• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

From a non comic specific dealer on ebay. They did not mention that the cover and centerfold were detached, but a great Mac Raboy cover still.

Dynamic9.jpg

WOW!! That book is impossible to find. hail.gif

reminds me of this Raboy cover

Captain%20Midnight%2011.jpg

From a non comic specific dealer on ebay. They did not mention that the cover and centerfold were detached, but a great Mac Raboy cover still.

Dynamic9.jpg

WOW!! That book is impossible to find. hail.gif

reminds me of this Raboy cover

Captain%20Midnight%2011.jpg

Used to own the Church copy of this book. Bought it in San Diego one year(back in the old convention center). Sold it to a board member, several years before these boards existed.

I just recieved these Action Comics. I will be sending them to CGC in a couple of months.

th_actioncomics79cover.jpg

th_actioncomics67cover.jpg

So what do you grade these in hand? I saw the forum grades.

I sold one of these for 3x guide ($50) about 10 years ago....so now I go and buy another copy for just under $70 cloud9.gif

How the world turns 1231137-0a_1_b.jpg

I think this is one of those books that can slip below the radar now and then. I bought a VG+ (advertised as a VG/F - close enough) copy thru the old Comic Source magazine about 10 years ago for $20, and it had been listed for at least two issues when I decided to buy it. A few months later I'm hearing prices of $75 and up for a copy in VGish shape. confused-smiley-013.gif

Over the top war stories inside too.

The little devil arrived today cloud9.gif

Let's see now, Horrific #3 is $112 in vg and came out around January 1953 or so. This War Fury #1 issue with the first bullet in head image that was then taken for Horrific #3 came out in September 1952 and guides for $54 in VG. Go figure. Both books are typical over guide books. 1243600-ComicBook1656.JPG

1243600-ComicBook1656.JPG.4db4e10d22d88787ab1b31c97b41ca61.JPG

Nice! Looks to be a VG+. I'd say you did quite well for $70. The Guide price gap I would be due to the interest in pre-code horror vs. pre-code war. As for specific collectibility, War Fury #1 has the bonus of being a flame-thrower cover as well thumbsup2.gif

Today's guide value on both WF #1 and Horrific #3 would barely have been an accurate reflection of fmv 10 years ago.

Nice! Looks to be a VG+. I'd say you did quite well for $70. The Guide price gap I would be due to the interest in pre-code horror vs. pre-code war. As for specific collectibility, War Fury #1 has the bonus of being a flame-thrower cover as well thumbsup2.gif

Today's guide value on both WF #1 and Horrific #3 would barely have been an accurate reflection of fmv 10 years ago.

And my history of selling a copy for triple guide 10 years ago reflects your comment well.

I sold one of these for 3x guide ($50) about 10 years ago....so now I go and buy another copy for just under $70 cloud9.gif

I think this is one of those books that can slip below the radar now and then. I bought a VG+ (advertised as a VG/F - close enough) copy thru the old Comic Source magazine about 10 years ago for $20, and it had been listed for at least two issues when I decided to buy it. A few months later I'm hearing prices of $75 and up for a copy in VGish shape. confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's see now, Horrific #3 is $112 in vg and came out around January 1953 or so. This War Fury #1 issue with the first bullet in head image that was then taken for Horrific #3 came out in September 1952 and guides for $54 in VG. Go figure. Both books are typical over guide books. 1243600-ComicBook1656.JPG

About 8 years ago, a friend and I discovered that this was the book from which the Horrific 3 image was taken and we rushed off to find copies. I bought a beautiful VFNM that had brown inside covers and tan-brown paper. I sold it for $150 thinking I was making a killing (I think top guide was $50 or so). makepoint.gif

One of those "I wish I had it back" moments.

About 8 years ago, a friend and I discovered that this was the book from which the Horrific 3 image was taken and we rushed off to find copies. I bought a beautiful VFNM that had brown inside covers and tan-brown paper. I sold it for $150 thinking I was making a killing (I think top guide was $50 or so). makepoint.gif

One of those "I wish I had it back" moments.

This one can still fly under the radar on occasion, as I feel this purchase suggests. The first one I owned was purchased at a comic store in Nevada for $5 so when I sold it for $50, I felt like I was making a killing. I called it a VG but he person that received it let me know he thought it was a beatiful VG/FN makepoint.gif

We all have our "shoulda woulda moments". I did ok, but wouldn't mind having kept it for another 10 years and sold it for $200. That's the way with most of my collection though. The ones you sell are always the ones that go up, because they are in demand. For instance my VF/NM Action 28 that I sold for $650 to purchase a wedding present for my wife back in 1994. I still have the wife, so I think it was a wise decision to this day, even though the gift has nowhere near the monetary value of the Action. I still have my 30 from the same collection in VF+ or so. cloud9.gif

I just recieved these Action Comics. I will be sending them to CGC in a couple of months.

th_actioncomics79cover.jpg

th_actioncomics67cover.jpg

So what do you grade these in hand? I saw the forum grades.

I give them both a 4.5

Sweet book Surfer! How does the pricing on a Canadian copy compare to the US version?

Good question and I wish I really knew but these are so rare there and there is no database records of any of these selling. The two U.S. copies in this grade, the Okajima copy that was listed for around $8,500 on Archangels and the Church copy that WAS listed on Metro's site for just shy of $10,000. I sure paid a heck of a lot less than what the U.S. counterparts are listed for but given their rarity I'd have to think that this is worth a few bucks. I believe the Canadian copy of Captain America Comics #74 CGC 7.0 sold for close to $7,000?

Edited by Silver Surfer

Congrats Silver! It must be a huge relief when a book that nice comes back from CGC with a blue label. I'd think that when it comes to classic cover Timelys, the Canadian version would be alot closer in value to the US version than for many other books, as the Cap #74 price you quote indicates