• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

Here's a Rare Oddity from Centaur Comics , I picked up a few weeks back. It has beautiful white pages, nice colors but a mouse chew on lower spine. Gerber gives it a 8. I know I've never seen one before in years. Cover by Bill Everett . Published in Sept. 1938. A interesting note:I was looking through my collection a couple of weeks back& came across a letter in Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol.2 no.# 8 by Joe Hardie "the publisher" of Centaur Comics. Now this book AMF Vol. 2 # 8 is almost a year later, has a Ad on the inside front cover stating : Buy any 3 Centaur comics"latest" ,tear off the tops of the comics where the title is ,send it in with a 2 cent stamp "postage" & a note with your name & address & we'll rush you your FREE Comic!! This tells me it wasn't a great seller when it hit the newstands. Plus I wouldn't call it a comic book per se , but it does fit the qualifications 64 pages ,etc. Centaurs were known for there ,not so quite Great disrtibution system.

From what I gather when they folded as a Comics company , Joe Hardie still published years afterwards with crossword puzzle books . Maybe Jon Berk, if he's reading this could give us some insights on this book of how it was a odd 1 shot amongst there other comics at the time ,such as Funny Pages, Amazing Mystery Funnies, etc.

scan0002.jpg

Here's a recent pickup...I really like this robot cover. Really nice book, except for the bottom and right edges. Also, there might be a tear seal near Wonder Woman. Not sure if this is a keeper or not.

ddg03.jpg

Got this the other day: DSCN1543.jpg

It caught my eye when I first got the grading guide and saw the copy they had pictured. There were a few copies in SD but they were pretty low grade with the exception of the CGC 6.5. I thought I'd thumb through it once before I decided whether to slab it. The stories look pretty cool, very Fritz Lang-Style or like you said Universal.

It caught my eye when I first got the grading guide and saw the copy they had pictured. There were a few copies in SD but they were pretty low grade with the exception of the CGC 6.5. I thought I'd thumb through it once before I decided whether to slab it. The stories look pretty cool, very Fritz Lang-Style or like you said Universal.

I LOVE the art in those early Fox books (Eisner-Iger shop) circa 1939-40. Some of it is really crude, but it so evokes that anything-goes early-GA period where the artists were trying things out and weren't being forced into more of a house style. I would love to own a Weird #1 someday. Beautiful pick-up! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Point Five.

And finally...a book that I bought about a year ago and just got back from Matt Nelson at the Chicago show--I think he did a pretty good job cloud9.gif

896530-pep22.jpg

896530-pep22.jpg.8f78b3149cd977085bec382f33ae5ddf.jpg

Edited by 143ksk