• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What vintage CGC investment area will increase most in the next 10 years?

41 posts in this topic

If someone wanted to invest in pre-1975 CGC comics (minimum current value $100 each or more), what general area of CGC collecting do you think will appreciate the most in percentage terms the next 10 years? the next 20 years?

Don't give specific issue numbers (i.e. Amazing Spiderman #129)

Give a more broad range such as 1950's crime comics, or 1960's horror comics, or key issue 1950's superhero comics, or Batman #10-150, etc.

And why do you think they will see big increases?

Robert

on the other hand, I can see the value of the uber high grade (9.6/9.8+) slabs absolutely nosediving in the next 10 years from the nosebleed prices some of them are fetching now. Either due to more high grade copies appearing, or a general move away from slabs.

on the other hand, I can see the value of the uber high grade (9.6/9.8+) slabs absolutely nosediving in the next 10 years from the nosebleed prices some of them are fetching now. Either due to more high grade copies appearing, or a general move away from slabs.

The slab is only encapsulation, a book will hold value on it's own merits. And due to the price fixing (dealer's buying from dealer's) utilised by dealer's, will ensure that there is no significant drop in slab prices for top books. And the census gives us the frequency, or rareity of that book.

Thus slabs will only slip in value if the number of collectors falls. but right now the market is only climbing, albeit more slowly currently than after the initial 5 year's of rapid growth in prices.

Though there has been considerable 'super sales' that do look to loose value. But these books are regarded as bad buy's now, let alone 10 years from now.

I'm specifically thinking of the JIM #112 9.6 WM copy for $14,500 off Pedigree. There is already in the vacinity of 6 9.6's on the census something that is considered numerus under current census standards.

My pick would be to go for movie related titles. That's arguably where the new generation growth will be driven from. Thus as a group the 68' Marvels look to be good. Early Bronze in uber grade, and pedigree'd preferable.

Why do I think yu are a dealer?

I know a lot of dealer's, but not a dealer myself. I do buy a lot, and sell from time to time. But it's easliy 90/10 buy sell for the last 2 years.

I do however follow the marekt closely. And this year gone has seen a lot of movement, and realignment. But it is interesting, as things seem to be splitting out almost. CGC, and non CGC.

CGC prices have been abandoned by the OPG, and rightly so. And the non-CGC books 9.2 and under are reflected.

But it's like you have to think of books in 2 ways, what it's price would be in, and out of a slab. In...uber value in high grade, and softer (e.g guide) in a slab (thinking typical book here). And non cgc...guide plus some, as it carries an 'uncertianly margin', of what would it would grade at in a slab.

I predict that items truly rare and less collected with fewer numbers in the census will be what is truly conisdered rare or not rare. Over time I would predict that dcs will increase at a greater percentage but basically only catching up with their marvel counterparts.

Although it might take a little longer than 10 years to realize this I would say Gaines file copies of pre-code crime & horror! These are the cream of the crop! You will never find a better pedigree of these books and this pedigree is in it's infancy! Look at the rate of appreciation for mile high copies in the last 30 years. I expect as more wealthy collectors get their hands on these gems with no intention of selling, these books will skyrocket in value! they are already a bit pricey to invest in but never underestimate the value people will place on the best available when it's in short supply!

I have to agree, I think EC's days have come and there is little room for rapid appreciation. I'm 34, and have collected my entire life almost. I have zero interest in EC's and probably never will. I like superheroes, I was raised on them and would never go out of my way to pick up an EC. Once the baby boomers stop buying, I can't see generation X'ers or Y'ers paying heavy dollars for 1950 horror books, that they have no relation too. Silver and Golden age Superheroes even though we weren't alive to enjoy these books of the rack, we can appreciate the historical significance of Superman, Batman, Spidey etc. and will want to collect the early appearances of our favourite characters.

Jim

youre talking about the books published BEFORE the famous and coveted later EC horror and crime books? That THESE will suddenly become hot?

hokay. Seems theyd only be sought after by EC completists, but sure why not.

no i said pre-code crime and horror which is the coveted "new trend" titles

Although it might take a little longer than 10 years to realize this I would say Gaines file copies of pre-code crime & horror! These are the cream of the crop! You will never find a better pedigree of these books and this pedigree is in it's infancy! Look at the rate of appreciation for mile high copies in the last 30 years. I expect as more wealthy collectors get their hands on these gems with no intention of selling, these books will skyrocket in value! they are already a bit pricey to invest in but never underestimate the value people will place on the best available when it's in short supply!

My viewpoint of EC's as future investments is not as optimistic as yours due to the following factors:

1) EC's tended to have more of a fan following and hence more copies were probably saved as compared to other GA books;

2) Gaines copies generally have 12 HG copies of each issue which is actually a lot of HG copies for a GA book; and

3) Too many reprints by the Diamond / Gemstone / Cochrane gang.

I have to agree, I think EC's days have come and there is little room for rapid appreciation. I'm 34, and have collected my entire life almost. I have zero interest in EC's and probably never will. I like superheroes, I was raised on them and would never go out of my way to pick up an EC. Once the baby boomers stop buying, I can't see generation X'ers or Y'ers paying heavy dollars for 1950 horror books, that they have no relation too. Silver and Golden age Superheroes even though we weren't alive to enjoy these books of the rack, we can appreciate the historical significance of Superman, Batman, Spidey etc. and will want to collect the early appearances of our favourite characters.

Jim

Good post! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd have to go with Jim on this one. Sure there will be the collector's who'll be after the 50's Crime/Horror... but at what percentage? If it is a small one, will that casue the prices to increase? I think not.

My money is on late silver/bronze mainstream books in high grade. They are still affordable (for most part) and I don't believe that they will stop being sought after anytime soon. Which means prices go up!

John thumbsup2.gif

My viewpoint of EC's as future investments is not as optimistic as yours due to the following factors:

1) EC's tended to have more of a fan following and hence more copies were probably saved as compared to other GA books;

2) Gaines copies generally have 12 HG copies of each issue which is actually a lot of HG copies for a GA book; and

3) Too many reprints by the Diamond / Gemstone / Cochrane gang.

Time will tell. I think you will eventually see more and more copies disappear from the market! I don't think reprints will affect the value-reprints are never good enough for a serious collector IMHO! I certainly believe they will appreciate over time at the very least if not skyrocket! I think more big $$$ will come into this hobby as time goes by and these books will be very attractive as the finest horror pedigree available!

Time will tell. I think you will eventually see more and more copies disappear from the market! I don't think reprints will affect the value-reprints are never good enough for a serious collector IMHO! I certainly believe they will appreciate over time at the very least if not skyrocket! I think more big $$$ will come into this hobby as time goes by and these books will be very attractive as the finest horror pedigree available!

Horror comics are an interesting category. Is it not possible that general horror collectors (as supposed to horror comics collectors) will enter the comics hobby and seek out the finest examples of horror comics ever created?

Horror is such a broad category, colelctors often buy horror material from before they were born.

Vintage horror movie posters sometimes go for astronomical prices, I once saw an ultra rare 1931 Dracula six sheet poster valued in excess of $1 million. Last time I checked, that was more than a NM copy of Action #1.

Horror collectors have a lot of money to spend. If they ever decide that pre-1975 CGC horror comics are cheap relative to their superhero counterparts, they could drive prices much higher, as there seems to be significant room for horror prices to run upwards. Plus the horror comics had such cool covers from legendary artists like Adams, Wrightson, etc.

And of course you could make the exact same argument for 1950's sci-fi comics as I just made for horror comics.

Opinions?