• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My WonderCon MONSTER Deal: How did I do??

113 posts in this topic

Hey GA fans-

So, I pondered this deal (and various other scenarios) in my head most of Friday and Saturday at the SF Wondercon this past weekend. This is what went down. LMK your thoughts. Did I give up too much? foreheadslap.gif Intially, I thought yes, but I think I did well. The cover is killer and I had to have it. yay.gif

Gave up:

-Action Comics #13 CGC 4.0 cream/off-white (tough to let go of!) Christo_pull_hair.gif

-AF #15 CGC 4.0 Cream/off-white (easily replaceable--I have a beater copy still)

-FF #1 CGC 3.5 Cream/off-white (easily replaceable--I have a 2.5 copy still)

-$1,000 cash

Got in return: thumbsup2.gif

Tec31MyCopy.jpg

It was graded a VG-3.5, but I think it's more G/VG 3.0. Colors are great. FC is loose at the bottom staple and there is a 3" vertical tear on the BC. The writing on the FC doesn't really bother me. Pages are chipped on the corners but, otherwise, are cream with some tanning. I've never owned this book, and it makes a great addition to my 35 and 37 893applaud-thumb.gif LMK what you all think of the deal. Thanks.

Yo PT,

Here is my take,

Am 15 all day ebay $3500.00

FF#1 All Day Ebay $3500.00

Action #13 $2000.00 Tough call, would love this one tough to find might go higher

Cash $1000.00

Total IMHO $10,000.00

Average for a G/VG to VG Tec $10,000.00-12,000.00

Have the book you want .....$Priceless!

I don't think its a bad deal, probably on target. The X factor would be the Action 13, I don't feel I have enough info to project the actuall market on that book.

Paul

-Action Comics #13 CGC 4.0 cream/off-white (tough to let go of!)

Tell me that book was restored and I'll tell you the deal was fine.

No, it was BLUE label but it had PRINTING ERROR notes on it as the blue color on the "ACTION COMICS" logo had faded, so CGC took note of it. I showed it to Borock and he said I could send it in for review and they may take the notes off. He said they had a tough time with it...I was going to re-submit, but pulled the trigger instead...

first off, great pickup on the Tec 31!

I think when we see what Harley starts asking for his (your) Action 13, you'll have a better sense of how you made out. Without seeing how the Action 13 looked with the fading, it's tough to say what it's FMV would be. It is, however, a book that literally almost never comes up for sale. Obviously you wanted the Tec 31 more- so as long as you are happy with the book you got, I would not second guess yourself.

I think when we see what Harley starts asking for his (your) Action 13, you'll have a better sense of how you made out. Without seeing how the Action 13 looked with the fading, it's tough to say what it's FMV would be. It is, however, a book that literally almost never comes up for sale. Obviously you wanted the Tec 31 more- so as long as you are happy with the book you got, I would not second guess yourself.

Thanks Mattbird. Yeah, I heard my books were up on his wall Sunday, but I dunno what he is asking...my guess is maybe $4500-$4800 range...$4000 minimum...

I think when we see what Harley starts asking for his (your) Action 13, you'll have a better sense of how you made out. Without seeing how the Action 13 looked with the fading, it's tough to say what it's FMV would be....

Ben, congrats on the trade! Your Tec #31 is a perfect fit with your collection of GA keys 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm posting your picture from the group shot thread (rough photo, but you can see the Action #13 thumbsup2.gif)...

411889630_3965504ae8_o.jpg

GE

Hey GA fans-

So, I pondered this deal (and various other scenarios) in my head most of Friday and Saturday at the SF Wondercon this past weekend. This is what went down. LMK your thoughts. Did I give up too much? Intially, I thought yes, but I think I did well. The cover is killer and I had to have it.

Gave up:

-AF #15 CGC 4.0 Cream/off-white (easily replaceable--I have a beater copy still)

-$1,000 cash

No offense, but I don't think you did well in that deal. The three books you traded would sell outright for considerably more than the equivalent of the trade. Considering that there are people out there who would give their left (insert word here) for that Action 13 (I estimate closer to 3000-3500 dollars), I think you could have done much better than you did. Again, no offense intended.

I think when we see what Harley starts asking for his (your) Action 13, you'll have a better sense of how you made out. Without seeing how the Action 13 looked with the fading, it's tough to say what it's FMV would be....

Ben, congrats on the trade! Your Tec #31 is a perfect fit with your collection of GA keys 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm posting your picture from the group shot thread (rough photo, but you can see the Action #13 thumbsup2.gif)...

411889630_3965504ae8_o.jpg

GE

Thanks Gino. And the Bat 1 is getting it's slab this week...

Which is why I said I didn't have enough info, just my best guess! I figured more, but I have never seen one for sale!

I didn't mean that to sound like a knock against you mr.schomburg, I was just saying that this book would go for way above guide simply due to the fact that it doesn't come up for sale everyday..it may be more scarce than #1. but I'm not sure.

Hey GA fans-

So, I pondered this deal (and various other scenarios) in my head most of Friday and Saturday at the SF Wondercon this past weekend. This is what went down. LMK your thoughts. Did I give up too much? Intially, I thought yes, but I think I did well. The cover is killer and I had to have it.

Gave up:

-$1,000 cash

No offense, but I don't think you did well in that deal. The three books you traded would sell outright for considerably more than the equivalent of the trade. Considering that there are people out there who would give their left (insert word here) for that Action 13 (I estimate closer to 3000-3500 dollars), I think you could have done much better than you did. Again, no offense intended.

No offense taken! flamed.gif I'm open to the opinions! Thanks bro!

Hey GA fans-

Gave up:

-$1,000 cash

Assuming that was the copy at Harley's booth, I have to agree with Thegoldenage that you gave up more than I would have given up for it. But still, congrats on getting a Detective Comics #31! That is a sweet book in its own right. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey GA fans-

Gave up:

-$1,000 cash

Assuming that was the copy at Harley's booth, I have to agree with Thegoldenage that you gave up more than I would have given up for it. But still, congrats on getting a Detective Comics #31! That is a sweet book in its own right. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments FFB. Yah, it was Harley's copy. I was about 80% sure I wasn't going to do it, then the clock hit 6pm and I had to go buy his booth again...

I didn't take as a knock, just wanted everyone to understand, I was just voicing my limited opinion on the trade. I also wanted to be conservative since my knowledge of that book is nill.

So my dream of owning a nice FN range copy of Action 13 to put in my train covers run, may just be a dream.