• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYC COMIC CON PART 1 MEETING AND SHAKING HANDS WITH STAN!!

20 posts in this topic

California’s San Diego’s comic conventions have dominated the scene for years freezing out those of us on the East coast who could not afford the long flight, expensive stay in sunny California. Finally we get have our own right here in N.Y. city where comics were born and still thrive.

I’ve been collecting for many years, been to lots of smaller comic conventions but nothing I had ever done prepared me for this experience When I first read here on the boards that NYC was having a big Con and Stan Lee was the guest or honor I told my buddy Lou we had to attend regardless of the cost. Stan normally does not come back East, and those in California Con or West of the Mississippi always seemed to have Stan’s ear. Not this time we have “The Man “ back in the big apple. So we both scored out tickets on line, waited on “pins and needles” for the tickets to arrive in the mail. Seemed like they took forever to show up but they got here and the trip for C.T. was planned.

Before going down we told out LCS owner our plans, and I told him I was going to try to meet with Stan. Of course he didn’t think it was possible. 19,000+ fans packed in a convention center with lots and lots of security. I always like a challenge.

So on “sold out” Saturday

dscf2339aw7.jpg

we started down to the Big Apple. Not sure what to expect when we got there around 10:20am we got a big surprise. Lines and Lines the stretched for blocks. The only good news was every one had to have a ticket and we’d get in. Plus the cold weather held of and the wind was not whipping down.

dscf2332dg6.jpg

1 hour later and making friends with some of the fans in the line we got it. Wow it was like being in a heaven. Too much to see to much to do. We made a bee line to the DC area. My buddy is a long time DC fan and wanted George Perez's autograph.

dscf2342fx3.jpg

Well we got on line only to find that they but a "Cap" on the line and we might not get to George after all. Our first disappointment, turned out to be an amazing event. Suddenly my buddy yelled out to me " Here comes Stan!" There he was walking in through the crowd on his way to the "POW" autograph signing ( 75 first come lucky fans got tickets to get autographs ) without thinking I stuck out my hand to Stan wishing him we and saying "Stan your the greatest" he said something back to me, and as I tried to take a picture I had my camera on video mode so I got him shaking my hand and walking way with me exclaiming “Oh my God I got this on video!!” I successfully met Stan, shook his hand, and had a 10 second conversation. I met my childhood hero in the flesh. Amazing simply amazing. 893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gifheadbang.gif

dscf2353ir7.jpgcloud9.gifacclaim.gif

After this what else could happen? We made our way making it back to the comics. Stopping by Harley

dscf2368ex1.jpg

Truly a nice man and he had some of the finest comics. I bought a couple of nice books. Fantastic Four #39, Fantastic Four #25 and a sweet looking Daredevil #16 for a fair price. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

ff25hleenu6.jpg

He was also nice enough to steer us to Zap comics who had a Adventure #247 that my buddy wanted to see ( and maybe buy ) takeit.gif

Well we continued to make the rounds perhaps the board member could tell me who I saw but here are a few pictures of the booths yay.gifyay.gif

dscf2372ou8.jpg

dscf2375ck8.jpg

dscf2385ke9.jpg

More to follow in Post 2 meeting Steve, making the purchase of a life time, and

seeing Stan, Gene, Joe, Flo and Ralph up close and personal gossip.gif

WEBHEAD

The last last pic is Frank Cwilik of Metropolis comics, very nice guy.

He kinda looks like Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys... before the breakdown. 893whatthe.gif

I thought he kinda looks like Bob Seager. Nice guy - I've never met the Metro gang, but I've spoken to Frank a couple times when ordering via phone. Nice pics!