• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bluechip joins Deathlok, TJ, Thing...

59 posts in this topic

I'd hate to see this place become a bunch of posters singing "Kumbya" around the campfire...

Depends. Would there be s'mores? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I used to like S'Mores when I was a kid... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd hate to see this place become a bunch of posters singing "Kumbya" around the campfire...

I used to like S'Mores when I was a kid... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You don't like them now? I like them when I have the kids make me one cloud9.gif

As far as what is over the line, c'mon - it's common sense. Bluechips knew he blew it, and several people told him so before his strike, so he could have gone back and made an edit before a Mod caught up to him.

I think this board is pretty fair in their moderation, with the only trouble coming from those who know what the limits are but continue to test them.

I think this board is pretty fair in their moderation, with the only trouble coming from those who know what the limits are but continue to test them.

Explain FT's strike then... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I don't know the details behind his strike, but most everyone has an occasional meltdown. It is what the strike system is for, right?

Explain FT's strike then... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I don't know the details behind his strike, but most everyone has an occasional meltdown. It is what the strike system is for, right?

I had no meltdown....not even a cross word.

In a thread about somebody's first submission, somebody passed a comment that it would be a 'laugh' to see a 7.5 book in a 9.4 slab.

I posted a link to Heritage, with the comment, 'You should find quite a few here' labelled across it.

It was sarcasm, dry humour, cheap-shot....call it what you will...but it was NOT antagonistic towards CGC, nor another boarder, nor was it any meltdown.

• Administrator

Just want to pop in to clarify some things.

There was no private message sent regarding this latest strike. We said once before that we are not messing around about this. Back on 3/28/06 a post was made by Arch specifically to address these situations. See it here:

Moderation area where you can find terms of use and posts from moderators about changes

This is not about silencing criticism or objection to policy. Anyone who looks objectively at this site would easily see that there is tons of criticism and unflattering remarks about the CCG companies on this board. This is about accountability for remarks regarding our businesses that cross the line between constructive and maligning. Of course this is subjective and what we find to be over the line, you may find harmless. It's all in the eye of the beholder. There are very clear cut cases where there is no mistake about what someone means and there are cases where a post could be questionable. Please be aware, we are no longer sorting out intent when it comes to statements made about the hosts of this board.

For a very long time we allowed almost anything to be said and we spent a lot of time with private messages and found there were many people who expected and took advantage of the private warning step. As of 3/28/06 there was a shift in handling these situations. We do not guarantee a private warning. Particularly in this issue of moderation.

It has been said that moderation is inconsistent...as though we are asleep at the wheel sometimes. I totally agree. There is not one moderator of this board who doesn't have other responsibilities within our companies. So, while we attempt to be as thorough as we can, it is impossible to read everything and see every infraction. Also, even if we could be here 24/7 and read every word, it is impossible to expect that we would handle every situation to the satisfaction of every person on this board.

I'm sure there will be lots of responses to this post debating what I've written but please understand I will not respond. Not because we don't care about your input but because as I said earlier, there is no way to satisfy everyone and address every concern properly in this format.

One final note...if someone receives a strike, it is by no means an indictment of their character or an indication that we don't want you to post here. On the contrary, we are appreciative of all of you who post here (even those with opinions that differ from ours).

I think we can all agree that the message boards are a very powerful communication tool and we just ask that you consider your audience and what impact your statements have before you post.

How can there be smore when we haven't made any yet?

YOU'RE KILLING ME, SMALLS!

(Remember Sandlot?)

I didn't agree with his point about the PLOD being an intentional thing by CGC to dissuade people from buying restored books, but aside from that one point, I think Bluechip has an interesting and relatively informed view of restoration. He has also been a good contributor (particularly in the GA forum) on many topics both related to restoration and unrelated to restoration. In my opinion, this issue could have been avoided with a private talking-to via PM before giving him a strike. (I am assuming this didn't happen, but I don't know.) I think that would have been enough for him to get the message that he needs to drop that particular point from the discussion unless he has some proof that it is the case. It's pretty sad to see someone who generally engages in on-topic discussion get a strike, and then see other people who go weeks or months at a time with nothing but trolling avoid strikes simply because they've been members for a long time. frown.gif

Bit of a johnny-one-note in my opinion.

He clearly had been saddled with a bunch of restored books and was angry at the way restored books had been stigmatized by the PLOD. Duly noted. Didn't need to hear it repeated over and over again.

He clearly had been saddled with a bunch of restored books and was angry at the way restored books had been stigmatized by the PLOD. Duly noted. Didn't need to hear it repeated over and over again.

...we can't all be a Renaissance man like you Tim,... yeahok.gif

Didn't realize you were such a big fan of mono-thematic posters, John. confused-smiley-013.gif

Didn't realize you were such a big fan of mono-thematic posters, John. confused-smiley-013.gif

...Nah,...just a defender of underdogs,...probably why I never would have made it as a lawyer,...

I had no meltdown....not even a cross word.

In a thread about somebody's first submission, somebody passed a comment that it would be a 'laugh' to see a 7.5 book in a 9.4 slab.

I posted a link to Heritage, with the comment, 'You should find quite a few here' labelled across it.

It was sarcasm, dry humour, cheap-shot....call it what you will...but it was NOT antagonistic towards CGC, nor another boarder, nor was it any meltdown.

1) The fact that a principal at Heritage is a minority stakeholder in CGC didn't seem to you like this might be crossing the line? That someone high on the food chain might not take offense/umbrage?

2) That and Heritage, directly or indirectly, has to be CGC's largest customer. Between what they submit directly and what they do to move CGCed books through the market (at ever-increasing prices), Heritage and CGC are bedfellows.

3) It's not like you're going to find a lot of PGX books on Heritage, so your original remark is akin to saying "CGC puts 7.5s in 9.4 slabs on something of a regular basis"...?

Not that I agree you deserved a strike, mind you...

Basically he repeated his familiar refrain that CGC intentionally created the PLOD to stigmatize restored books

By giving him a strike is CGC saying this isn't true? confused-smiley-013.gif

What a coy old fellow you are, OldGuy smirk.gif

You know perfectly well that CGC simply...isn't...saying

Why disclose anything about anything when the market doesn't dictate that you must? I think we should be grateful they provide an address to which to submit the books...