• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My WonderCon MONSTER Deal: How did I do??

113 posts in this topic

do you have a back cover scan of this book Primetime ? just curious.

Ah, my fault Dude...I read it wrong...no BC scan yet...just a front..sorry...

cool, post one when you can thumbsup2.gif

I called cold called Harley back in early January and inquired to see if he had a Tec 31, and he just happened to pick up the copy I now own. I gave it some thought, but didn't want to drop $9500 yet...I did not expect Harley to have the book still (thought it would have sold long ago), but was surprised to see it on his rack on the Wondercon 893whatthe.gif And when you see a book you like in person, it makes you want it more, esp. if you can do the deal in person and not worry about it getting shipped across the country...He told me at the show, some local guy called him just as he was leaving for London, saying he had a stack of old comics----the Tec 31 being in the stack....just thought I's share...

thanks Rick! thumbsup2.gif...and in 4-5 years it will likely hit the $10k-$12k price range most likely...i'm just another 893applaud-thumb.gif GA collector!

well said...remember, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...given that, to you it is already there!

I emailed you the bc scan

rick

alright, so just out of curiousity- between the copy you just traded for, and Ciorac's recent sale of his Tec 31 for $8k,

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

I assume you'd prefer the copy you now own as it's unrestored? Personally speaking, once you are down in the lower grades, is 'unrestored' so important as be willing to pay significantly more, for a book that presents significantly lower?

alright, so just out of curiousity- between the copy you just traded for, and Ciorac's recent sale of his Tec 31 for $8k,

I assume you'd prefer the copy you now own as it's unrestored? Personally speaking, once you are down in the lower grades, is 'unrestored' so important as be willing to pay significantly more, for a book that presents significantly lower?

Interesting question and I am curious to see how others will respond. I could see either way, but personally I would take the restored copy at their respective price points...

Interesting question and I am curious to see how others will respond. I could see either way, but personally I would take the restored copy at their respective price points...

For me personally, an unrestored book in a low grade is far more desirable than a restored book in a high grade regardless of the degree of restoration. To know that you are holding a book that only father time and a kid's admiration has had an effect upon, is truly something special.

To know that you are holding a book that only father time and a kid's admiration has had an effect upon, is truly something special.

my 'kid's admiration' of my childhood comic books typically included hours of color touching... stooges.gif

Bill's Detective #31 looks to have started out at roughly around the same grade (and maybe even a little higher) as Primetime's, albeit with better PQ. All things being equal (including price), I would take Bill's copy. I'd be getting essentially the same "original" book, plus about $800-1000 worth of free professional restoration that appears to have been done very well. But I don't have the same aversion to restored books that some people do, so my choice may not be the most popular one.

Since Bill listed his #31 as only having SP work done, I imagine his book originally graded quite a bit higher then the RAW one listed in this thread. And was probably structurally in much better shape to begin with too. If it had any piece fill, it was probably only small chips. Hopefully everything else falls under normal SP, clean / press, minor spine reinforcement / tear seals, with only minor CT allowed.

If one has an aversion towards owning restored books I could see the allure of buying the raw copy purchased from Harley, but Bills book presents so well and since it only had minor work done I could make a case for owning both copies if they were priced the same. But they were not, so I would take Bills SP 8.0 if I had to choose.

Both books are worth owning though, the price he paid is easy to nit pick afterwards. In the end he got what he wanted, and should be happy to own a solid raw copy of one of the best covers ever. While losing the Action #13 will probably always sting, that book was probably the reason Harley pulled the trigger on his swap with you.

Congrats on your new book.

Ze-

hello all..

Bill's tec 31 was one of the first tec 31 I bought last year....the only real work done to it was color touch...there were no minor or major missing pieces, the pages were in off white shape (strong pages) and I think maybe a single small tear seal somewhere? and bindary chips replaced...structurally it was likely in the vg or better range before the color touch (which was moderate to extensive, I believe) and was cleaned (so likely soiled/dirty)...so overa ll, the extent of the restoration was likely in the slight to moderate range, because of no real structural work (as in pieces or tears, etc)

rick

yah, I really do prefer unrestored, but I take them as I get them...I did not hear about Ciorac's Tec blowout until they were all gone (except the 34)...

hello all..

Bill's tec 31 was one of the first tec 31 I bought last year....the only real work done to it was color touch...there were no minor or major missing pieces, the pages were in off white shape (strong pages) and I think maybe a single small tear seal somewhere? and bindary chips replaced...structurally it was likely in the vg or better range before the color touch (which was moderate to extensive, I believe) and was cleaned (so likely soiled/dirty)...so overa ll, the extent of the restoration was likely in the slight to moderate range, because of no real structural work (as in pieces or tears, etc)

rick

Looks like a great book with nice eye appeal...the work sounds much like my Tec 37 except mine has a piece replaced on the BC...

Since Bill listed his #31 as only having SP work done, I imagine his book originally graded quite a bit higher then the RAW one listed in this thread. And was probably structurally in much better shape to begin with too. If it had any piece fill, it was probably only small chips. Hopefully everything else falls under normal SP, clean / press, minor spine reinforcement / tear seals, with only minor CT allowed.

If one has an aversion towards owning restored books I could see the allure of buying the raw copy purchased from Harley, but Bills book presents so well and since it only had minor work done I could make a case for owning both copies if they were priced the same. But they were not, so I would take Bills SP 8.0 if I had to choose.

Both books are worth owning though, the price he paid is easy to nit pick afterwards. In the end he got what he wanted, and should be happy to own a solid raw copy of one of the best covers ever. While losing the Action #13 will probably always sting, that book was probably the reason Harley pulled the trigger on his swap with you.

Thanks Ze. Yes, w/out the Tec 31 and Act13 in the mix, it would not have worked.

Ze-

I was looking at the #29 that Bill had in the same marketplace post. foreheadslap.gif You're right, the 31 was probably nicer than the one Primetime bought.

Both books are worth owning though, the price he paid is easy to nit pick afterwards. In the end he got what he wanted, and should be happy to own a solid raw copy of one of the best covers ever. While losing the Action #13 will probably always sting, that book was probably the only reason Harley pulled the trigger on his swap with you.

Ze-

Ze-

Thanks Ze. Yes, w/out the Tec 31 and Act13 in the mix, it would not have worked.