• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Rider review (Spoilers)...

93 posts in this topic

As someone who enjoys a good "B" movie... I gotta say that this was right up there! It won't be winning any Grammy's or anything, but it was entertaining. I live in what's considered "the bible belt" and the theatre wasn't overly packed (9:55 showing). I'd say that about 20% of the people who were in attendance were comic collectors smile.gif There were cheers after the 300 and Spidey previews. There was a HUGE round of applause when the GR title hit the screen. It was POURING rain here tonight and yet there were about 5 Harley's parked out front! Pretty cool to see the boys watching a comic movie! I also wouldn't be surprised to hear of a lawsuit from a motorcycle club about the line "This is an Angel's bar!" 893whatthe.gif We all remember that Marvel title that got pulled...

I think that if they showed any more of Eva's cleavage ( cloud9.gif) it would've gotten an R rating! insane.gif

The previews were a great warm up to the movie. I have to say that I am more than excited to see 300... looks awesome! And there was a new (to me anyway) Spider-Man trailer that had me on the edge of my seat! This appears to be the year for comics! Which is a fantastic thing! I believe it brings more people into this little world of ours, and that can't be all that bad.

John thumbsup2.gif

As someone who enjoys a good "B" movie... I gotta say that this was right up there! It won't be winning any Grammy's or anything, but it was entertaining. I live in what's considered "the bible belt" and the theatre wasn't overly packed (9:55 showing). I'd say that about 20% of the people who were in attendance were comic collectors smile.gif There were cheers after the 300 and Spidey previews. There was a HUGE round of applause when the GR title hit the screen. It was POURING rain here tonight and yet there were about 5 Harley's parked out front! Pretty cool to see the boys watching a comic movie! I also wouldn't be surprised to hear of a lawsuit from a motorcycle club about the line "This is an Angel's bar!" 893whatthe.gif We all remember that Marvel title that got pulled...

I think that if they showed any more of Eva's cleavage ( cloud9.gif) it would've gotten an R rating! insane.gif

The previews were a great warm up to the movie. I have to say that I am more than excited to see 300... looks awesome! And there was a new (to me anyway) Spider-Man trailer that had me on the edge of my seat! This appears to be the year for comics! Which is a fantastic thing! I believe it brings more people into this little world of ours, and that can't be all that bad.

John thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif Right on! headbang.gif

yay.gifChris

I have seen 3 critic reviews so far and all rated it above average film. They only thing they really trashed was Eva's acting apparently it is really bad in ths film. What I thought was funny was she said she gained 10 pounds to look more voluptous for the character since she said that what the character looked like in the books. Last time I checked she didnt look anything like her. laugh.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

That's great! I am also looking forward to 300 and Spidey 3 -- will probably go see Ghost Rider tonight.

The Chicago Tribune today ran a syndicated review from the Orlando Sentinel. The guy panned the movie mercilessly but his review was so poorly written I could hardly follow it. So that makes me want to see it even more! 27_laughing.gif

Actually hearing that some people and their families liked the movie is good -- my wife wants to see it and she didn't really like the Spider-Man movies that much because she thought they were trying to take themselves too seriously. She thought the GR preview looked fun and liked that it appeared to not try to pass itself off as high art....

So hopefully it'll be an enjoyable popcorn.gif movie....

I have never understood the love for Sin City. I thought it was terrible movie. Heavy handed and no real direction. Overly violent and just the pace of the film was just painful I just didnt get it I guess.

I think Unbreakable, Spiderman series, the first X-men all got the comic movie tone correct. I love the inside jokes my wife didint get. She couldnt understand why everyone was laughing about the spandex comment. I think 300 could be an excellent film, but I think Miller will turn it into another Sin City style which turns of alot of people.

I have never understood the love for Sin City. I thought it was terrible movie. Heavy handed and no real direction. Overly violent and just the pace of the film was just painful I just didnt get it I guess.

I think Unbreakable, Spiderman series, the first X-men all got the comic movie tone correct. I love the inside jokes my wife didint get. She couldnt understand why everyone was laughing about the spandex comment. I think 300 could be an excellent film, but I think Miller will turn it into another Sin City style which turns of alot of people.

Unbreakable is very under-rated - great movie thumbsup2.gif

I like all the movies you listed, and have them all on DVD. Sin City is "re-watchable" because it's 3-movies-in-1.

There are connections between the stories that I missed the first time around.

The pace is great... no real downtime between "pages" of the comic.

Unbreakable is basically a two-hour origin. Once we finally have a hero and a villain, it's over. More please!

Spider-man was great... it was worth the "build-up" to the actual Spider-man swinging through the city. X-Men is good, too. Both really set the tone.

But I only find myself wanting to "re-watch" Sin City.

The others did their job and now they sit on the shelf,

awaiting the latest sequels (or for Unbreakable, a sequel that'll never come).

Sin City, to me, is 3 Sin City movies... definitely worth my time to see it again.

The others just make me want to fast-forward to the last half-hour.

I agree. Sin City is a good movie, I just didn't love it. I think the love for the movie is because it so followed the comic in regards to style and composition.

Unbreakable is basically a two-hour origin. Once we finally have a hero and a villain, it's over. More please!

That is my opinion too. I was disappointed by the movie due to the abrupt ending, although I enjoyed it up to that point.

Yeah, GR is an entertaining flick. Sort of the weird side. Acting and story was a bit odd for me. I dunno, it didn't feel cohesive. Maybe because I distracted by Eva's cleav the whole time. Johnny Blaze can jump helicopters, but he can't jump her rack.

Anyways, I think we needed to see a stronger villian. Blackheart sort of stood there at the end.

I just got back from seeing this. I really liked it! I thought Stan Lee made a cameo in all Marvel movies, but I didn't see him in this one. Did anyone see him?

now that you mention it I didn't see him either!

Stan didn't create Ghost Rider...

I don't think he was in Elektra either.. (or Blade

http://superherouniverse.com/articles/stanleecameo.htm (They seem to be missing Spider-man 1)

I just got back from seeing this. I really liked it! I thought Stan Lee made a cameo in all Marvel movies, but I didn't see him in this one. Did anyone see him?

now that you mention it I didn't see him either!

Stan didn't create Ghost Rider...

I don't think he was in Elektra either.. (or Blade

http://superherouniverse.com/articles/stanleecameo.htm (They seem to be missing Spider-man 1)

or punisher

I just saw the Ghost Rider today and I'll just bet you cain't wait to hear my review. First, there were no floppy saggies. foreheadslap.gif That point must be underscored as I'm sure Joe needs to consider this before deciding on seeing the film. Second, the Mendes girl is a total babe that makes up for the loss of floppy saggies. cloud9.gif Lastly, and globally speaking, I went to the movie with low expectations and ended up liking it alot. There were a few cheesy parts and I didn't like the use of Elliot and Fonda. They should have used unknowns here. It's bad enough having to start with a clean slate with Cage but I was prepared for that so it worked. I agree that the dweeb they used for the devil's son was probably the single weakest point of the film. My favorite parts were all the ones with the Ghost Rider and his bike. I loved the music score on these parts. headbang.gif I also loved the parts with Mendes. What a honey! Oh, and contrary to the initial poster, I liked the non-traditional structure of the film in terms of the way it moved forward. The first poster didn't like this. I thought it worked because it really kept be not knowing what would come next and honestly I thought, "Jeez, I'm gonna be able to predict each part of the film," when actually I found that I could not.

I went tonight. My group liked all the movie except the scenes in which Nicholas Cage appeared. The consensence was that his acting ability was absent and that he looked a mess. The action scenes involving Ghost Rider were great though.