• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Fuelman, some cool Centaurs, my favorite golden age books to collect. 893applaud-thumb.gifI think , I posted this some time ago , but here's a book that I bought about 4 or 5 years ago . love this cover & the rest of the book is also cool.

scan0011.jpg

into the blade she sped. - Indeed!!!

Great cover! One of the MMs I hope to pick up someday. thumbsup2.gif

Got this back from CGC a little while ago. It was an Ebay purchase I dropped off at San Diego. Took weeks and weeks (I'm an economy kinda guy) but it was worth the wait.

The scan is crappy because I'm still figuring out settings for slabbed books on my ancient machine...

earthman.jpg

Well I'm sure Red Hook or FFB could have done a better job (what with their fancy-schmancy software and their gamma adjusting), but here's a slightly better scan or your neat comic. Enjoy!

970505-Earthman_agro23.jpg

970505-Earthman_agro23.jpg.74b03e615441fcbdffec5e3e50dbeaba.jpg

Just got this in from Ebay yesterday...

It's stained, it's ripped, written on, creased, abraded, spine rolled and staple torn, and the pages are cream to off-white in the center. Note the nice coffee-can circular stain on the cover and the accounting! Good? Good plus? G/VG is a stretch...but who cares?!

I read it cover to cover last night!

supes5.jpg

I think I need to stop looking at Ebay for a little while...

cleaning is NOT restoration never was NEVER will be OVERSTREET even says they don't consider it restoration. Will it NEVER END?
I thought CGC considers it restoration. I have seen purple labels that included "cover cleaned". Classics Incorporated lists it under "slight" (http://www.comicrestoration.com/). So, no, it will never end. smile.gif

I already posted this in the Pedigree thread in general, but I'm really happy to have found this and I want to show it off some more; and this is one of the first times I got a GA book that I thought was really cigar-worthy. Besides I don't have anyone else to show my cool finds to, since none of my friends collect comics and all I ever get from the wife is "That's nice dear." smirk.gif

famousfunnies082lv4lh.jpg

...awesome cover,...can't believe how similar Adam Strange is to this pic,...

I already posted this in the Pedigree thread in general, but I'm really happy to have found this and I want to show it off some more; and this is one of the first times I got a GA book that I thought was really cigar-worthy. Besides I don't have anyone else to show my cool finds to, since none of my friends collect comics and all I ever get from the wife is "That's nice dear." smirk.gif

famousfunnies082lv4lh.jpg

That was my first thought.

Cool cover Theagenes- The Frazetta ones seem to overshadow other great Famous Funnies covers like this one.

Cool cover Theagenes- The Frazetta ones seem to overshadow other great Famous Funnies covers like this one.

There was very little science fiction back in the 20s and 30s and Buck was the first sci-fi hit in the newspapers. Murphy Anderson, original designer of Adam Strange, grew up reading Buck Rogers and even drew the strip for a time in the 40s. Before Adam Strange, he created two other Buck Rogers type characters - Lars of Mars and Capt Comet. I think the similarity is more than accidental.

gossip.gif Cool book!

There was very little science fiction back in the 20s and 30s and Buck was the first sci-fi hit in the newspapers. Murphy Anderson, original designer of Adam Strange, grew up reading Buck Rogers and even drew the strip for a time in the 40s. Before Adam Strange, he created two other Buck Rogers type characters - Lars of Mars and Capt Comet. I think the similarity is more than accidental.

gossip.gif Cool book!

I can definitely agree with that. Captain Comet and Adam Strange way too similiar. Now, I know where they got their looks from. hehehe.

Edited by Timulty

Yeah, Buck Rogers definately has the patent on the whole "crested helm and jetpack" look that became such an archetype in mid-20th century sci-fi, even up to the late 60's with Captain Marvel of the Kree (crested helm anyway sans jetpack). Flash Gordon and Brick Bradford are also usually cited as Buck Rogers knock-offs as well. Of course they are all John Carter of Mars knock-offs as he was the original contempory earthman transported through space and/or time to an alien world in your basic fish-out-of-water scenario. Early sci-fi kicks !

Hey guys, so I just nabbed a book from Harley Yee that was in no way, shape, or form on any want list of any kind. 27_laughing.gif But, I am a sap for these rare-as-hell esoteric giveaways, and I thought the price was right at roughly 30% of guide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

Whatcha all think, did I get a steal, or is this wildly overvalued in the guide? popcorn.gif No doubt the market for this stuff is pretty thin, but still pretty groovy. Not that I'm at all looking to flip this one; just always curious as to other's opinions.

Either way, I'll be pleased as punch to own it. acclaim.gif

My guess is it's ovevalued in guide - as it lists for over half what an actual copy of Comics Cavalcade #9 does, but at the price you picked it up for, especially considering it's slabbed, I'd say you did all right. Your right though, giveaway prices in general are all over the map - on ebay they always seem to sell for either a fraction of guide or several multiples confused-smiley-013.gif

Congrats.