• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,436 posts in this topic

Geeze Jeff! That cover is just astounding! First time I have seen it and it really is memorable! Just great!

Thanks POV. We should get together sometime and you can see it in person...I think every book looks better in person. Plus, since it's slabbed, I can wipe off the drool!

I was gonna agree right away until I read the "drool" part! 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

Sure - lets gather up our proudest books and have a showing! We got lots of Bay Area folk here!

Here's one of the first GA books I acquired, 15 years ago...

Silver_Streak_18s.jpg

I tell you every time I see an old label I think resub it. For a GA book that is about as nice of 8.0 as I've seen in a while. Perfect PQ, super nice staples. 893applaud-thumb.gif Care to share the graders notes? I assume that BLC chip is what is keeping it down?

Ever wonder why Comic Cavalcade #6 was so rare compared to its peers?

Here's the answer: GUILT TRIP

ComicCavalcade6Front.jpg

It contains a full page public service strip featuring Wonder Woman (right after her story) explaining the need to organize waste paper salvage groups for the war effort, showing how soldiers' rations are packed in paper, shells are wrapped in paper, and other war essentials ("bomb bands, practice bombs, wing tips, airplane signals, parachute flares") are all converted from paper.

Then, after the Green Lantern story, there's another full page public service strip featuring Doiby Dickles tackling and trying to arrest a businessman who throws a newspaper into a garbage can instead of recycling it.

Then, after the Flash story, there's yet another full page public service strip featuring the Flash urging YOU to help in the scrap paper salvage drive!

It's a wonder any copies of this issue surivived at all.

Centaur Dude,

Never saw that cover before, just outstanding. GA has that rare mystique we will probably never see again. It just blows my mind when a book gets a scarce rating that suggests that there are less than 20 copies still around. What's the rating on this book?

It contains a full page public service strip featuring Wonder Woman (right after her story) explaining the need to organize waste paper salvage groups for the war effort, showing how soldiers' rations are packed in paper, shells are wrapped in paper, and other war essentials ("bomb bands, practice bombs, wing tips, airplane signals, parachute flares") are all converted from paper.

Then, after the Green Lantern story, there's another full page public service strip featuring Doiby Dickles tackling and trying to arrest a businessman who throws a newspaper into a garbage can instead of recycling it.

Then, after the Flash story, there's yet another full page public service strip featuring the Flash urging YOU to help in the scrap paper salvage drive!

CentaurMan,

Can you provide us a scan of those three strips. I have wanted to see them for years.

Thanks

I'll see what I can do. It's a squarebound book with a cardboard cover, so obviously it's not something I can even come close to pressing flat onto the scanner bed. But I may be able to take a decent digital photo.

That's because I was trying to hoard all of the paper collectibles for myself! smirk.gif

Nice books being posted. That Silver Streak looks much nicer than 8.0 to me, and I don't remember seeing this Comic Cavalcade cover before.

Awesome cover!

Does anyone here have Fighting Yank #23, the one with the really cool "hooded guys torture the girl with a snake at night" cover? I absolutely adore that cover!

Awesome cover!

Does anyone here have Fighting Yank #23, the one with the really cool "hooded guys torture the girl with a snake at night" cover? I absolutely adore that cover!

Metro has a 7.0 for $950. Vinny, I should be getting a comission for this...

Another fave of mine, underated IMO!!! Early super hero getting own series,Winter 1939!!! Simplistic cover by Lou Fine!!! Cool stories inside,reprints from Mystery Men!! If Victor Fox knew what to do with this character ,he might have went somewhere!! cloud9.gif

scan0005.jpg

With those in an interest in Fox publications 1939-42 go to www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm for an overview of this company and it books...jon

oh did i mention with a whole lot of covers?????

Jon;

An absolutely wonderful and well-researched article. It clearly shows your love for these type of comics. It was great rereading it a second time even though I had already read it back in CBM. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As an aside, I used to read every single article in CBM back in the days of Gary Carter. With the new administration, I've found myself selecting only certain articles to read and bypassing the others. Lately though, CBM seems to be heading back in the right direction with wonderful articles such as yours. thumbsup2.gif

With those in an interest in Fox publications 1939-42 go to www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm for an overview of this company and it books...jon

oh did i mention with a whole lot of covers?????

Jon;

An absolutely wonderful and well-researched article. It clearly shows your love for these type of comics. It was great rereading it a second time even though I had already read it back in CBM. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As an aside, I used to read every single article in CBM back in the days of Gary Carter. With the new administration, I've found myself selecting only certain articles to read and bypassing the others. Lately though, CBM seems to be heading back in the right direction with wonderful articles such as yours. thumbsup2.gif

For the on line article more graphics were added ....and then there are the covers...Jon