• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

My wife just gave me this: one of the 3 pre-Batman Tecs that I must have. [insert evil laugh].

Tec18.jpg

Holy smokes! That's gorgeous! How in God's name did you train your wife so well???

It has moderate restoration, with a small piece added to the top front right corner. Also, it's been cleaned and pressed, but the book has a very solid feel to it. The pages are beautiful, although a couple of interior pages have small tears and/or chips. Still, it's in absolutely beautiful shape.

It's taken a lot of training...think of positive reinforcement with what she loves...designer purses, sparkly jewelry, etc. grin.gif Actually, more than anything, I think it's that she loves to see how happy comics make me, and hanging out with forumites in SF and San Diego show that we have a great community.

She even defended the amount she spent with her parents, since she had them charge it so it wouldn't show up on the credit card and ruin the surprise.

You guys must be pulling these books out of thin air because I have seen more super purchases by more fellow board members in the last 6 months than I have in the previous 3 years. Use to only see a few great books every month but now its a daily occurance. I think the GA market has taken over and will dominate for years to come. yay.gif

Can someone fill me in on those bolted down-looking white holders I keep seeing in some pictures, like the one holding the Tec 1?

That's a Fortress. They aren't made anymore and sell for $30-60 apiece now. I think they had multiple mylar layers inside surrounded by heavy plastic which was screwed down on top.

Can someone fill me in on those bolted down-looking white holders I keep seeing in some pictures, like the one holding the Tec 1?

That's a Fortress. They aren't made anymore and sell for $30-60 apiece now. I think they had multiple mylar layers inside surrounded by heavy plastic which was screwed down on top.

1 mylar layer, acid free paper/board stacked to the book's thickness on the edges, and 2 little wells for silica packets that had teeth that liked to jump up and bite the book foreheadslap.gif

Thanks for the answers guys. Because I'm looking around for something like that for my bigger ticket books other than CGC slabs (until the day those are vacuum sealed). Maybe I should stick to mylar? I would hate to have my books decay (not that that's what happens in a slab or anything).

Meanwhile...Just got this in from James Payette...

th_cv-1-fc.gif

yay.gif

I thumbnailed it because I'm addicted to photobucket thanks to the VCC.

Thanks for the answers guys. Because I'm looking around for something like that for my bigger ticket books other than CGC slabs (until the day those are vacuum sealed). Maybe I should stick to mylar? I would hate to have my books decay (not that that's what happens in a slab or anything).

Meanwhile...Just got this in from James Payette...

th_cv-1-fc.gif

yay.gif

I thumbnailed it because I'm addicted to photobucket thanks to the VCC.

Very nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif I like dealing with Jim Payette. I wish he would get in some more Actions.

I use to drool at the Okajima copy when it was listed on Arch Angels, probably the first time I noticed and realized how rare the book was. Rob should have left it on his site as I use to love reading the brief write up on the book/collection.

Was the under bidder on the Crippen copy but really made a half hearted attempt at bidding on it but if I had a chance again I would probably persue it alittle harder.

1637890-Subby32Okajimaslab.jpg

1637890-Subby32Okajimaslab.jpg.7cf3b2d7c4715f92a6bc35ee6d4ddbfa.jpg

Adam is that your book? cloud9.gif

Here's a scan of the photocopy from way back. I don't own this book but I've pretty good idea who does.

1637904-Subby32okajima.jpg

1637904-Subby32okajima.jpg.a9d9d3c1f75eddf87b9afa4ec418c926.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

No kidding! Maybe I should just collect photocopies....

I have photocopies up around the place to make me feel at home. cloud9.gif

This one's kind of cool too. The cover is about China, and the story goes through about 2000 yrs of Chinese history, ending with their (at the time) current struggle against Japan - with obvious ties to WWII.

1635934-reallife5a.JPG

That's a very cool looking book, Dan - history is my other hobby and though I don't own any, I'm really starting to appreicate these type of books (Real Life, Headline, etc.)

893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

That's one of the cheapest high-quality Schomburg covers around!

Love that issue and the historical stories in inside are very enjoyable as well. The history wasn't too badly done, if I remember correctly.