• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting general info about Edgar Church...

173 posts in this topic

Here is Edgar Church at his drawing board.

The picture was taken in 1917.

edgarchurch_zpsf954b260.jpg

If you look closely below is the piece of art that he is drawing on the board.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz_zps9179cc02.jpg

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Is the date correct? In 1917, Edgar would have been only 29. He looks older. The date on the picture certainly seems to match, though. hm

I think you're right. I suspect it's a posed shot, where Edgar put a piece of his art on the table and is pretending to be working on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the photo was from the 40s or 50s.

I didn't think of that. :makepoint:

Originally I thought the pic would have been from around 1940 or so. He would have been 52 in 1940.

No way that picture was taken in 1917. Aside from the fact that Edgar looks like he is in his 50s at least, look at the clock in the background and the picture itself doesn't look like a 1917 print. Perhaps he was just signing a previously painted work, touching it up, or posing for a staged picture.

yeah. After realizing the painting on the desk was from 1917, I thought the pic was taken in 1917. I think Nearmint is right. I believe the pic was staged, and Church pulled whatever art he had laying around at the time. I'm guessing the pic was taken around 1940 or so.

I'll tell you something funny. I had always dreamed of finding a Golden Age collection like Edgar Church. Well remember that Colfax collection of Golden Age books I found a couple years ago.

I thought you guys would get a kick out of the location.

I took these photos before I started searching the house.

ChurchST_zps096ddfa4.jpg

EChurch_zpsc069ac90.jpg

Good one Scott. :)

No way that picture was taken in 1917. Aside from the fact that Edgar looks like he is in his 50s at least, look at the clock in the background and the picture itself doesn't look like a 1917 print. Perhaps he was just signing a previously painted work, touching it up, or posing for a staged picture.

If that picture is staged who is to say that Church didn't stage his comic collection too? Maybe Church never had a collection of high grade golden age. Maybe all of those books are really from some other collection. Maybe Chuck, Burrel, the Carters and Hamilton got snowed. Maybe Bob Beerbohm really bought a high grade complete collection of 5000 golden age books. Maybe Matt Nelson is reading this now and crying. Maybe there will be no pedigree book.

Mr. Bedrock Sir, it could be that we aren't really here either, and you are posting to a bunch of imaginary friends from the institution in which you reside... :roflmao::insane:

However, that is the first time I've ever seen a picture of Mr. Church, so I copied it, and printed it, and will slide it into the mylar holder of my single Mile High book, so the name will always have a face. :cloud9:

a bunch of imaginary friends from the institution in which you reside...

So that's what y'all are calling yourselves today. I'll make a mental note ;)

If that picture is staged who is to say that Church didn't stage his comic collection too? Maybe Church never had a collection of high grade golden age. Maybe all of those books are really from some other collection. Maybe Chuck, Burrel, the Carters and Hamilton got snowed. Maybe Bob Beerbohm really bought a high grade complete collection of 5000 golden age books. Maybe Matt Nelson is reading this now and crying. Maybe there will be no pedigree book.

:roflmao:

It was fantastic to finally be able to see a picture of him after all these years of seeing the extraordinary comics that came from his collection. Great job, West! (worship)

:roflmao:

It was fantastic to finally be able to see a picture of him after all these years of seeing the extraordinary comics that came from his collection. Great job, West! (worship)

Now if we could just get a pic of 'ol Tom Reilly... or whatever the hell his name really is.

:takeit:

hm thinking outside the box and down the street....

Timely -- Fascinating stuff. As a big Church fan myself, I'd love to know the provenance of this photo. I know you have collected quite a bit of his artwork over the years. Is this part of the misc material that Chuck had?

Yes.