• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

Mister DeGaulle only drew his sword to cut the cheese.

Talk about fictional funny books.

Huh ... not true. Please check out his WWI record of service ... excerpt from the Wikipedia (readers' beware) -

"Young Charles de Gaulle chose a military career and spent four years at Saint-Cyr (the French equivalent of the American West Point or the British Sandhurst). Graduating in 1912, he decided to join an infantry regiment rather than an elite corps.

During World War I, then-Captain de Gaulle was severely wounded in March 1916 at the gruesome Battle of Verdun and left for dead on the battlefield. He was, however, found and taken prisoner by the Germans. He made five unsuccessful escape attempts, and was put in solitary confinement at Ingolstadt fortress, a retaliation camp, where he encountered another incorrigible — Russian Lieutenant Mikhail Tukhachevsky."

Nice book! I also had this reaction with Real Life # 4 - Joan of Arc, Charles DeGaulle, WWI poilu, French Revolution and invading nazis all by Schomburg -

No, Eifel tower? What gives? confused-smiley-013.gif

I can see why you like it! Is that copy yours or a swipe of a scan?

I know; I was disappointed he couldn't find a spot for the Eiffel tower!

Both the Real Life and the Stamps are my copies. In fact, I picked up the Real Life from the Marketplace here a couple of months ago.

Wow -- going back all the way to the GA! Is that your oldest comic or do have you been picking up others on the sly?

Wow -- going back all the way to the GA! Is that your oldest comic or do have you been picking up others on the sly?

I guess you're right, it's my oldest comic, followed by this one I think -

1444850-Contact6s.jpg

and here's the very Blackhawk-ish splash that goes with it -

1444850-Contact6RudyPalaisSplashPagesmall.jpg

1444850-Contact6RudyPalaisSplashPagesmall.jpg.8857d46fa5942d232606315783e6980b.jpg

You're getting hooked! poke2.gif

I love the colors and image on that Contact! headbang.gif

Mister DeGaulle only drew his sword to cut the cheese.

Talk about fictional funny books.

Huh ... not true. Please check out his WWI record of service ... excerpt from the Wikipedia (readers' beware) -

"Young Charles de Gaulle chose a military career and spent four years at Saint-Cyr (the French equivalent of the American West Point or the British Sandhurst). Graduating in 1912, he decided to join an infantry regiment rather than an elite corps.

During World War I, then-Captain de Gaulle was severely wounded in March 1916 at the gruesome Battle of Verdun and left for dead on the battlefield. He was, however, found and taken prisoner by the Germans. He made five unsuccessful escape attempts, and was put in solitary confinement at Ingolstadt fortress, a retaliation camp, where he encountered another incorrigible — Russian Lieutenant Mikhail Tukhachevsky."

So his big thing was to get shot. tongue.gif

Followed up by getting captured. tongue.gif

I retract my earlier comments. The guy was truly building character for his later snubbing of the British and Americans when he trotted back into France in the mid 40's.

poke2.gif But nevermind that. I'm more interested in how Aaron Burr could make the cover. Does it gloss over his slight infamous moment. confused-smiley-013.gif

Got this in the mail yesterday. Was a present from a lady friend of mine, she won it from VA Dave on eBay. Wasn't that sweet of her?

flash14.jpg

Can I have her number???.. poke2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Looks like #14 to me.

Jack

happy to help

Got this in the mail yesterday. Was a present from a lady friend of mine, she won it from VA Dave on eBay. Wasn't that sweet of her?

flash14.jpg

Can I have her number???.. poke2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Looks like #14 to me.

Jack

happy to help

sign-funnypost.gif

Brilliant books, CM!! I have always liked these early sci-fi DC covers, you just don't see enough of them... and what condition too!! MIND BLOWING!!! They are so nice to see.

Thanks so much for posting those!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Your collection must be a sight to behold when its spread out on the living room floor. Do you ever scatter them on the floor and just swim through them, like Uncle Scrooge swimming in his money lake?

Your collection must be a sight to behold when its spread out on the living room floor. Do you ever scatter them on the floor and just swim through them, like Uncle Scrooge swimming in his money lake?

Oh yeah, all the time. I make sure to scan the books first, though, because they tend to present better pre-swim.

If you're ever in Chicago let me know and I'll have you over for a dip. smile.gif