• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine:Origin Query

18 posts in this topic

Gents,

I can't seem to recall what thread it was, but I seem to remember some of you discussing your copies of Wolverine:Origin #1. I'm considering purchasing a CGC 9.6 for about $50, or a 9.8 for $100. Do you think a 9.8 for double the price of a 9.6 is a prudent investment? Any suggestions for this relative newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

In my opinion the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 is an extra cup of coffee in the morning routine of the grader.

The difference is nil.

Save yourself the $50 and buy the 9.6.

Unless you just have to have the slab that says 9.8. makepoint.gif

Do you think a 9.8 for double the price of a 9.6 is a prudent investment?

To be honest there is not really any 'investment' potential in Origin #1, even in 9.8. Check the CGC census, it is just far too common.

The meat and potatoes in this hobby is buy what you enjoy or like to read, collect what you can afford and participate on the CGC Forum. Whatever you get above and beyond that is nothing but the gravy. grin.gif

Thanks alot fellas.....guess I'll just stick to my ASM's and USM's....would love to branch out but have no idea where to start.

Go to the local store and ask the owner what he reads and why. Ask other people in the store what they enjoy and why. Hell, ask us! Branching out is good, and if you don't know where to start then start with something you enjoy and don't get wrapped up in "investments". Comics are not the best way to "invest" if your looking for a cash return. They are a good way to "invest" if you're only interested in an emotional (joy) payoff.

Any modern books should not be considered an investment as the other posters mentioned. Collect what you enjoy reading and then you can't go wrong whether your books go down or up. The comic book marketplace almost met its end in the 1990's when all people did was buy tons of copies and no one read them. Origin is a great story and you can buy the trade or hardcover if you want to read it. Hardcovers tend to retain their value better. You can also buy the original Origin series raw pretty cheap now, it has cooled off like all hot stuff. Origin #1 CGC 9.8 I have seen go for $75 to $100, around $50 in CGC 9.6. There are many collectors who have already or are trying to put a run together in 9.8 or 9.6. These people are collectors (not investors). The fun is always in the hunt/search itself. I have some extra Origins if you are interested as well as other people here such as Darthdiesel. You can also post in the marketplace if you are looking to buy or sell.

I totally agree with spiderman. Even bronze books have the potential to go down in value. If you are buying only as investment, buy popular characters, high grade issues and issues that there are very few in high grade. and get the highest unrestored grade you can find. But I think you should buy for personal enjoyment with investment as a side. I think with most moderns the key is to either get extremely hard to find in high grade like perhaps the first 9.8 of superman 75 platinum or spider-man 1 platinum. Other than that, there are a million of each copy. I remember a year ago i had one of 7 asm 287's in 9.8, now there are 19. does it mean i will get less money on ebay if i sell it? More than likely, hell yes. Does it mean its less valuable to me? Nope. Just something to get you started. Investing in origin? You are looking at a road soaked in despair. There are a million ungraded copies of each issue. Why would someone want to pay a premium for something that there are a million others just as good if not in higher grades when they can pay that same premium and have something unique if no less important key issue?

And it doesn't matter anyway....this Origin will only last so long as the next backstory is thought up and given the green light from Marvel.

Case in point......Miller/Romita Jr's DD: The Man Without Fear mini was touted by Marvel as DD's definitive origin story and even reference so by the editor in #1's foreward.

Then Loeb/Sale's DD:Yellow is solicited and Marvel (including Breevort on the newsgroups) says that....Nope, DD: MWF wasn't really the definitive origin. They say it was a misunderstanding and Yellow is in fact the definitive version.

Yeah, right....

Jim

When I talked to Paul Jenkins last February I got the impression from him that he had already submitted a proposal for Origin II. That proposal seems to have been either rejected or shelved.

But Jenkins is still supposed to do Origin II and the book has not been cancelled.

The problem is that they still want Kubert to draw it, and he's going to be busy with 1602 for a while longer, and Kubert is going to want a little break between finishing 1602 and starting Origin II, that is if he does agree to do Origin II next.

So in the meantime, Jenkins is writing Wolverine: The End which will tell Wolverine's last story (like Marvel: The End and Hulk: The End). It's supposed to be a sprawling epic - taking Logan all over the globe in search of something which will eventually kill him.

Artwork is by the extremely under-rated artist Claudio Castellini who drew an amazing Silver Surfer one-shot and a three issue Conan mini-series (along with the Marvel half of Marvel vs. DC).

Kev