• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace Comics featuring Four Favorites, Super Mystery, and Our Flag
6 6

893 posts in this topic

Thanks. I wish I could upgrade the Lightning, but the book hardly shows up for sale, let alone in higher grade.

One of my favorite covers.

lightningv22.jpg

There's your upgrade...now you just have to pry it away from Walclark :baiting:

157ek43.jpg

1z4y9f6.jpg

If by chance you upgrade, I'd really appreciate a shot at your under copies!! :wishluck: In fact, everyone posting Ace superhero books here can feel free to P.M. me with any copies that they'd like to sell (thumbs u This publisher is kinda my jam right now and I'm having SO much fun investigating these new characters!!! Special shout out to Jon Berk here, as it's seeing your copies posted that kinda got me hooked!!! Those Mooney recreations are (worship)

That's cool. Does your scanner have a "professional mode"? If so, you can adjust the scan to get a clear pic thru those slabs. I have an Epson and it has that feature. It's like having photoshop built into the scanner. Here's an example of thru a dingy mylar and then after clean up, and NO, this book does not belong in this thread and is used strictly as an example:

2h7f9l0.jpg

After:

10yjj42.jpg

Here's one more example:

Before:

2hyxz80.jpg

After:

2nhzubl.jpg

Almost every scan needs to be adjusted for true color, either in the scanner or in photoshop. (thumbs u

Edited by tricolorbrian

157ek43.jpg

1z4y9f6.jpg

If by chance you upgrade, I'd really appreciate a shot at your under copies!! :wishluck: In fact, everyone posting Ace superhero books here can feel free to P.M. me with any copies that they'd like to sell (thumbs u This publisher is kinda my jam right now and I'm having SO much fun investigating these new characters!!! Special shout out to Jon Berk here, as it's seeing your copies posted that kinda got me hooked!!! Those Mooney recreations are (worship)

Great GA image down below.....Church copy with Mooney recreation. Show you how whacked out I was to get these esoteric beauties and have Jim his recreation magic.

When I wrote for CBM....i coined a phrase TOGS ("the other guys")...Just a bonanza of great books ready to grab. I just LOVE this and "The Other Guys"!

151731.jpg.262faec57677d3e987ed71fc4469ae94.jpg

151732.jpg.797ba4d436b1fa356001b47c11a64791.jpg

157ek43.jpg

1z4y9f6.jpg

Great GA image down below.....Church copy with Mooney recreation. Show you how whacked out I was to get these esoteric beauties and have Jim his recreation magic.

When I wrote for CBM....i coined a phrase TOGS ("The Other Guys"------Ju)...Just a bonanza of great books ready to grab. I just LOVE this and "The Other Guys"!

One more pairing of the Church copy and a Mooney Recreation that I had commissioned......jb

Just cannot say enough about these books........

151733.jpg.1bd8099ee316f5f91d006309f486ba84.jpg

151734.jpg.9b9df551699b2eadcee0d406c5051379.jpg

Crazy cool stuff as always Mr. Berk! Glad to see this thread alive and kicking. All the activity on the Timely and Atlas threads have me jealous :D don't get me wrong I LOVE seeing all those Timely gems, but Its really nice to be able comment AND post sometimes lol . I thought the MLJ thread hitting 100 pages would start a fire, but.. :tonofbricks: any way, always fun to see what's going on on these boards! Would you happen to be the owner of the Church Four Favorites 24? I obtained a copy this year. Killer cover. Would love to see the Church copy if it's yours!

Crazy cool stuff as always Mr. Berk! Glad to see this thread alive and kicking. All the activity on the Timely and Atlas threads have me jealous :D don't get me wrong I LOVE seeing all those Timely gems, but Its really nice to be able comment AND post sometimes lol . I thought the MLJ thread hitting 100 pages would start a fire, but.. :tonofbricks: any way, always fun to see what's going on on these boards! Would you happen to be the owner of the Church Four Favorites 24? I obtained a copy this year. Killer cover. Would love to see the Church copy if it's yours!

I do not.....have some single digit Four Favorites.....

151735.jpg.55103ceb44138d97a46de6fcdc84a012.jpg

151736.jpg.c7cc498469553ab71121d12f53c19059.jpg

Great stuff Jon. You were so prescient to pick up those books and recreations when you did.

Thanks Richard---it was a challenge and a hoot to find the artist, convince the artist to do the cover. Mooney liked doing them and Tuska also, Flessel.

I had failures too, like trying to get Eisner to do Wonder Comics 1 (that is a whole different story).

I feel lucky enough that I was able to obtain what I did. About 60% or so of my recreations were commissioned directly by myself

Here is a link to many of them....

http://comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=5028

WOW Jon :o Those recreations AND those Church copies are unbelievable!!! I bought some bronze age Marvel pages from Jim and regret selling them now. They were from the Omega run. He was a SUPER nice guy and I still have some e-mails from him. I WISH I'd have had the forethought to have him do some recreations :(

I also wanted to ask you if you know of any Ace superhero original art to exist? I've looked around and have turned up nothing :( These books are SO much fun!!! I'm having a blast working on the superhero runs :) Thanks again for sharing your books and artwork!!!