• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bluechip joins Deathlok, TJ, Thing...

59 posts in this topic

I didn't agree with his point about the PLOD being an intentional thing by CGC to dissuade people from buying restored books, but aside from that one point, I think Bluechip has an interesting and relatively informed view of restoration. He has also been a good contributor (particularly in the GA forum) on many topics both related to restoration and unrelated to restoration. In my opinion, this issue could have been avoided with a private talking-to via PM before giving him a strike. (I am assuming this didn't happen, but I don't know.) I think that would have been enough for him to get the message that he needs to drop that particular point from the discussion unless he has some proof that it is the case. It's pretty sad to see someone who generally engages in on-topic discussion get a strike, and then see other people who go weeks or months at a time with nothing but trolling avoid strikes simply because they've been members for a long time. frown.gif

I didn't agree with his point about the PLOD being an intentional thing by CGC to dissuade people from buying restored books, but aside from that one point, I think Bluechip has an interesting and relatively informed view of restoration. He has also been a good contributor (particularly in the GA forum) on many topics both related to restoration and unrelated to restoration. In my opinion, this issue could have been avoided with a private talking-to via PM before giving him a strike. (I am assuming this didn't happen, but I don't know.) I think that would have been enough for him to get the message that he needs to drop that particular point from the discussion unless he has some proof that it is the case. It's pretty sad to see someone who generally engages in on-topic discussion get a strike, and then see other people who go weeks or months at a time with nothing but trolling avoid strikes simply because they've been members for a long time.

To be honest with you Scott, I think he knew exactly what he was going to get when he set about writing that post. He ramped up his posting style with that being the final blow. He knew what, and how he said what he did. But more importantly he knew where he was saying it.

There are plenty of ways to get ones point across without going where he did.

So a PM from Arch reminding him that he crossed a line, that he knew he was crossing is pointless.

Antagonize the hosts like that and you will get a strike. End of story Besides, he can come back next week and rejoin the fray.

But as you said, we have no idea how or what steps were taken to diffuse the situation.. all I saw was the end result.

Strikerino numero uno

Ze-

I didn't agree with his point about the PLOD being an intentional thing by CGC to dissuade people from buying restored books, but aside from that one point, I think Bluechip has an interesting and relatively informed view of restoration. He has also been a good contributor (particularly in the GA forum) on many topics both related to restoration and unrelated to restoration. In my opinion, this issue could have been avoided with a private talking-to via PM before giving him a strike. (I am assuming this didn't happen, but I don't know.) I think that would have been enough for him to get the message that he needs to drop that particular point from the discussion unless he has some proof that it is the case. It's pretty sad to see someone who generally engages in on-topic discussion get a strike, and then see other people who go weeks or months at a time with nothing but trolling avoid strikes simply because they've been members for a long time.

To be honest with you Scott, I think he knew exactly what he was going to get when he set about writing that post. He ramped up his posting style with that being the final blow. He knew what, and how he said what he did. But more importantly he knew where he was saying it.

There are plenty of ways to get ones across without going where he did.

So a PM from Arch reminding him that he crossed a line, that he knew he was crossing is pointless.

Antagonize the hosts like that and you will get a strike. End of story Besides, he can come back next week and rejoin the fray.

But as you said, we have no idea how or what steps were taken to diffuse the situation.. all I saw was the end result.

Strikerino numero uno

Ze-

I don't know, Kenny. Bluechip doesn't strike me as someone who is hell bent on disrupting the boards, and he might have toned it down if he had gotten a PM. But I guess we'll never know now, will we? yay.gif

hello all...

can someone point me to the thread that got bluechip striked? (I know who he is, I consider him a friend, and he is actually on and off, one of the foremost collectors in this hobby)...just curious what happened...

rick

hello all...

can someone point me to the thread that got bluechip striked? (I know who he is, I consider him a friend, and he is actually on and off, one of the foremost collectors in this hobby)...just curious what happened...

rick

Basically he repeated his familiar refrain that CGC intentionally created the PLOD to stigmatize restored books, and he did it one too many times.

I didn't agree with his point about the PLOD being an intentional thing by CGC to dissuade people from buying restored books, but aside from that one point, I think Bluechip has an interesting and relatively informed view of restoration. He has also been a good contributor (particularly in the GA forum) on many topics both related to restoration and unrelated to restoration. In my opinion, this issue could have been avoided with a private talking-to via PM before giving him a strike. (I am assuming this didn't happen, but I don't know.) I think that would have been enough for him to get the message that he needs to drop that particular point from the discussion unless he has some proof that it is the case. It's pretty sad to see someone who generally engages in on-topic discussion get a strike, and then see other people who go weeks or months at a time with nothing but trolling avoid strikes simply because they've been members for a long time. frown.gif

It's only a strike, he didn't have his balls cuts off. poke2.gif

But I agree there seems to be a lack of consistancy re: handing out strikes, and stretches of times when it seems the mods are asleep and shills and trolls run rampant.

I think posts that "antagonize the hosts" needs to be defined. Especially when you look at Flaming Telegraph's strike and the growing tendancy to give strikes for comments that a year ago were OK. Is any criticism of CGC strikeable these days?

I'd hate to see this place become a bunch of posters singing "Kumbya" around the campfire...

Jim