• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was "The Greatest Golden Age Artist" in comics?

169 posts in this topic

This is tough. If you break it up by decades, Flessel owned the 30's with those early DC covers. Once you get into the 40's . . . I can't decide.

Well, you get like 22 years to pick from......1933-1955. makepoint.gif

poke2.gif

Mac Raboy is the greatest, in my opinion. He had an amazing ability to capture grace and power in his heroic figures. As much as I love L.B. Cole and Schomburg, Mac Raboy could have given almost every GA artist a schooling in the area of anatomy and composition.

185_4_030.jpg

185_4_025.jpg

I'm amazed at some of the names mentioned in this thread, some of which I consider barely capable to illustrate a comic book. I think that they are getting too much credit based on the characters they created/illustrated instead of solely on merit.

I'm amazed at some of the names mentioned in this thread, some of which I consider barely capable to illustrate a comic book. I think that they are getting too much credit based on the characters they created/illustrated instead of solely on merit.

I told you all this thread could get ugly.........see, I am legit. sumo.gif

devil.gifpoke2.gif

You wanted ugly? wink.gif

I'm actually being serious. Not everyone was great just because they illustrated cool characters or drew comics in the Golden Age.

Naw, I'm just joshing. Believe me, I've seen GA art that's not worth mentioning......except that it was a preceeder to under-ground 70's art. Who is the Centaur artist who draws those characters with the extremely enourmous necks??? Can't think of his name now...... Did that Lumberjack strip.....Christo_pull_hair.gif

I have to go with Raboy too, he stuns me, time and again. I don't have a single book of his, but When I See them , I go nuts. I consider Frazetta Atom age, so that makes this easier. Fine & Flessel are close, but Raboy, he has a mastery of composition, line quality & flawless execution just a notch above the rest for me.

The thing that sealed it for me about Raboy was seeing his interiors. The quality is phenomenal.

Let's put it this way... if Raboy did Captain America, I think there would be little debate about his greatness wink.gif

Now THAT is something worth thinking about! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

.....and dreaming about..... cloud9.gif

You wanted ugly? wink.gif

I'm actually being serious. Not everyone was great just because they illustrated cool characters or drew comics in the Golden Age.

Naw, I'm just joshing. Believe me, I've seen GA art that's not worth mentioning......except that it was a preceeder to under-ground 70's art. Who is the Centaur artist who draws those characters with the extremely enourmous necks??? Can't think of his name now...... Did that Lumberjack strip.....Christo_pull_hair.gif

Fletcher Hanks?

I have to go with Raboy too, he stuns me, time and again. I don't have a single book of his, but When I See them , I go nuts. I consider Frazetta Atom age, so that makes this easier. Fine & Flessel are close, but Raboy, he has a mastery of composition, line quality & flawless execution just a notch above the rest for me.

Matthew, while this is all very true, I have to chime to state that Raboy can't tell a story for 893censored-thumb.gif. His Master and CM Jr covers are gorgeous but, inside, man'o'man I don't think he stands as well as a story-teller. You call it flawless execution, I call it lifeless expression. Granted, it's beautiful to look / gawk at but it does not draw one into it though.

1646125-RaboyFlashGordon1.jpg

1646125-RaboyFlashGordon2.jpg

1646125-RaboyFlashGordon2.jpg.4bc1cf7845b6c817ea5bf54b1188892e.jpg

Scrooge, thats a good point based on those examples, I have never seen his interiors before. They are way too staged. I'd have to see more to really make up my mind, but Maybe in that case Raboy wins cover artist....

I really want to pick Wolverton to be honest... I love Wolverton....

The Flash Gordons that you cite are early in Raboy's run, which is obviously meant to keep the continuity of Alex Raymond's previous work.

Here are some later strips... very different right?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=171401&GSub=27377

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=171393&GSub=27377

The Flash Gordons that you cite are early in Raboy's run, which is obviously meant to keep the continuity of Alex Raymond's previous work.

Here are some later strips... very different right?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=171401&GSub=27377

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=171393&GSub=27377

I don't disagree and I wasn't trying to stack the deck against Raboy. Here's another example of a more dynamic page and I'm sure it helps that the strip added dialog instead of just description text (à la Prince Valiant) -

1646142-RaboyLaterFG.jpg

Still, IMO, I wouldn't put Raboy on top of that "Best" list.

1646142-RaboyLaterFG.jpg.83162606808aa78f3c00bca85b9ffa3e.jpg

Ok Paull, you have a point too, those are different. They remind me more of Frazetta's Johhny Comet strip, but of course without the race cars.. tongue.gif

I have to say I can not judge raboy's interior work without seeing more. And I Would LOVE to see more. Maybe I'll have to pick up some Masters.

I'm not a fan of the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon or Hal Foster Prince Valiant style of storytelling, so I definitely agree with you guys there.

What I've seen of Raboy's Master work, I really like. He wasn't the most dynamic storyteller, but his draftsmanship was peerless, in my opinion. What an amazing inker...

I love Flessel's cover work for the early Adventure, More Fun & Detective comics.

Ditto. O'Mealia had some great ones too. Action #2 is definitely a favorite. So much amazing detail on that cover. You can look at it a hundred times and each time notice something you didn't see before. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Its funny before I joined the boards, I was pretty one sided in my tastes. I am and was a Schomburg guy, with much love to Kirby, Shores, Baker, Everett, and LB Cole. While I have not really changed my opinion, but my eyes have been opened to some covers and artist I never considered in the top tier. Like Mac Raboy, Fessel, Lou Fine, and others whoose art I just had not seen. I love and hate this at the same time as I am drawn to collect those comics with thier art as well.

I have given this topic some great thought, and came up with this opinion, but understand that I now believe myself to be uneducated as I really am only begining my foray into the GA.

1st Choice Schomburg(he sings to my eyes)

2nd Choice Kirby, but really not the GA Kirby, but the 50's

3rd Anything Baker(what a sense of realism and 40's style)

4th LB Cole for the Darker days

5th Everett(for his exagerated style)

6th Raboy(newley found interest)

7th Avision(love the dark tones in his covers, and the drama of his characters)

8th Shores, but really only the later Timely stuff which had a Bakerish quality

9th Feildstein

10th Who ever drew the early Spector and Dr. Fate covers in More Fun

Well thats my list at least today.

Paul