• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck for sale! Scoop article 3/2/07

60 posts in this topic

The current heritage auction seems very weak, by past standards, so maybe they are motivated to get a high profile item to generate overall interest?...

rick

I agree. Unless they get something coming through the pipeline in the next two weeks, this looks like the weakest Signature auction for Golden Age books in quite a while. The recent Comiclink auction was better.

I for one am glad. The onslaught of incredible stuff fueled the market at first, but it has the boomerang effect as well. Books need to be a little harder to find to generate some new excitement and speculation. A nice cycle of peace and tranquility from Heritage would be a welcomed respite for our wallets.

Good point. I totally agree.

I for one am glad. The onslaught of incredible stuff fueled the market at first, but it has the boomerang effect as well. Books need to be a little harder to find to generate some new excitement and speculation. A nice cycle of peace and tranquility from Heritage would be a welcomed respite for our wallets.

I have to agree with Bill. The non-stop deluge of high quality, hard-to-find material that Heritage has been pumping out over the last few years has made high quality, hard-to-find material seem common, less special, and thus less desireable. I think that 6 months without these types of items available will peak everyone's interests and be a boon for private sellers, dealers, and later Heritage auctions.

From talking with them at NY Con, they have a reasonable amount of interesting material at CGC.

Heritage certainly seem to be taking their sweet time with materials received already. They've had some of my books for about a month now and only 2 have appeared in the previews so far. So there may be more stuff that will show up in their auction than the previews currently show.

I have to agree with Bill. The non-stop deluge of high quality, hard-to-find material that Heritage has been pumping out over the last few years has made high quality, hard-to-find material seem common, less special, and thus less desireable. I think that 6 months without these types of items available will peak everyone's interests and be a boon for private sellers, dealers, and later Heritage auctions.

I don't think that a 6-month hiatus is something that they would consider given that they would be incurring the overhead during that time without any compensating revenue. Judging from their business model, which they have executed for years in coins, they are all about volume and I wouldn't expect that to change even if their gave everyone a breather.

Baring some extraordinary circumstance, the world of comics collecting has been impacted by eBay, CGC, and now Heritage.

I don't think that a 6-month hiatus is something that they would consider given that they would be incurring the overhead during that time without any compensating revenue. Judging from their business model, which they have executed for years in coins, they are all about volume and I wouldn't expect that to change even if their gave everyone a breather.

Baring some extraordinary circumstance, the world of comics collecting has been impacted by eBay, CGC, and now Heritage.

How about a boycott then? grin.gif27_laughing.gif

Go for it! headbang.gif

If everyone did it but me then I could pick up beaucoup cool books for next to nothing!!! cloud9.gif

Go for it! headbang.gif

If everyone did it but me then I could pick up beaucoup cool books for next to nothing!!! cloud9.gif

I was thinking the same thing!

rick

Go for it! headbang.gif

rick

Ha! Heritage and its employees would never let that happen. poke2.gif

Go for it! headbang.gif

rick

Ha! Heritage and its employees would never let that happen. poke2.gif

There's always a catch! Christo_pull_hair.gif

As a Plug to Metro, Steve got me this wonderful impossible book to find. I always appreciated it and I still miss it dispite it losing its king of the hill status. A gerber 10, and a key. Wow !

I wonder if there is more than 1 HG copy of this book around.

I remember seeing a super high grade copy at Metro's booth way back in the very early 90's. Maybe it's the same copy that was flipped back to Metro or it's the same unsold copy he's been sitting on for all these years.

As a Plug to Metro, Steve got me this wonderful impossible book to find. I always appreciated it and I still miss it dispite it losing its king of the hill status. A gerber 10, and a key. Wow !

I remember seeing a super high grade copy at Metro's booth way back in the very early 90's. Maybe it's the same copy that was flipped back to Metro or it's the same unsold copy he's been sitting on for all these years.

no way it's the latter; books have to fly out of there at the prices they ask.

no way it's the latter; books have to fly out of there at the prices they ask.

sign-funnypost.gif

can you imagine comicbook collectors all agreeing on anything at the same time?

a Boycott..that's rich!

Wouldn't work, collectors are a predatory and opportunistic lot at best and would find a way to take advantage of the boycott. Everyone here excluded of course angel.gif