• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade CGC Transformers #1 are red hot...but why???

Why is it so hard to find a high grade CGC copy of Transformers #1?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Why is it so hard to find a high grade CGC copy of Transformers #1?

21 posts in this topic

Movie Hype...plain and simple. How many people actually cared about this book before.

That's what I thought at first, but if you look at the number of spin-off titles and cross-overs the Transformers have had, could it be that they were underrated and underappreciated? The characters definitely have some longevity and there is still a pretty good market for the toys and the comics - not just here in the US but all around the world. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wonder if the IDW series is doing well 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One thing that I can tell you is that this book is(was) farely easy to get. I have probably passed on plenty of raw NM copies over the last couple of years. I even had a nice raw copy myself that I basically threw somewhere confused-smiley-013.gif I am sure plenty of people will notice the slabbed market right now and submit their raw copies.

No offense to anyone, but people are monkeys. As Mutantkeys said, it is purely movie hype. Spider-man 3 is a great example. I'm selling Spider-man books that I normally couldn't give away simply due to the movie. Venom books, which couldn't have been given away before, sell for a low price.

Especially for Transformers #1, I can't see the prices sticking around. It is a common issue and it wasn't that great of a read. Just my opinion.

Pat

It's very simple. There are many things that people want but don't really need. Therefore, they buy what is brought to their attention. This is why advertising works (on most people) and is so prominent.

In the case of Transformers, the series became almost worthless after it was cancelled. Years ago, prices started rising due to nostalgia. Currently, prices are reaching ridiculous levels because of the attention the movie is bringing to the Transformers.

Personally, I sold most of my Transformers collection (low grade readers up to around #68) years ago. I eventually read the rest of the series thanks to a website that had all the issues scanned. I have no desire to collect the individual issues again, but I own one of the TPBs that I found really cheap and would gladly buy the rest for similar prices.

Of course, I do own a couple of high grade #3s that I bought for $1 each. grin.gif I may not want the series again, but I'm not stupid. tongue.gif

I just received a reader set of Transformers 1-40 so I'll have to dig through it and let you guys know what I want.

As for the high prices these books are fetching on ebay, all I can say is, sell'em if you've got'em!!

Recent sales on ebay- CGC 9.6 - $257 and CGC 9.4 $128! The 9.4's on comiclink are listed at $175; the 9.6's are $275 and $295; and a 9.8 sold for $495.

Grade Average 12 month 90 day Last

(9.8) (27)350.89 (16) 436.18 (2) 448.00 496.00

(9.6) (93)124.56 (51) 143.81 (16) 168.47 169.99

(9.4) (47)60.90 (31) 70.81 (9) 101.05 119.99

No offense to anyone, but people are monkeys. As Mutantkeys said, it is purely movie hype. Spider-man 3 is a great example. I'm selling Spider-man books that I normally couldn't give away simply due to the movie. Venom books, which couldn't have been given away before, sell for a low price.

Same here!

I just moved a whole bunch of misc spidey books that I would not be able to sell any other day of the year thanks to movie hype..

now to sell my transformers figures

It's very simple. There are many things that people want but don't really need.

I think I'll quit collecting comics altogether. tongue.gif

Cool. Sell me your collection really cheap. tongue.gif

But I don't like Valiants. They suck. You have other stuff, right? poke2.gif

Actually, I have read some of the pre-Unity stuff and it's pretty good.

It's very simple. There are many things that people want but don't really need.

I think I'll quit collecting comics altogether. tongue.gif

Cool. Sell me your collection really cheap. tongue.gif

But I don't like Valiants. They suck. You have other stuff, right? poke2.gif

Actually, I have read some of the pre-Unity stuff and it's pretty good.

Shotgun on the Valiants shy.gifflowerred.gif

sell them if you hae them it won't last too far past the movie, because there are bajillions in warehouse hoards, I think I prescreened 1,000 9.8's out of a 20 long box supply all transformers 1. You should have seen the G.I. Joe # 1 (1982) boxes.

sell them if you hae them it won't last too far past the movie, because there are bajillions in warehouse hoards, I think I prescreened 1,000 9.8's out of a 20 long box supply all transformers 1. You should have seen the G.I. Joe # 1 (1982) boxes.

How come the census doesn't list anywhere close to 1000 9.8s (40 total) and 9.6s (less than 100) combined?? I am not saying they are not out there, but I find that hard to believe. I have 40 of my best copies of TF 1 left and 0 would get a 9.8 or even a 9.6.

I think the owner had them pre-screened himself by Dr. Neff. That probably means he's deciding which ones he might send to the CGC. Of course it could less likely mean that it was pre-screened at the CGC too. But since Dr. Neff is located in Wa. I don't think he works for the CGC in Fl. so it's much less likely he's pre-screening at CGC himself.

But how many of #80? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif