• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone else hate Gerber...

27 posts in this topic

...as much as I do?

OK. I decide to focus solely on Golden age and start making a wantlist out of the Gerbers. Well, I made it through Volume one and have 225 books on my wantlist now.

I'll have 500 by the time I make it through Volume 2. A lifelong pursuit I guess.

How long are your Gerber want lists?

27_laughing.gif

I think you have to force yourself to pick your favorite company (DC, Centaur, etc), and then whittle down to your most essential want list books from there...

...or so I'm told. I can't do it either. confused-smiley-013.gif

My favorite company appears to be all of them.

27_laughing.gif

I know the feeling. I collect a little bit of everything as a result and I learned a long time ago that I'm okay with that.

I also went through both volumes & made a want list a year or so ago. Mine wasn't bad - maybe 20-25 titles. I think I've only picked up a couple of them. Now, my interests have moved in a new direction (that happens every week or so 27_laughing.gif).

I decided to just collect all the books on the covers. It seemed easier.

27_laughing.gif

hello all...

how many do you have now?...I re read the GA Group thread this weekend, and saw one post of 5 books you have that completed a row?...would love to get an update on this, or better yet, start a thread about it, and update as you add books

thanks

rick

would love to get an update on this, or better yet, start a thread about it, and update as you add books

It's now at the point that the books I'm adding are going to be further and further apart. I have 38 of 80 and I'm adding two more this week 893crossfingers-thumb.gif (shipping now). However, now I face the daunting (but fun) task of acquiring some of the more impossible to find books (NA #27 for example). After that I'll focus on the easy-but-costly books (GL#1, ASM #1, Jungle #1, Planet#1, etc.) and wrap up with the impossible $$$ books like Tec #27 and Action #1.

The current list is:

Out of this World 1

Weird Fantasy 16

Punch 20

Blue Bolt 105

Claire Voyant 1

Red Circle 1

Weird 1

Liberty 12

All Star 18

Mystery Men 9

Weird Mysteries 2

Prize 4

Supes 5

Mask 2

WW III

Planet 4

Tomb of Terror 15

Terrific 4

Jumbo 10

Blue Bolt 111

GL 3

Startling Terror 11

Future 2

Thrilling Crime Cases 49

Doc Savage 2

Fantastic 5

FF 1

Blue Bolt 106

Classics Ill. 40

Military 13

FC 318 (Donald)

Mystic 2

Feature Books 4

Contact 12

Silver Streak 6

Mister Mystery 12

FC 386 (Uncle Scrooge 1)

Captain Flight 11

I have my eye on a few more of the reachable ones like Shadow v.1 #3. I've completed only one column, the middle one on the front cover of K-Z, but need only the Shadow for another. I've completed only one row, the bottom one on the back cover of A-J, but need only a Mask #1 to complete another.

I'm not sure it's worthy of its own thread or anything. I have a web-based idea but I'm saving that for when I get back from WonderCon. I will continue to update in the group shot thread as I complete columns & rows.

Well, the first book off the want list purchased today. Gotta start somewhere:

phpThumb.jpg

Couldn't you find a higher grade copy? poke2.gif Damn that's a nice looking book.

My bronze and silver collecting criteria rears it's ugly head yet again. Thanks.

...as much as I do?

OK. I decide to focus solely on Golden age and start making a wantlist out of the Gerbers. Well, I made it through Volume one and have 225 books on my wantlist now.

I'll have 500 by the time I make it through Volume 2. A lifelong pursuit I guess.

How long are your Gerber want lists?

And that is why I think Ernie's achievement is one of- if not the pinnacle event for comicbooks as a hobby. Eye candy and window shopping opening up vistas that you never knew existed.......jon

We really need the right musician to create the Gerber Photojournal Guide Comic Collector Blues.