• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY Comic-Con

32 posts in this topic

I went last year and this year, the line to get in Friday was ridiculous (snaked out the Javits down to 34th, down to the WSHWY back around the Javits and then into an inside maze before getting on the floor) I'm not going until later today to try to avoid all that waiting.

As for the stuff on display, I didn't find it as impressive as last year. Higher prices for equal or lower quality. The only true jaw-dropper is Metropolis who brought two DC 27's one CGC'd at 6...beautiful.

I went with one goal, to find a ASM 14 above a 6 for a reasonable price, so far everything's going well above guide frown.gif.

The space is much much better this year, but the dealers are lacking, IMO.

Actually, I had a terrific time at the con yesterday (and I thought last year was a real bust). The line to get in was ridiculously long, agreed, but unlike last year it actually kept moving. I'd take 40 minutes of waiting (even standing outside...hey, we're New Yorkers, fuggetaboutit) over last year's 2+ hours any day.

As for the dealers, it must depend on what you're looking for. I left the con with a stack of books, which is very unusual for me. Graham Crackers (all the way in the back) was blowing out an amazing collection of bronze DCs & I couldn't resist grabbing a bunch. I didn't find the GA gems I was looking for, but had a great time looking at some GA collections offered by dealers that don't do the Big Apple shows. That's the main reason I enjoy these larger shows...it seems to scare up some dealers that don't normally set up everywhere else, and it's a breath of fresh air to see something besides the usual tired stock that certain regular dealers truck to every show. Hope everyone else can get in 893crossfingers-thumb.gif and has a great time as well!

I'll post a real con report tomorrow:

nice show, lots of people. Still, tons of HG Marvel in the room, but priced high. High end dealers having okay shows, nothing gangbusters. Some mid level dealers having great shows. Have heard some dollar dealers very impressed with the show.

me... ? No high grade ten centers, or very few. Bought one book so far, a stunning JLA #21 from Ted VanLiew. Probably a 9.2.

I got there a little before 11 and there was a line outside of the javits center all the way down to 40th street but it moved very quickly. It took about 45 minutes to get in. It was wild. I hadn't gone last year so I can't compare it but there was definetly a lot to see. I picked up a very nice X-Men #6 CGC 9.2 from Bob Storms and an even nicer X-men #18 CGC 9.6 from Investment Collectibles. Thanks to Doug Schmell for leading me to that one.

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

I hope to have a forum dinner report once I can get photobucket working again.

I thought the Con was a bit overwhelming this year with so much space, but loved every minute of it. As far as purchases go, i brought a ton of books mostly Bronze from the one dealer from South Carolina at $5 bucks a pop. I also purchased a nice slew of key Silver Age as well, will post scans soon.

I'll post a real con report tomorrow:

nice show, lots of people. Still, tons of HG Marvel in the room, but priced high. High end dealers having okay shows, nothing gangbusters. Some mid level dealers having great shows. Have heard some dollar dealers very impressed with the show.

me... ? No high grade ten centers, or very few. Bought one book so far, a stunning JLA #21 from Ted VanLiew. Probably a 9.2.

Looks like the fact that this is a "big" con means dealers are keeping their inventory due to high pricing instead of moving it.................never understand that thinking. It's hard to believe that you couldn't find more than 1 book(!) out of all those dealers. I'll have to check it out tomorrow to see for myself.

Since I've been doing comic cons for about 35 years(not to mention Star Trek cons in the 70's), the "draw" will be hard for me as I've seen all the Star Wars and Sci-Fi stuff for 35 years and it wore off me 20 years ago. It's all about pricing and grade, and throw in a good guest or two, now. If I can get a nice book here on the CGC WTB forum or at smaller shows, then, for me, these big shows won't float my boat due to cost of ticket, transportation, parking, etc.,.............the smaller Philly show and Philly Wizard might be all that I need at this point. Of course, I am going with an open mind, and wallet, just to see how this "new" con operates and compares to the Carbonaro show. If it's so-so for me, no need to go back again, but if it holds my interest, I will go back.