• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEAD ON--apply directly to the wallet!

35 posts in this topic

Don't you just love how back in the pre-CGC days, if you wanted a ped book such as a Mile High or Pacific Coast, you had to pay a premium over guide. Now, on top of that, if that same ped book is slabbed, you are getting hit with another premium.

The ped adds to the price and then the fact that it's slabbed adds even more to the price. Ridiculous.

Don't you just love how back in the pre-CGC days, if you wanted a ped book such as a Mile High or Pacific Coast, you had to pay a premium over guide. Now, on top of that, if that same ped book is slabbed, you are getting hit with another premium.

The ped adds to the price and then the fact that it's slabbed adds even more to the price. Ridiculous.

I'm not sure I agree that if a pedigreed book is slabbed there is automatically a premium for the slab. I think it depends on what grade the book is. If it's a 9.0 or less, there may not be a premium at all for the slab. If it's 9.0 or above, then it's probably getting the same premium that other slabbed books in that grade get, plus an additional premium for the pedigree.

I'll tell you what I don't miss from the old days is dealers not even listing grades on pedigree books, but simply listing the pedigree and a price which implied a NM+ grade. There were plenty of instances where a pedigreed book, even from the Church collection, did not justify the price.

I'm not sure I agree that if a pedigreed book is slabbed there is automatically a premium for the slab. I think it depends on what grade the book is. If it's a 9.0 or less, there may not be a premium at all for the slab. If it's 9.0 or above, then it's probably getting the same premium that other slabbed books in that grade get, plus an additional premium for the pedigree.

You're right. I should have specified 9.2 or higher. I agree about 9.0 or lower. (and that's how it should be, imo)

I agree. HG runs just may no longer be worth it. But, maybe books are still cheap overall?? who knows.

As soon as you get out of the 9.4 range, most SA books, especially from the mid-60s, are very affordable.

true, but I meant collecting runs in NM. I added the caveat that maybe books are still cheap in reference to your Flashes. You probably paid dearly for them and STILL cleaned up. So, theres the possibility that as expensive as these seem today (comparable to how expensive they were when you bought them) that they may look cheap in 3-5 years again. I dont really see it happening.... but, we never do and prices have kept creeping upward.

I agree. HG runs just may no longer be worth it. But, maybe books are still cheap overall?? who knows.

As soon as you get out of the 9.4 range, most SA books, especially from the mid-60s, are very affordable.

true, but I meant collecting runs in NM. I added the caveat that maybe books are still cheap in reference to your Flashes. You probably paid dearly for them and STILL cleaned up. So, theres the possibility that as expensive as these seem today (comparable to how expensive they were when you bought them) that they may look cheap in 3-5 years again. I dont really see it happening.... but, we never do and prices have kept creeping upward.

I'd certainly be the last one to argue that books that seem incredibly expensive today won't seem incredibly cheap tomorrow. If there has been one trend in comic collecting in the 40 or so years of organized collecting, it has been that what seemed expensive yesterday looks cheap today. I hope the hobby continues to prosper and that someday people will say to me "You sold your Flashes for only $X in 2006?! What the hell were you thinking?! You practically gave them away, you mo-ron!"

There is a run of SA Green Lantern Pac Coasts on CLink that are insanely priced. II cant remember which ones, but they are in the 50-60 range and while 9.4/6 books are sweet, iirc one had an asking price of $1500 on it 893whatthe.gif

I suspect at least some of these listings (and other recent PC listings) may be Roter himself.

I think these are. These are the left over's he hasn't pawned off through Heritage.

The pricing is the exact same pricing he had on them years ago...they didn't sell then, and they're not selling now at those prices!!!

TOTU...C title at best. Sure it does look good in 9.6, 9.8 PC's but still a side title for the DC completists. And blowing $20-30k on a portion of the run looks to be the most award winning 'wrong move' currently on offer in comicdom.

There has been plenty of 'reverse' grade valuing happening with pedigree books.

Like when the PC copy of Nick Fury #1 sold, if I recall it was a 9.0, and went for something like $125!!! Which is a ton of money for that book, in that grade.

But the book itself is soooo available, right up to 9.6. That the PC designation made it stand out from the crowd. It was like it was more collectable than the same book ...in 9.6.

someday people will say to me ... you mo-ron

I think's there one of two here on the boards that will help you out with this today if you ask politely. poke2.gif

someday people will say to me ... you mo-ron

I think's there one of two here on the boards that will help you out with this today if you ask politely. poke2.gif

Why would I need to come to the boards for that? I'm married! tongue.gif

My understanding of Roter and the DC Pac Coast books is that while they may have price stickers attached, there is no real serious interest by him to sell them and hence the insane prices. I could be wrong (since I have not discussed this with him) but I believe some people have directly contacted Roter recently to purchase books and that I would expect some room to negotiate that price to a more realistic realm if a serious inquiry were being made.

But the same is true of the Mass copies of MIS that Marnin has on his website. I'd love to purchase some, but not at the insane levels.

But the same is true of the Mass copies of MIS that Marnin has on his website. I'd love to purchase some, but not at the insane levels.

I guess that's just Marnin's way of telling you you're not making enough money yet! poke2.gifwink.gif

Seriously though, have you tried entering some bids? confused-smiley-013.gif I just picked up a White Mountain Strange Adventures #156 at what I consider to be a very reasonable price. (imho)

Those MIS are very aggressively priced for sure, but I never fault the seller. I've always said the seller has a right to ask whatever they want, and I suspect Marnin is in no hurry to part with those particular books. There's plenty of real insanity to go around in this hobby, that's for sure.

Those MIS look nice on the site though.

I guess that's just Marnin's way of telling you you're not making enough money yet! poke2.gifwink.gif

Seriously though, have you tried entering some bids? confused-smiley-013.gif I just picked up a White Mountain Strange Adventures #156 at what I consider to be a very reasonable price. (imho)

Those MIS are very aggressively priced for sure, but I never fault the seller. I've always said the seller has a right to ask whatever they want, and I suspect Marnin is in no hurry to part with those particular books. There's plenty of real insanity to go around in this hobby, that's for sure.

Those MIS look nice on the site though.

It's not really a criticism, just pointing out that anyone can price books high and that the Roter pricing structure isn't all that bizarre when you look at many other sellers who are less anxious to move books they know are quality.