• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,441 posts in this topic

Wow great cover, have never seen that issue before. Almost looks like Ditko did the cover, very similar style.

Robinson and Meskin worked together on a number of projects. The image and style are similar to Meskin and Meskin was one of the main influences on Ditko.

Bluechip: Great pickup! I thought about that one myself. I've got to believe the combination of red, yellow, and white against that black background will have to look mighty impressive!

My first Mile High purchase

Atoman11946MileHigh.jpg

Great book!

I was at a NYC convention a few years ago, and someone (from the boards maybe?) presented Jerry Robinson with a copy of this book to be signed as I was looking on. I won't soon forget how Jerry's face just lit up with surprise and pleasure at seeing it again, all these years later. cloud9.gif

I have heard Jerry speak of this book, too. He seemed to enjoy doing it very much and was disappointed that the publisher ran out of money while they were drawing issue 3. I guess the sales were decent but the publisher just couldn't keep going.

Picked this up a couple weeks back. From 1955 - Too late for Golden Age, too early for Silver. Atom Age? Well, it's got a comics code stamp, is that still the Atom Age? The "Exciting Adult Reading" blurb is an interesting hold-over form the last few pre-code issues of Dynamite. Not something one expects to see on a code approved book.

I'm finding the Charlton Johnny Dynamite/Foreign Intrigues as hard a run to complete as the Comic Media Dynamite issues.

Inside are a couple of Pete Morisi illustrated tales involving Communists, and another by an inferior artist. They lack the punch of the earlier pre-code hard-boiled crime stories, but one is notable as perhaps the first American comic book story to take place in Vietnam.

jd.jpg

Picked this up a couple weeks back. From 1955 - Too late for Golden Age, too early for Silver. Atom Age? Well, it's got a comics code stamp, is that still the Atom Age? The "Exciting Adult Reading" blurb is an interesting hold-over form the last few pre-code issues of Dynamite. Not something one expects to see on a code approved book.

I'm finding the Charlton Johnny Dynamite/Foreign Intrigues as hard a run to complete as the Comic Media Dynamite issues.

Inside are a couple of Pete Morisi illustrated tales involving Communists, and another by an inferior artist. They lack the punch of the earlier pre-code hard-boiled crime stories, but one is notable as perhaps the first American comic book story to take place in Vietnam.

jd.jpg

Great Lips..........on her too. Here's a cover that I love the colors on.

Ken

dollman5.jpg

Al Bryant is an overlooked artist who did a number of memorable covers like the one you just posted. Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I actually get to ride the long bus with this one....

1507557-tec85.jpg

Now My oldest DC hero book, and the most I've dropped on a book in about 5 years. I really like the fact that its Sprang's 1st Joker cover, since he does my favorite Joker hands down. Reading the story I was struck with just how good Sprang was, every panel is meticulously detailed, yet easy to see everything going on, a complete master of placing blacks for clarity. Such a joy to see in its original form. Fun Joker story inside where he switches sides to HELP Batman & robin...kinda. Has real Kirby art on the Boy Commandos, so that is a bonus.

1507557-tec85.jpg.d2af0797ed65657137243f37eb093d6b.jpg

1507557-tec85.jpg

Now My oldest DC hero book, and the most I've dropped on a book in about 5 years. I really like the fact that its Sprang's 1st Joker cover, since he does my favorite Joker hands down. Reading the story I was struck with just how good Sprang was, every panel is meticulously detailed, yet easy to see everything going on, a complete master of placing blacks for clarity. Such a joy to see in its original form. Fun Joker story inside where he switches sides to HELP Batman & robin...kinda. Has real Kirby art on the Boy Commandos, so that is a bonus.

Larson Copy? Sweet none the less. thumbsup2.gif

Sprang really is one of the top Batman artists. The Detective covers he did about 10-15 years ago are fantastic.

I still need to pick up a copy of Batman 30s through the 70s.

The B/W reproductions really show how good Sprang was.

No, I don't think its a larson, its too late and the L alone doesn't do it. But I have seen that "L" on books before so I am curious about that.

If it has a lone L then it's NOT a Larson.

As a youngster, Sprang was my favorite Batman artist. His stories are clearly told with a great deal of energy and polish. While I appreciate other Batman artists now, I don't mind going back and reading a Sprang story!

1507557-tec85.jpg

Nice pickup Matt!!

hail.gif