tec 29 you have there Showcase. I'm jealous of your copy. Anyways, I posted my copy of Tec 29 below. It's in pretty rough shape, but the front cover presents very well.

Picture011.jpg

Hey at least you have one. I currently do not have the funds to purchase one.

Yea, I am indeed lucky. Could be the hardest pre-robin tec book to get. As long as you have that goal in mind that you're going to get it, then it will happen. Just give it some time and you'll be able to pick one up

Hope my time comes soon! On the hunt...

Beautiful Tec 29 you have there Showcase. I'm jealous of your copy. Anyways, I posted my copy of Tec 29 below. It's in pretty rough shape, but the front cover presents very well.

Picture011.jpg

Was that the GD+ Restored on ComicLink last year. I think you beat me to it.

tec29.jpg

I have owned 3 copies of tec 29 in the last year, and could have bought 3 others ...and you know what, all 6 of them were restored...I did buy a what I was lead to believe was an unrestored gd/vg ($10K or right at 3x guide),and that turned out to be a fr/gd with amateur restoration (color touch), so I returned (after a ton of hassle)...I know of one unrestored 7.0 right now, but way out of my league...

rick

I'll be honest, I do not understand the hoopla with Tec #29. I mean... it's a great great book, don't get me wrong. But I honestly think Tec #31, #33, & #35 BLOWS it away. All three have superior covers to that issue. Batman is not even the focal point, per say, on Tec #29. Tec #33, IMHO, is an absolute classic. Full wing span out, gun holster, better colors. etc. etc. And I don't even have to explain #31 and #35. What's with all the hoopla? It may be a bit rarer than the aformentioned, but I don't think the cover art is even close... not by a longshot. confused-smiley-013.gif