• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Comics 1939 Back cover confusion

15 posts in this topic

For a long time I've had a copy of this which has a loose front cover and back cover and presumed the back cover was not the correct one because 1) it's in better condition) and 2) I looked at a complete Wonder 1 somebody had at San Diego and the cover was different. Cut to years later and I see a Wonder 1 listed through Heritage with a scan of the back cover -- and it doesn't look either like the back cover of mine OR like the back cover of the one I saw in San Diego? Is it possible they printed this with more than one back cover. It's really strange that I've seen three copies and each of them had a different back cover.

Here....let me help..........

For a long time I've had a copy of this (insert picture here)
The front cover is detached (????)
I don't think the back cover is original...and here is why...
1) it's in better condition
2) I looked at a complete Wonder 1 somebody had at San Diego and the cover was different.
CUT.....to some years LATER....."I see a Wonder 1 listed through Heritage,......with a scan of the back cover -- and it doesn't look either like the back cover of mine OR like the back cover of the one I saw in San Diego?
It's really strange that I've seen three copies and each of them had a different back cover."

So, the whole point of your post was to bring attention to the fact that WONDER #1 may have different back covers', but you're not sure, because your copy is a pitiful RAG ???? Is that about right ???? Please post your WONDER # 1....

<B>Here....let me help</B>..........<hr>For a long time I've had a copy of this (insert picture here)<hr>The front cover is detached (????)<hr>I don't think the back cover is original...and here is why...<hr>1) it's in better condition<hr>2) I looked at a complete Wonder 1 somebody had at San Diego and the cover was different.<hr><B>CUT</B>.....to some years LATER....."I see a Wonder 1 listed through Heritage,......with a scan of the back cover -- and it doesn't look either like the back cover of mine OR like the back cover of the one I saw in San Diego? <hr>It's really strange that I've seen three copies and each of them had a different back cover."<HR>

So, the whole point of your post was to bring attention to the fact that WONDER #1 may have different back covers', but you're not sure, because your copy is a pitiful RAG ???? Is that about right ???? Please post your WONDER # 1....

Wil post the rag front cover. Didn't take a picture of the back cover. My confusion comes not so much from my copy, but from the fact that because of my copy I made a point of checking out the back cover of another complete copy -- and I remembered enough of it to recall that it's different from the back cover of the copy currently listed in heritage. I suppose that could mean both my ciopy and the other had the wrong back cover. Which could either be a coincidence or caused because, for some reason, the bac covers were more likely to be removed from this issue and in both cases somebody "finished" the book with the wrong back cover. Or... perhaps less likely,.. there was more than one back cover to the issue.

I only found two copies on Heritage's website... and they may be the same copy, because it went unclaimed in both auctions... here's the back cover as shown on the website...

803068071r.jpg

(auction 803, ended 7/5/02, lot 7524 - the book did not sell)

806025015r.jpg

(auction 806, ended 3/7/03, lot 6622 - the book did not sell)

OK, that's the same back cover as my copy. The interior of the back cover is a funny page ("Belly Busters") by Bob Kane.

I seriously doubt if the same book was manufactured with different back covers - more likely blue has seen restored/married copies would be my guess.

Wonder 1 is a great book, btw...

STEVE

I only found two copies on Heritage's website... and they may be the same copy, because it went unclaimed in both auctions... here's the back cover as shown on the website...

803068071r.jpg

806025015r.jpg

Interesting - that's the exact same back cover as the one on my Adventure 37 that I was looking at last night.

OK, that's the same back cover as my copy. The interior of the back cover is a funny page ("Belly Busters") by Bob Kane.

I seriously doubt if the same book was manufactured with different back covers - more likely blue has seen restored/married copies would be my guess.

Wonder 1 is a great book, btw...

STEVE

Steve.

I am guessing you're right there. When I got my copy it looked so much like a married back cover I didn't even keep it with the book, instead tossing it into a box filled with incompletes and pieces. I vaguely recall getting other loose pieces and incomplete books from the same collection. Had I known about the correct back cover I might have scoured through them to see if it was there. It may still be there, but even if I found one that fit the desctription, after all this time I am not sure how I'd be able to know which book it actually came from.

Though I knew the one originally with mine was wrong, it was seeing the other copy that threw me. And now that I see these back covers I think you're right that and that, too, was likely a married back cover. I don't remember which table I saw it at, or what the price was, but Iknow it was not priced accordingly. But the book is so rare that perhaps not even the seller knew...

803068071r.jpg

Am I the only person who wants the $3 printing press? smile.gif