• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Books for under $200?

31 posts in this topic

One of the reasons I've shyed away from collecting GA, is affordability. While I would love to purchase one of those fantastic Tecs that I just saw in the marketplace, I just couldn't imagine spending that much money on one book.

I heard mention through various threads that lots of great books can be had for under $200. What can be had for that price?

Thanks.

Here is a perfect example! This book was $175, from Metro's site. Its a 5.0 with no hidden defects. Sprang's 1st Joker cover...

1507557-tec85.jpg

Patience is the key to getting books cheap. I tend to look at what ever is available at the time when I have some $$$ then go for the best cover I can.

John, if you collect BA horror, you have to give ECs a go! They are the books that got me started on golden age. They're a true bargain in low-to-mid grades, and you can even test the waters with a few reprints to see if you like them. Wonderful stories, and the art is an embarrassment of riches with guys like Ingels, Wally Wood, Reed Crandall, Johnny Craig & many more. Can't imagine that you wouldn't enjoy them!

More often then not, I spend under $200 on the books I buy. As was stated before, it's just a matter of looking and being patient. All of the following books were purchased for under $200:

Headline_27_Rockford.jpg

Headline_30_Cape_Cod.jpg

racketsquad12.jpg

FightingAmerican55-1.jpg

ThrillsOfTomorrow197.jpg

As you can see, these aren't beater copies and I have many more.

Angelo

Most of my GA purchases are under $200. You can get loads of nice Fiction House books for under $200, even in the VF range.

If you like horror, there is, as stated, lots of pre-code horror out there in that price range. (I leave the details to others more versed in that area than I.)

GA hero books tend to be pricier if they're from the big two: DC and Timely. Forget trying to get a decent GA Captain America for cheap.

The trick with GA is to train your eye to look at the 6.0 column in OS instead of the 9.2 column.

I would go so far as to say that there aren't that many GA books that you can't get an example of for less than $200. It just depends how condition sensitive you are. There are lots of decent looking VGs out there.

One of the reasons I've shyed away from collecting GA, is affordability. While I would love to purchase one of those fantastic Tecs that I just saw in the marketplace, I just couldn't imagine spending that much money on one book.

I heard mention through various threads that lots of great books can be had for under $200. What can be had for that price?

Thanks.

If you don't mind low grade, most of the GA Batman comics can be had for under $200.

I just woke up and had a hankering to re-read my $80 Batman #37 featuring the Joker. Classic stuff! cloud9.gif

Every GA book except 1 has been under 100, except 1 which I am still "financing" These include, Wings Comics - Very low grade Captain Marvels - Mid grade Jungle Comics & some off hand weirdness such as Giggle which can be had for 20-50bucks in decent shape.

funnystuffs.jpg

here is a wonderful GA title, of which most every issue can be had for about $10-40...great early animal humor books...my 4 year old and I love to pick these up, and it is a really "affordable" run to collect ( when you can find them, that is)

rick

apart from Timelys, early DCs, or key books, most types of GA books can be had in the >$200 price range in VGish condition! Apart from 3 of Action books, my entire GA collection was under $200 each. I heartily recommend starting with Fiction House and ECs, as there is a good selection of books at very reasonable prices- even in Fine or better condition!

893applaud-thumb.gif

nice to see them! Between the 2 of us, we only have 1 overlap issue!

very cool...I was happy when you posted yours, to know I was not the only FS collector!...I will do a larger group shot later, just wanted to add a great book to this thread...it is not always about the "super hero"!

rick

If you scour eBay (like I do) you will be able to find a TON of wonderful golden age stuff for under $200, especially if you aren't married to the superhero genre or high grade only collecting. In particular, horror and sci-fi are relative bargains, and some classic covers from those areas lag far behind their mainstream counterparts in terms of price. If you are patient, you will be able put together a really cool collection for relatively cheap. Here are some examples of sub-$200 books I have bought. In fact, other than the first two, they were all under $100.

strangemysteries1-2.jpg

junglethrills16.jpg

ws14.jpg

totj18.jpg

shockingmystery50.jpg

jumbo161-1.jpg

bluebolt111.jpg

planet67.jpg

usmarines3.jpg