• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,437 posts in this topic

This book arrived today. I have always had a fondness for it, but never owned it, until now. I have also included some interior shots (not of every feature though because this sucker is huge! 84 pages)

mm0105.jpg

mm0106.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

p1010009-1.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010012-1.jpg

p1010013-1.jpg

P1010014.jpg

p1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

Pretty nice deal for your dime! You get Sheldon Mayer, HC Kiefer, Vin Sullivan and Walt Kelly's first artwork. Notice the subscription advertisement. I didn't know National offered subs back in 1935, I do now!

Thanks to our own Filter81 for this!

Gorgeous copy Ciorac. That is one of the nicer copies I have seen; most copies are beat up because of the poor quality paper stock cover. It must have been Filter's undercopy because, last I heard, he had the census-topping 9.2 copy. That Walt Kelly splash page, by the way, is Kelly's first published work in comics.

Gorgeous copy Ciorac. That is one of the nicer copies I have seen; most copies are beat up because of the poor quality paper stock cover. It must have been Filter's undercopy because, last I heard, he had the census-topping 9.2 copy. That Walt Kelly splash page, by the way, is Kelly's first published work in comics.

Thanks Peter! You are right, this was his under copy, lucky me! I've always wanted one, and the Kelly splash is even more amazing when in hand. cloud9.gif

Thanks Peter! You are right, this was his under copy, lucky me! I've always wanted one, and the Kelly splash is even more amazing when in hand. cloud9.gif

I commented on that splash in the other thread but I did not make the connection that Walter C Kelly = Walt Kelly. Nor did I have any idea he started that early in comics, much less did work for DC.

Dankeschon, Bill! You're learnin' us good.

I commented on that splash in the other thread but I did not make the connection that Walter C Kelly = Walt Kelly. Nor did I have any idea he started that early in comics, much less did work for DC.

Dankeschon, Bill! You're learnin' us good.

To round it off, here's the Kelly Gulliver's Travels spread from New Comics # 2 -

1611952-NewComics2WaltKelly.jpg

1611952-NewComics2WaltKelly.jpg.9d4881c7ef1ec95362b84c8f35c4e1b9.jpg

This book arrived today. I have always had a fondness for it, but never owned it, until now. I have also included some interior shots (not of every feature though because this sucker is huge! 84 pages)...

Cool sulfur page by Kiefer! I wonder whether a flat scan of this page exists -- obvously you wouldn't want to destroy the spine of yours by leaning on it. It does look a lot like a Famous Scientists feature in Classics Illustrated.

p1010013-1.jpg

I just had to repeat the Kelly page. Wonderful. Has anyone ever seen a flat scan of this spread? You got me jealous with that one.

P1010014.jpg

Pretty nice deal for your dime! You get Sheldon Mayer, HC Kiefer, Vin Sullivan and Walt Kelly's first artwork....

I'll gladly send you the dime -- plus shipping!

Jack

WOW! Great spread and scan. Is that your own copy? I wonder whether a collection of Kelly's non-Pogo material would sell enough to pay the bills. I'd buy it. What I've seen of his Gremlins strip for Dell/Disney is great.

Thanks,

Jack

To round it off, here's the Kelly Gulliver's Travels spread from New Comics # 2 -

1611952-NewComics2WaltKelly.jpg

This book arrived today. I have always had a fondness for it, but never owned it, until now. I have also included some interior shots (not of every feature though because this sucker is huge! 84 pages)

mm0106.jpg

Pretty nice deal for your dime! You get Sheldon Mayer, HC Kiefer, Vin Sullivan and Walt Kelly's first artwork. Notice the subscription advertisement. I didn't know National offered subs back in 1935, I do now!

Thanks to our own Filter81 for this!

You had me a SHirley Temple!

Cool pre-hero